General Discussion Race Reports! » Damascus Bakeries Tucson Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Damascus Bakeries Tucson Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tucson, Arizona
United States
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 50m 55s
Overall Rank = 1235/1461
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 133/142
Pre-race routine:

Got to the "area" of parking about 5:15, took another half hour to go about .5-.75 miles up the road to the parking lot. Traffic was still backed up for as far as you could see down Oracle. Good thing I live on the westside!
Event warmup:

Hit the bathroom, stretched & warmed up, dropped off my bag and got ready to go! Never really felt nervous about the race.
Run
  • 2h 50m 55s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

I did a run interval of .15 miles and a walk interval of .1 miles. I managed to keep this through the entire race until the last interval which I adjusted so that I could run to the finish (otherwise I would have ended on a walk interval). I helped pace a couple people. I made a bathroom break at mile 6.2 and waited so long that when I got going again it was like I was starting the race all over. It was a cold and cloudy day. This was good because you never got hot (in fact I'm glad I kept my disposable jacket with me!), but bad because stopping or slowing cooled you off fast.
What would you do differently?:

Have a long run that is longer than 6.5 miles! I didn't know what was going to happen once I passed that mark. Turns out I felt pretty darn good the whole time. I kept it really easy for the first 3-4 miles, just to get in the groove and not burn up too fast. After the bathroom break I started trying to pick up my run pace a little bit.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a bit, coughed for a good 5 minutes, got some food and sat down before getting cold enough to want to go home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lacking running endurance maybe....

Event comments:

Needs more port-a-potties! The desert might work for some people, but some of us need to use an enclosed facility!

Last updated: 2008-04-10 12:00 AM
Running
02:50:55 | 13.1 miles | 13m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/142
Overall: 0/1461
Performance: Average
Course: Started partway down Biosphere Rd, made a left onto Oracle. That goes all the way into Catalina before making a left onto Wilds Rd to head behind the Basha's. A short jog through the neighborhood before turning into the school and the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-12-09 4:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
Subject: Damascus Bakeries Tucson Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Damascus Bakeries Tucson Half Marathon Rss Feed