General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming and shoulder pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-12 3:08 PM

New user
Subject: Swimming and shoulder pain
I'm currently training for my 2nd triathlon. I've been keeping up with swimming for the last year without any problems and suddenly I have severe shoulder pain with swimming only. I'm pretty sure it's an overuse injury of my rotator cuff. I've been icing and doing some rehab exercises, but it doesn't change anything when I swim. Any ideas? Am I possibly swimming incorrectly?

2008-12-12 3:11 PM
in reply to: #1851688

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
Subject: RE: Swimming and shoulder pain
I'm no swim coach so I'm sure the authorities will chime in, but when you swim try and pull with your lats not your shoulder. Pulling from your shoulder uses a small muscle to do a lot work, while using the lats allows a much larger muscle group to do the work
2008-12-12 3:40 PM

User image

Modesto, California

Without a look at your stroke it would be difficult to determine the root cause of your shoulder pain, It does not seem you are swimming too much, it could be your stroke. 

It could be lack of flexibility causing you to compensate during your stroke. Do you stretch before you swim, back,tri,shoulders?

Next time in the pool look at your stroke underwater where your hands are entering, they should enter out in front of your head and not even with it, your hand should enter straight forward and down at an angle, see if your hand darts to the left or right when it goes underwater, this could cause pain as you start your pull, you want to keep your elbow high and your hand going straight as you reach. Another thing to check is your pull, again keep your elbow high and bring your hand straight back, make sure your hand stays close to your body and does not go away or under your body as it reaches your hip. These are things you can check yourself, slow down your stroke and have a look.

2008-12-12 3:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Gig Harbor

(I really don't know what I'm doing) But I have heard that if you ALWAYS breath on one side - the opposite shoulder takes more of a beating - try bi-lateral breathing!

2008-12-12 4:06 PM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
If the shoulder in question is NOT on your breathing side, you may be pushing up with that arm to help you breathe. If your arm is extended and you're pressing down with your hand, you put a tremendous load on your shoulder. I speak from experience here...

Also, be sure to complete your stroke (brush thumbs to thighs).

And, like someone else said, make sure your arms don't cross the centerline of your body.

Edited by jeffy_101 2008-12-12 4:07 PM
2008-12-12 5:48 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

How often and how far are you swimming?  Does it hurt when you pull underwater or or during arm recovery out of the water?  Dominant breathing side or non-dominant side?

If you're a typical BT triathlete, the pain is likely cause by poor stroke mechanics, not overuse from too much yardage.   If this is the case you should have someone look at your stroke.

If you're a pretty serious swimmer, it could just be plain overuse.

FWIW I just spent 6 months out of the water due to a shoulder problem.  I'm convinced it was cause by a combination of:

1)  Poor stroke mechanics (I was a college swimmer back in the day, but it happens to the best of us )

2)  Poor shoulder flexibility (I never stretched)

3)  Not enough warmup (I'd arrive late to too many 6 am practices)

4)  Diving off the blocks (big jolts to inflexible shoulders when entering the water) a bunch of times at a 3 day swim meet.

5)  Racing sprints (though it might be the diving more than the sprinting)

6)  Back-to-back workouts.  Given all the above problems I need more time to recover.

7)  Swimming butterfly when I knew I shouldn't.

8)  Thinking that I could and should be swimming like I did 25 years ago, though I hadn't swum during 23 of them.

I hope this helps a bit.

Brian 

2008-12-12 6:49 PM

User image

Veteran
NYC
It's tough to say without seeing your stroke, but the number one cause of shoulder pain in beginner swimmers is:

1. Crossing over the centerline with your extended arm
2. Because of the cross over, you drop your elbow and are too deep with your pull

Take some power out of your pull for a few laps and see if it feels better. If that helps you can get a coach or another swimmer to look at your stroke and teach you the proper positioning on your arm extension/pull.

2008-12-12 10:38 PM
in reply to: #1851906

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
famelec - 2008-12-12 3:48 PM

How often and how far are you swimming?  Does it hurt when you pull underwater or or during arm recovery out of the water?  Dominant breathing side or non-dominant side?

If you're a typical BT triathlete, the pain is likely cause by poor stroke mechanics, not overuse from too much yardage.   If this is the case you should have someone look at your stroke.

If you're a pretty serious swimmer, it could just be plain overuse.

FWIW I just spent 6 months out of the water due to a shoulder problem.  I'm convinced it was cause by a combination of:

1)  Poor stroke mechanics (I was a college swimmer back in the day, but it happens to the best of us )

2)  Poor shoulder flexibility (I never stretched)

3)  Not enough warmup (I'd arrive late to too many 6 am practices)

4)  Diving off the blocks (big jolts to inflexible shoulders when entering the water) a bunch of times at a 3 day swim meet.

5)  Racing sprints (though it might be the diving more than the sprinting)

6)  Back-to-back workouts.  Given all the above problems I need more time to recover.

7)  Swimming butterfly when I knew I shouldn't.

8)  Thinking that I could and should be swimming like I did 25 years ago, though I hadn't swum during 23 of them.

I hope this helps a bit.

Brian 

I think this covers it. Having managed shoulder pain over the years, it is never a simple equation. If you are not well schooled in swimming technique, it's time to do so now, or get the help from a coach. Barring a traumatic injury, advanced age (65+), or high yardage (7500 to 10,000 a day) and high intensity, you should be able to address it by improving your form.

2008-12-13 7:52 AM

User image

Regular
All of the above have very valid suggestions. You should get it checked first by a physical therapist or orthopedic doctor to assess if there is a possible tear, lack of flexibility etc. Then you can treat it appropriately.

Now is the time to do this as it is the off season and rehab should start and you could get back to your training quickly for the upcoming season.
2008-12-13 10:06 PM
in reply to: #1852438

User image

Champion
I second the advice of leadhead1944 -- get it checked by someone reputable! I "strained" my shoulder late in the '06 season, and once it was diagnosed as an impingement, I faced several months without swimming -- which gave me lots of open time for the physical therapy that was required! I was 57-turning-58 at the time, so certainly my flexibility was not what it should be, and age brings about slower recovery times, anyhow. If you're a young(er) pup you might fare better in all respects with this, but as a precaution get it checked as soon as possible.
2008-12-14 8:59 PM
in reply to: #1851760

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
The Nat - 2008-12-12 4:47 PM

(I really don't know what I'm doing) But I have heard that if you ALWAYS breath on one side - the opposite shoulder takes more of a beating - try bi-lateral breathing!

X2

I had the same exact problem and swithed to alternate breathing (bi-lateral) and it went away.  I am not as comfortable with it yet, so I've tried going back (because I can fly going to only one side) and the pain came right back.  Try breathing to both sides. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming and shoulder pain Rss Feed