Headfirst Performance
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 27m 33s
Overall Rank = 102/177
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I ended up deciding to do this at the very last minute. You see, unfortunately, given the current economic pressure being faced by local governments, many are forced to tightly constrain their budgets. Normally I would agree with the general premise that government budgets can and should be reduced to eliminate waste where it exists.

However, it caused me to rethink that premise when a recent action by the Louisville City Council really hit home. They made the budgetary decision, among others, to PERMANENTLY close Otter Creek Park, effective January 1st. Don't get me wrong, it never made sense that the park was owned by the city. It's not even in the same county! But there was no mention that the local government made any effort to seek a transfer of ownership prior to making the decision.

This is a great park, one which given its setting along the Ohio River and the array of facilities places it right up there with some of the best Kentucky state parks. (In fact, my hope is that the Commonwealth will take over the property soon).

Regardless of the hope that the park will eventually reopen, there was at least a reasonably (if small) likelihood that it wouldn't. So I signed up to run a race I had eventually wanted to run, because there was the possibility it would be the last running ever.

Oh . . . this space was intended for "pre-race routine", not a socio-political diatribe.

. . . I woke up early and got coffee and a cinnamon roll on the drive to the park.
Event warmup:

Warm-up??? Oh yeah, achieved that by walking into the heated park headquarters to register. It was cold and windier than hell outside.
Run
  • 1h 35m
  • 8 miles
  • 11m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Even though I do about half of my running on the trails around Lake Freeman, I'd never done a trail race before. The 8 milers went first, and it was interesting to experience the funnel effect of a hundred runners getting squeezed into a two-abreast trail.

The first 3 miles were characterized by a gentle up and down, trending downward and lots of exposed roots. I never fell and never saw anyone else either, but that wasn't for lack of potential. The first 3 miles were also pretty fun. How can you not enjoy hopping over rocks in the creek beds, and peeling out in the occasional muddy sections?

Between mile ~3 and the aid station at 4.5, I started to reconsider my last-minute registration. Even though I had dressed as minimally as I felt I could, I still began to overheat. Took off the hat first, then one glove, then the other in a effort moderate things.

I walked for the first time on the spur to the aid station, where I had some water and some HEED and couple of cookies. As I walked out of the aid station I felt surprisingly stronger, and took off at a decent pace.

Then I met Da HILL. I'm guessing this section of the trail was created before the invention of switchbacks, or perhaps was just a result of a mashochistic RD, as the course had us climb from river level up 240 feet to the top of the ridge above, in just over .25 miles.

Da Hill took whatever confidence had been obtained at the aid station and squashed it like a bug. Killed me . . . and thankfully (for my ego) most of the folks around me. The last three miles were primarily downward, and would have been really fun, had it not been for Da Hill. I did eventually begin to recover, and by about mile 6.5 I was running consistently. I finished the race with a solid kick over the last half mile. It felt so good to see the finish line.

On a side note: I just can't get my mind wrapped around the psychology involved with the folks choosing the 16 mile and marathon options. I mean, the marathoners see a pyschological finish line THREE different times! That takes a level of fitness and mental fortitude that I don't currently possess

Post race
Warm down:

Ha - I'm the biggest dork in the world. I tried to leave quickly as the family had plans for the rest of the day. I go to open my card, WHICH I KNOW I HAD LEFT UNLOCKED, and the door won't open . . . I'm locked out . . . in soaked clothes, 40 degrees, and 30 mph winds.

However, I had an experience that makes me feel really good about the running community that comes to events like this:

I saw a pair of guys walking toward the parking lot and I asked the them if I could borrow a cell phone. Well, one of the guys said he NEVER carries his during a race, but for some reason did this time. After I couldn't get a hold of my wife, I explained that I was locked out. This gentlmen then said, "well, I think still have a break-out kit in the Jeep."

They got in after about 20 minutes of hard work. It turns out one of the guys was a former policeman turned attorney. I thanked them profusely at the time, but I think I'll look up their race numbers and send something to his practice.

Then called my wife, who was worried by that point, and explained that I was not stuck out on course with a broken ankle.

Event comments:

Todd and Cynthia at Headfirst Performance haven been the RD for this even and the sprint tri I did this summer. Both events were managed well. They're not "glitz and glamour" events, and I kind of like that.

Even with the lock-out incident, this was a wonderfully fun race. I only hope it will survive for another year.

Last updated: 2008-12-13 12:00 AM
Running
01:35:00 | 08 miles | 11m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/177
Performance: Average
Course: Just did the single 8 mile loop on the Otter Creek trail that circumnavigates the park. There were 16 mile and marathon options as well.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes