New Zealand
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke early to eat breakfast and stretch. Arrived at the start half hour before gun fired.
Event warmup:

IT WAS SOOOO COLD. The lake was positively icy. I put the wetsuit on early and jumped around with my friends as we procrastinated about getting in the water.
Swim
  • 1h 00m
  • 2500 meters
  • 02m 24s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was so cold that I swam like I was being chased by a shark. It was kind of a mental game since I was swimming in a fresh water lake in the middle of New Zealand.
What would you do differently?:

I would have done more swims in cold water. It really does take your breath away for the first 500 meters or so.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

For the first time ever, I began peddaling and found that I had left my bike in the wrong gear. I was spinning my legs and the chain came off. It was embarrassing and slow.

Do a trial that morning to make sure I am in the correct gear for taking off in a hurry.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 90 kms
  • 0.00 km/hr
Comments:

I could not let go of handlebars long enough to get drink or food. I also had goosebumps the whole time because I couldn't get dry from the swim. Then with the hale...things just got worse. At least I finished. Most women in my division bailed out.

Watch the weather more carefully. If there is any chance of cold weather, I would carry arm or leg warmers (at least). It was exhausting to be shivering while trying to complete a half ironman.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I very nearly dropped out of the race during this transition. I was so miserable that I told my trainer I was going to throw my bike in the lake rather than rack it up. Luckily he stopped me from actually tossing my bike. He literally kicked me in the ass and made me start the run.

Serve hot chocolate.
Run
  • 2h 39m
  • 23 kms
  • 06m 55s  min/km
Comments:

I was lucky to have a trainer and my husband and 6 other girls from the gym with me. The volunteers had grown tired of picking up cups as they blew off the tables before being drunk, so they had retreated to their cars. No stations for food or water could have been a huge disaster, but my hubbie filled his pockets with stuff and followed me along on bike to act as portable station. No one was angry because there were no stations left due to the freezing cold storm that was blowing through and he hooked up everyone near me that needed anything.

Watch the weather and have a waistbelt stocked up and ready to go in case of the same scenario. But, honestly, who would have expected all the refueling stations to have been blown away and/or packed up. I mean- I was well within the time limit.
Post race
Warm down:

I went straight to a massage tent and then Burger King.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather and insufficient clothing.

Event comments:

The race could have been beautiful. The course was fine; initially there were volunteers; it was suitably organized. BUT THE WEATHER! My goodness. I could deal without cold fronts making their way through my course. It made it twice as hard to finish. But it also made me twice as proud to finish since so many others quit.

Last updated: 2005-03-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:00:00 | 2500 meters | 02m 24s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: The course was long and measured improperly because they had not factored in the the distance between the rounding buoy and the beach. I thought that I had had a terrible swim after checking my watch in transition, but then it turned out that everyone else agreed that we had all had bad times.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:00:00 | 90 kms | 0.00 km/hr
Performance: Bad
I had a great time on the way out to the 45 k mark, but then I turned around and had a hideous time coming upwind for the second half of the trip.
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Fairly flat course. 45 out and 45 back on a long straight road through cow pastures and pine forests. Unfortunately a storm was coming from the direction of the lake. It gave a very helpful push for 45 k and then it made life miserable on the way back. Eventually it began to rain and hail. I was not carrying arm or leg warmers and I suffered greatly for it.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:39:00 | 23 kms | 06m 55s  min/km
Performance: Average
2 laps of a lakeside course.
Course: flatter than a flat thing
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-03-08 10:37 PM

Subject: Taupo Half Ironman

2005-03-09 1:58 PM
in reply to: #127095

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Taupo Half Ironman
I got cold just reading about your race. Sounds absolutely miserable!!! I would have wanted to quit too. I hate being cold and you were freezing for hours. But you did it and you should be very proud of yourself for not quiting. I need a trainer like yours, who will literally kick me to motivate me.

Nice job!
2005-03-10 2:12 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Wow! Great job sticking with it and finishing in those conditions! And a 1/2 IM to boot!
2005-03-11 9:21 PM

User image

Champion
MA
You preservered in the midst of horrible conditions...you should be triple proud of your success and ability to finish.

Great job!!

Your coach and hubby were great to support and keep you motivated.

Kathy
2005-03-12 6:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Congratulations on the 1/2 IM...sounds like a tough one and sounds like you've gained some mental toughness which I would think will benefit you in future races.
2005-03-12 6:13 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
wow, good for you for sticking it out.  I think I woulda bailed!  Just remember, that which doesn't kill us only serves to make us stronger!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Taupo Half Ironman Rss Feed