of 2

2008-12-17 8:30 PM
in reply to: #1860145

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Dog adoption...
Whizzzzz - 2008-12-17 6:27 PM

Looks like a boxer/beagle to me.

That must have been an interesting mating session.

That's what I thought. Boxer/beagle. Boxer and some kind of hound, for sure.

2008-12-17 9:25 PM
in reply to: #1853243

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
They just want to make sure your not like a Michael Vick.
2008-12-17 10:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

you be the judge..I agree looks like a pit mix to me!?

pitbull  boxer

2008-12-18 4:45 AM

User image

Expert
Madison
Congratulations!  It doesn't matter what it looks like he is (although those soulful brown eyes are beautiful).  He looks like a great dog!
2008-12-18 6:48 AM
in reply to: #1860438

User image

Champion

I admit that when I saw this thread originally, it made me nervous.  It was coming at the same time that I was beginning the adoption process from a rescue group.  Thankfully, my experience was quite different and, last night, I made a choice that will change my life and the life of a very special guy.

He had been picked up from the Hillsborough Animal Shelter a few days ago, by the Labrador Retriever Rescue group, and delivered to a foster home.  He had been dropped off at the animal shelter by a family that couldn't afford to keep him any more.  He was diagnosed with heartworms and, while curable, it is a costly treatment.  Even though I have adopted him and he will be my dog, the LRR are covering the cost of treatments for him.  Normally, they wouldn't even adopt a dog until he had finished undergoing treatments.  However, since I work from home and am the only one in my house, LRR actually preferred for him to come home sooner since my environment will be more conducive to recovery.  I have to make sure he stays calm (no running/frisbee or extended interaction with other dogs) for 2 months while he is being treated, and take him to the vet a couple of times.  Afterwards, he should be as healthy as a horse.  Which is good; because he is built like one! 

I didn't bring him home yet because I am going to NC next week to visit my family.  Being in a shelter is traumatic enough, that I didn't want to bring him home, let him get settled here for a week and put him right back in a doggy camp for 3 days.  I paid for the adoption and he is officially mine but he is going to stay at the foster mom's house as a regular camper until I get back next weekend.

So, without further ado, I present to you, my new 74-pound wonder...Brendan.

Edited by CubeFarmGopher 2008-12-18 6:50 AM

(Brendan Tile_small.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Brendan Tile_small.jpg (58KB - 12 downloads)
2008-12-18 8:17 AM
in reply to: #1860485

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
CubeFarmGopher - 2008-12-18 7:48 AM

I admit that when I saw this thread originally, it made me nervous.  It was coming at the same time that I was beginning the adoption process from a rescue group.  Thankfully, my experience was quite different and, last night, I made a choice that will change my life and the life of a very special guy.

He had been picked up from the Hillsborough Animal Shelter a few days ago, by the Labrador Retriever Rescue group, and delivered to a foster home.  He had been dropped off at the animal shelter by a family that couldn't afford to keep him any more.  He was diagnosed with heartworms and, while curable, it is a costly treatment.  Even though I have adopted him and he will be my dog, the LRR are covering the cost of treatments for him.  Normally, they wouldn't even adopt a dog until he had finished undergoing treatments.  However, since I work from home and am the only one in my house, LRR actually preferred for him to come home sooner since my environment will be more conducive to recovery.  I have to make sure he stays calm (no running/frisbee or extended interaction with other dogs) for 2 months while he is being treated, and take him to the vet a couple of times.  Afterwards, he should be as healthy as a horse.  Which is good; because he is built like one! 

I didn't bring him home yet because I am going to NC next week to visit my family.  Being in a shelter is traumatic enough, that I didn't want to bring him home, let him get settled here for a week and put him right back in a doggy camp for 3 days.  I paid for the adoption and he is officially mine but he is going to stay at the foster mom's house as a regular camper until I get back next weekend.

Brendan rocks!  Congrats.

2008-12-18 8:19 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
CubeFarmGopher - 2008-12-18 7:48 AM

Awww, that's a happy pup right there!
2008-12-18 10:08 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

So last night we were talking about names for the dog. The step-daughter kept coming up with common names. I said it needs to be unique (something that wouldn't come up in normal conversation), and short, maybe we should look at foreign languages or mythology.

So we came up with Thor.

Hopefully he won't fully live up to the name...

2008-12-18 10:12 AM
in reply to: #1860914

briderdt - 2008-12-18 11:08 AM

So last night we were talking about names for the dog. The step-daughter kept coming up with common names. I said it needs to be unique (something that wouldn't come up in normal conversation), and short, maybe we should look at foreign languages or mythology.

So we came up with Thor.

Aw, that's nice I used to sit for a family that had a doggie named Thor. He definitely was the opposite of his name

That's the thing with shelter dogs - usually they come with a stupid "dog" name cuz some lame-o family wasn't creative. Our first shelter dog was "King", the second, a yellow lab named Bailey. I HATE the name Bailey for a yellow-colored dog - it's definitely up there on the list of boring commonplace dog names. Everyone names their damn lab or golden retriever Bailey. But he was like 3 years old, would have just confused him. King ended up being called "Bud" most of the time - he was my dad's "Buddy".

