General Discussion Triathlon Talk » LUMBAR FUSION L5 S1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-09 7:50 PM

Regular
Subject: LUMBAR FUSION L5 S1
Im now sitting in my back brace typing this and was wondering if anyone has had back surgery and came back racing again!!!My last race was on august of 2007 .I have been in so much pain from then and im also a fulltime firefighter,so I have been living on painkillers just to get through my shifts havent be able to train at all because of the pain.I finally told myself i have to do somthing because i cant go on like this so I went to a spine doctor and had nerve test an mri done.I got my results back and i had a degenerative disk L5 S1, so I set up to do a lumbar microdesectemy.I had tried everthing epidural shots everything nothing worked so when they cut me open everthing was on the left side they got in there and found that my nerves was conjoied so they had to stop the operation it was very rare.Im just thankful i had a great surgeon to not cut through that nerve or i would not have any mobility.So after that we waited till after thanksgiving to go back in,and they cut me open again and found my nerves were like a vine tethered around the disk it was crazy not to mention i had two cyst filled with fluid oN the nerves.Plus the disk was totally gone so it was rubbing it was very rare so they did the fusion with two screws and the cage inserts,I stayed in the hospital for 4 days post op.I have no pain at all in my left leg and foot.Im just wanting to start training eventually but i have to be very strong and not give up!!!!I will be off from work for the next 2 months so its just going to be a challenge but i can do it have raced alot of races being boise 70.3 last year but after that its been downhill,I was just wondering has anyone recovered from back surgery and racing again
thank you FIREFIGHTER BILOXI MISSISSIPPI HURRICANE ALLEY

2008-12-12 12:15 PM
in reply to: #1846579

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: LUMBAR FUSION L5 S1

Wow - I never stop in on this forum and just happened to today.

I have a fusion done of L4-L5 three years ago this coming January.  Started my life off doing serious gymnastics for 7 or 8 years as a kid.  I have been a kickboxer, weight lifter, etc. Before back surgery I was a runner for about 10 years.  Did 2 marathons and countless halfs.  My back pain was so bad by the time I decided to have surgery (at the age of 46) that I couldn't walk or stand for more than about 15-20 minutes without pain that brought me to a seated position (weird thing is I could run with no pain and even did a 1/2 mary Nov before my surgery and ran up to day of surgery).

I have about 8 screws and a titanium cage.  Was also in the hospital for four days and out of work for one month before going back part time for about 6 weeks.  From the moment I was allowed to get out of my bed and walk I did.  Did way more than expected of me in the hospital.  When I went home I waiting patiently everyday for my then middle schooler to get home and take me and the dog for a walk.  Started off only being able to go up and down my block for weeks.  Borrowed a treadmill from my brother and walked on that a couple times a day.  Walked as much as I was allowed and then some.  

A few months into recovery my doc allowed me to begin lifting weights and riding the stationary bike.  Weird thing is he allowed me to gradually lift weights as much as I wanted but no major aerobic expercise.  I hired a personal trainer and went to town.  Lifted weights probably 5 days a week building up. 

Six months in I was permitted to begin spinning classes.

A year in I bought a road bike cause I missed the long distance endorphins.  That first summer I had my bike I rode all the time.  Even did a century by the end of the season! 

While I was building my mileage on the bike I was lonely and searched for groups to join.  I ended up biking with a triathlon club.  That first summer I did two all women sprint tris.  Didn't train for them, just did then. 

Then I caught the bug and last January hired a tri coach.  Started running just a little a couple times a week.  This past summer/season I did 3 State/3 Mountain Century, 6 sprints and 2 Olys.  Got a couple of first places in my age group and one third in the sprints. 

After the tri season ended I started running more with no problems.  Somehow ended up doing a 9 miler.  Went to the back doc the week of thanksgiving looking for his blessing to do 1/2 marys and HIMs.  And believe it or not - got it!  He did an xray and my back has made so much new bone.  The fear with fusions is that the discs above and below can become weak since the fustion is going nowhere, but I have no problems.

Long story I know.  But hope it gives you hope.  I know that I am not the rule and more like the exception but if you have determination it goes a long, long way. 

I will end with telling you that the first year after the fusion was tough.  I would say it really took me a full year to recover.  About 2 months after the surgery I started having some excrutiating pain in the muscles next to the spine.  Doc could not explain it but I could not roll over in bed or sit up.  Had to get my kids to help.  But it passed with time and healing.   So be patient - you have a long road ahead of you.  But there is hope!

Good luck and hope you feel better soon!

2008-12-12 5:31 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
You should be fine.  Just make sure you have your surgeons approval and your fusion is healed before you start high impact training again.  (probably about 3 months post op) You will probably be allowed to swim and ride the trainer first.  Its a GOD THING they fused you No worries sounds like you have an excellent team
2008-12-12 9:41 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

I had a hemilamonectomy on L4 in 2001...no fusion, and they claim the spine is stable, with no difference in support from a normal spine. No pain, no nuttiness going on with the back. I've run maybe 20 marathons on it, and a buncha HIM's, so there's hope. We seem to be good.

But I feel you. In 2001, I went though the insurance company wringer of trying to figure out what was wrong....and how to fixit....in this order: Physical Therapy, Muscle relaxants, Accupuncture, Hyptnosis, Pain Meds. Took 9 months to get through all that crap, and when I got done, I was addicted to pain meds. Or at least dependent. I couldn't tie my own shoes.

But getting the surgery in 2001 was a godsend, Dr. Paul Maurer out of Rochester, NY. Among other things, he did Ted Turner's back. He operates on less than 10% of his consults, testimony to his conservative approach to surgery. Outstanding dude.

And, as a sidenote, that's how I picked up tri's...something to test me, to see if I was still a competent, physical human being. Hell, if I can do a tri, I have to be OK, no?  Good luck, and let me know if you need support / anything else.

2008-12-13 10:49 AM
in reply to: #1851226

Regular
Thank you very much Lisa!!!!I have to think positive about this and do everything my surgeon says.My job as a full time firefighter for 17 years has contributed to my injuries with my back,so I just have 8 more years befoe reterment so I just want to race again and do those things that I used to do!!Thank u very much
Clay Shuttleworth
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » LUMBAR FUSION L5 S1 Rss Feed