General Discussion Race Reports! » Sugar Land Surgical Hospital Turkey Trot Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sugar Land Surgical Hospital Turkey Trot - Run5 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sugar Land, Texas
United States
Finish Line Sports
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 35m 42s
Overall Rank = 87/701
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/28
Pre-race routine:

Started the day by running with Alexa in her first Turkey Trot (1 mile). She did great! (Finished in 14:14.)
Event warmup:

I was late for the start b/c I'd left my run number back in the restroom. So I had to sprint back to the gas station. Fortunately, but I made it back just as the last runners were crossing the timing mat.

Run
  • 35m 42s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Caught up to Beth in the first quarter mile and goosed her as I passed. :) Starting at the back meant I was constantly passing people. I think only one person passed me, and I eventually reeled him back in during the last mile.

Really strong finish during the last mile. I passed someone younger guy near the start of the last mile, then he tried to hang on and overtake. I let him lead for a bit, but eventually passed him and held him off for the rest of it. Overall a really solid run, considering I haven't been very consistent with the training recently.
What would you do differently?:

Missed the 7th place spot by under 2.5 seconds! Starting the final push a tenth of a mile earlier might have helped. Or even just starting near the front of the pack, so I didn't have to spend time dodging people in the first mile (including running on the grassy median some.)
Post race
Warm down:

Finished my run then jogged back to find Beth and finish her run with her. The went back to catch up with my parents, who were pushing the kids in the stroller on the 2.8mi walk.

When I reached them, Alexa got out to run some more, then she started running ahead and didn't want to stop and wait for the stroller, so I ran with her the last .75mi to her second finish of the day!

Total: ~ another 3.3 miles

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inconsistent training the past 6 weeks.

Event comments:

A well-run race, especially for just a 5K. The Kids event was well done. Lots of giveaways afterwards, as well as nicely stocked food -- bananas, oranges, cookies, popcorn, cake, soda.

I liked the bagpiper near the finish. That guy had stamina. I was running back and forth many times, and he was playing nonstop.

Last updated: 2008-12-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:35:42 | 05 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/28
Overall: 0/701
Performance: Good
Overall HR: avg: 173 max:198 Splits: 1) 7:31 (HR: 165/171) 2) 7:13 (HR: 169/171) 3) 7:27 (HR: 171/173) 4) 7:24* 5) 6:08* (HR: 181/198) * The split on these two is approximate. I looked at my watch, but didn't hit the split button right.
Course: Single loop. Pretty much dead flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-12-09 11:08 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Subject: Sugar Land Surgical Hospital Turkey Trot
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sugar Land Surgical Hospital Turkey Trot Rss Feed