User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Subject: RE: HELP! I just got a crock pot
Artemis - 2008-12-16 11:56 AM

nscrbug - 2008-12-09 8:49 PM
lambertjeff - 2008-12-09 7:32 PM

Definitely need to find the rib and brisket recipes...mmm bbqLaughing

Well the basic recipe that I followed for the brisket, was an Emeril recipe that I got off of the Food Network website. But I kinda modified it for a crockpot, because the original recipe called for baking it in the oven...which I thought would dry it out too much. Basically, I took a small brisket (I used a 2-3lb piece of meat, since I'm only feeding 2 people) and rubbed Emeril Essence (you can find this in the spice department at the grocery store) all over it. I wrapped it up tightly in saran wrap and put it in the fridge overnight. The next morning, I prepared the crockpot - put in roughly equal parts of beef stock and your favorite bbq sauce mixed together...I used enough to cover the meat. I had to cut the brisket into a few smaller chunks because my crockpot is small. Place the meat into the stock/bbq sauce, and cook on low for 8 hours. When it's done, I sliced it against the grain...actually, the meat was so tender...it basically fell apart as I was cutting it! Then I used some of the stock/bbq mixture to make more sauce on the side. I spooned out a few ladels of the mix into a saucepan, and added more bbq sauce to it...heat it on low until warm enough. That's pretty much it. I served it on buns, but it was mighty tasty on its own too. Had enough leftovers for 2 more days.

I made this last night.  It was really tasty!!!

Hey, that's great! I'm glad you liked it.

2008-12-26 5:53 PM
in reply to: #1846384

User image

Veteran
Awesome thread. I'm a vegetarian with a new crock pot. Just googled a bunch of recipes.
2008-12-31 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX

This is one of my favorite Mexican meals, and I'm definitely not alone.  This is one of my standard dishes I make when we have guests over, and it's always a big hit.  I usually end up writing out at least two recipe cards whenever I make it for others.  Hope you enjoy it!! 

- - - - -
Smoky Pork Tinga Tacos
from "Mexican Everyday" by Rick Bayless
Makes 10 to 12 servings

1 pound Yukon Gold or red-skin potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces
   NOTE: I usually try to get lean pork chops instead... just less fat to add to my meal
One 28-ounce can diced (NOT crushed) tomatoes, undrained
3 to 4 canned chipotle chiles en adobo, seeded and sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
3 garlic cloves, peeled, and finely chopped
1 medium white onion, sliced 1/4-inch thick
Salt
4 ounces Mexican chorizo sausage, casing removed
   NOTE: The chorizo is optional.  Not everyone likes the flavor.
24 warm corn tortillas
1 cup crumbled Mexican queso fresco or feta cheese **
2 large avocados, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch pieces

Spread the potatoes over the bottom of a slow-cooker and top with the pork cubes. In a large bowl mix the undrained tomatoes with the chipotles and the tablespoon of adobo sauce, Worcestershire, oregano, garlic, onion and 11/2 teaspoons salt. Pour the mixture over the meat and potatoes. Cover and slow-cook on high for 6 hours; the dish can hold on the slow-cooker's "keep-warm" function for 4 more hours or so.

When ready to serve, uncover the pork tinga and spoon off the fat accumulated on top. Fry the optional chorizo in an 8-inch skillet until thoroughly cooked, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle on the chorizo over the tinga then stir, breaking the pork into smaller pieces. Taste and season with added salt if needed.

2009-01-06 12:06 PM
in reply to: #1847631

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Skippy74 - 2008-12-10 2:17 PM OK since we're doing BBQ---I got a pretty good one from Food Network for pulled pork in the crock pot---I was very pleased with how easy/good/tender it was the first time I made it (it was a huge hit for father-in-law's birthday...).  I've doubled the recipe and it worked just fine---

1 large Vidalia or other sweet onion, sliced
3 pounds pork butt, rinsed and patted dry
Salt and pepper
1 cup barbeque sauce (use your favorite...)
1/2 cup yellow mustard
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup chicken broth
1 lime, juiced
hamburger buns, for serving

Place onions in the bottom of a 5-quart slow cooker. Season pork butt with salt and pepper. Place in slow cooker on top of onions, fat side up.

In a medium bowl, stir together barbeque sauce, mustard, tomato paste, chicken broth and lime juice. Pour over pork. Cover and cook on LOW setting for 6 to 8 hours.

Remove pork and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Use forks to pull apart the pork for serving.

I made this on Sunday this past weekend and it was awesome!  My 15 yo son basically only eats meat and he devoured it!  Wouldn't even use a napkin between bite (lovely).
2009-01-06 3:29 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
My mom and I are crock pot fanatics. She bought me the "Fix It and Forget It! Cookbook". She gave me the diabetic version which differs from the original version in that it details the nutritional information in the sidebar. Tasty tasty tasty.

The big one:
http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Forget-Big-Cookbook-Recipes/dp/156148640X...

A 5 Ingredient version
http://www.amazon.com/Forget-5-ingredient-Favorites-Phyllis-Pellman...

And the light version
http://www.amazon.com/FIX-FORGET-LIGHTLY-Healthy-Low-Fat/dp/1561484...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HELP! I just got a crock pot Rss Feed  

of 2