General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Simple, quick all around sets or routine...... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-09 11:42 AM

User image

Subject: Simple, quick all around sets or routine......

OK< goal is to get in the WR 2X /week, simply for core strength, perhaps raise the metabolism a bit, and as a side benefit get a little definition.

But I hate going into the WR, I feel like I have no clue what I am doing, and don't want to spend more than 20 or 30 minutes doing it.  I always feel like I am just wandering around with no purpose, and hop on a machine or grab a weight that suits my fancy.

Anyone have, or have a link to, a basic, all around easy to follow set that i can get in and get out with?

2008-12-09 12:09 PM
in reply to: #1845578

User image

Regular
Lilburn
Subject: RE: Simple, quick all around sets or routine......

I'm doing this one:

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/Mark_Allen_s_12_Best_Strength_Exercises.htm

I'm only into week 2, so I can't speak to what kind of results it gives.

Juanice

2008-12-09 5:31 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

I've went months before when time was scarce that the only exercise I would do in the gym was 3x10 or 2x15  Squat Clean and Press. Takes about 15 minutes, works every major muscle group in the body and will absolutely slab muscle on you. Doing squats or deadlifts the same way would work as well (maybe adding some pushups at the end to work the chest a bit). Crossfit is another option for a limited timeframe.  

This is taking into account you can do the above lifts with good form. If not, take some time to learn the basics.

2008-12-09 8:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Upstate, SC
2 x per week

2 supersets of the following
Rest one minute between each exercise

one-legged leg press - 50
dumbell press - 10
lat pull down -15
good mornings - 30
one arm row - 15
lunges - 30
core - 75
2008-12-09 10:52 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
I normally don't like telling people to buy something because there is tons of free information out there. However, I have made an exception. I highly recommend that you buy this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-2nd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/097680...

Yes, at $30 it's a bit pricier than books out there in the $15-$20 range. But it's worth it. It shows you how to properly do the exercises and includes a really basic program. If you are spending money on a gym membership and feel like you are "just wandering around" then you are essentially wasting the money you spend on the gym membership. Spending another $30 on this book will, in the long run, help you get your money's worth out of your gym membership.

Here is the program:

**Means this is OPTIONAL

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Bent Rows (or power cleans)
**2x8 Chin-ups (recommended mainly if doing the cleans)

Every week make it a goal to increase each of your lifts by 2.5%.

Do workout A one day a week and workout B on another. That's all you need. Since you mentioned that you want to improve core strength, add an ab exercise or two (but you really don't need more than two) at the end of each session. The other lifts will take care of the other parts of the "core," which includes the lower back, and some strength coaches even include the muscles of the hip into the "core."

As tri season approaches, do the same exercises but used a lighter load and do more reps.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Simple, quick all around sets or routine...... Rss Feed