Thor is very cute And yeah, some sort of hound mix, it looks. Boxer/hound is a good guess.

2008-12-18 12:51 PM

User image

Expert
Madison

Brendan is sooo cool!  Big Black Dogs ROCK!!! Did you know they are generally the last to be adopted at shelters and Animal Controls?  They are my own personal favorite.

Congrats!!

2008-12-18 12:53 PM
in reply to: #1861412

runs_with_jasper - 2008-12-18 1:51 PM

Brendan is sooo cool!  Big Black Dogs ROCK!!! Did you know they are generally the last to be adopted at shelters and Animal Controls?  They are my own personal favorite.

Congrats!!

Aw,  that's sad, but not surprising - big black dogs look scary. Though labs at least, are anything but. Our old guy was a big black (and some brown) dog and he was past his "expiration date" - luckily, we got him

2008-12-18 2:56 PM
in reply to: #1860931

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
wurkit_gurl - 2008-12-18 9:12 AM
briderdt - 2008-12-18 11:08 AM

So we came up with Thor.

Aw, that's nice I used to sit for a family that had a doggie named Thor. He definitely was the opposite of his name

That's the thing with shelter dogs - usually they come with a stupid "dog" name cuz some lame-o family wasn't creative. Our first shelter dog was "King", the second, a yellow lab named Bailey. I HATE the name Bailey for a yellow-colored dog - it's definitely up there on the list of boring commonplace dog names. Everyone names their damn lab or golden retriever Bailey. But he was like 3 years old, would have just confused him. King ended up being called "Bud" most of the time - he was my dad's "Buddy".

Thor is very cute And yeah, some sort of hound mix, it looks. Boxer/hound is a good guess.

My dogs are classic cases of this!  Misty and Sweetie...I hate their names but they answered to them too well.  I will admit to calling "hey dummies" once in awhile and they actually walk over.

2008-12-18 3:35 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
CubeFarmGopher - 2008-12-18 6:48 AM

That is awesome.  Congrats.  We have a 60 pound female black lab.  They are wonderful dogs. 

2008-12-21 4:02 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: Final update

We picked up the dog (Thor) yesterday, and he was one day post-op. Seemed pretty quiet in the Humane Society holding area. I had to pick him up to get him into the back of my Escape. The drive home went well. The only thing he seemed to get excited about was the rear window wiper, and even then it was just an attention-getter. We stopped by Top Foods on the way home, and I and my step-daughter stayed in the car with him. I took him on a short walk so he could do #1 (which he did in gallons!), and then he got right back into the car on his own.

This dog is SO great! Accepts that we are the alphas immediately, knows a couple of the basics (we'll be doing a lot of work with him), and loves going on walks (without having to sniff every square inch of ground). One finger on the leash was all it took. The cat is still a bit of an issue, but that's mostly the cat's fault. Oh, but the 2:30am potty breaks needs to go...

I finished the fenced area in the back yard just about an hour ago, so now there's an area outside (upper deck and lower area partially grass) that we can connect to the inside via a pet door. We'll have to lock the cat out of that room though. That would be for times when we're going to be gone.

So anyway, thanks for all your thoughts. I'm glad we did this.

2008-12-21 4:10 PM
in reply to: #1866065

User image

Master
"Home of Superman"
Subject: RE: Final update

Congrats on the new member of your family and thanks for saving a life.   Rescue dogs make the BEST pets.  You will enjoy making the memories.  What a Christmas present for you, your family, and Thor!

Cheers!

2008-12-22 1:15 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
super cute Thor...how much does he weigh? Hard to tell from the photos...He looks kind of like our Ripley, she's 20 months old now but we've only had her for 2 months (SPCA). People tell us she looks like a boxer/ridgeback/pit mix...she plays like a boxer though and can run so fast!

here's my girl...

(ripley4_opt.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
ripley4_opt.jpg (62KB - 8 downloads)

2008-12-22 7:07 AM
in reply to: #1866065

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Final update
briderdt - 2008-12-21 5:02 PM

The cat is still a bit of an issue, but that's mostly the cat's fault.

It took about 3-4 months before the cat finally came around.  We had her first so when Boo came home she had the, "And when is this thing leaving" attitude.  Eventually, they got along.  Even to the point where Boo would be sleeping and Sammi would walk over and bat her on the butt.  Boo would glance at her and Sammi would do it again.  Then it became a game of chase me under the Dining room chairs. 

Give them each time.

2008-12-22 8:20 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
So glad that the new arrival is settling in! Gotta love those pound pups.
2008-12-22 9:09 AM
in reply to: #1866811

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I'm guessing, but probably about 35 lbs (and a bit skinny). He'll probably put on another 5 lbs for health. His head is about knee-high to me.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Dog adoption... Rss Feed  

of 2