United States
Elite Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 03m 21s
Overall Rank = 4984/7618
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 348/595
Pre-race routine:

Got up at the hotel and put on all my stuff. Got in the car to drive to the remote parking location. Once we finally parked, we waited in line in the cold for a long time. We were still on the bus at the time of race start, so I didn't have time to eat anything before I started running. I had caffinated sport beans on the bus.
Event warmup:

There was no time for warmup. We walked from the bus drop off to the start, waited in line for the porta potties and to gear check, and then rushed to the start just in time to catch my wave, #19.
Run
  • 5h 03m 21s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a good run, but I should have gone just a little faster at the beginning. My pace girl wasn't very good and I was essentially pacing her. I kept saying that we were about a minute or so behind, but it didn't really hit her until mile 20 when she decided we should shave off 30sec/mile to make the goal. The whole point of running with her was to have someone run even splits and help me push through. At 20 I tried to keep up with the new pace, but I was too tired and couldn't hold it. It caused me to be a little nauseous and I ended up walking around 23 when I had not walked at all before that. My goal was 5:00 and it just slipped away. I ran hard and think I gave it about all I had, so I was ok with just getting a 2 second PR, but still disappointed I hadn't run my own race and gotten the 5 hr goal.
What would you do differently?:

In that case I should have paced myself like I know how and ran my own race. I also would not have agreed to carry the stupid sign for what ended up being over two miles while the pacer stopped to go to the bathroom. In the wind it was just not a good idea. I also wish I'd had time to eat something before the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered through the food area, found J, and sat on the pavement resting and eating some food while we waited for the ridiculous bus lines to clear.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly bad pace management early.

Event comments:

This was an inaugural race and honestly after this experience I am not sure I'd do another inaugural race in the future. The race itself was decent, there was adequate drinks when I went through all the stations, but the "preferred parking" option was a DISASTER. We've done quite a few of these elite races and left more time than usual for the bus and we still missed the start by at least half an hour, and there were many people in line behind us, who I am sure were very very late to start. I'd give the race a couple of years to work out the kinks and issues before I'd do it again.

Last updated: 2008-12-06 12:00 AM
Running
05:03:21 | 26.2 miles | 11m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 348/595
Overall: 4984/7618
Performance: Good
5 Km 36:09 6 Mile 1:10:41 10 Mile 1:55:11 Half 2:31:01 17 Mile 3:14:14 20 Mile 3:49:56 24 Mile 4:39:46
Course: The first half was pretty cool winding through the city, but the second half was almost an out and back to the middle of nowhere. There were a few more hills the second half, but not really what I would classify as a "hilly" course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2008-12-10 9:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Subject: San Antonio Marathon

2008-12-10 9:30 PM
in reply to: #1848385

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
Subject: RE: San Antonio Marathon
Congrats!  I had a friend that did the half due to injury.  She was really sad to not do the full marathon.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Antonio Marathon Rss Feed