General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2009-11-23 3:50 PM
in reply to: #2527732

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Subject: RE: IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread
trishie - 2009-11-23 4:36 PM
daninjawg - 2009-11-23 2:23 PM
bojitri - 2009-11-23 1:43 PM Will there be live coverage/tracking for sure?  I haven't been able to find anything about it on the website.
-I have not seen anything about this yet either, it would be good to know for the people back home.

I emailed the guys at the contact emails listed. I've heard back from them in the past but it takes a couple days !

We have to get our own SN... do volunteers still get our bike and run gear bags?

No- we have to get our own gear bags- even if they are empty (which I don't know how they could be but whatever...) we have to grab them and then put them in the other bin outside the changing tent.  For accountability purposes they require this.  It sounds like they will be hung on racks- the athlete's guide keeps mentions "bag racks".  At IM FL they were in rows on the ground- I think the racks will make it easier to find them

I wasn't sure how special needs would work out.  At IM FL they had carboard bins that were labeled by BIB #.  Volunteers were waiting and if you shouted out your number far enough in advance they would get your bag for you.  Not sure for Couzmel if volunteers will do that or not.  You deifnitely have to slow down for bike SN because you could end up passing your bin and you kinda have to "look" to figure out where yours is.  At IM FL they had the bins pretty close together so you didn't really have time to process how they were sorted because they were close together.

I might rethink my plan and try to carry most of my nutrition and hydration with me- not sure how but it would sure would be nice not to stop if we have to get our own bags.  But hopefully my bright colored ribbon will help me locate my bag quicker

2009-11-23 9:32 PM
in reply to: #1855537

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Hello from Cozumel!!

Note: there ARE mozzies (mosquitoes) here. Be sure to bring your favorite bug spray. I´m staying in low-end establishment though, so I probably have them worse than you will.

Even at night, I could see the water under the pier was crystal clear.

Also note: don´t eat the flan!

Also: don´t forget to call your bank and notify them of your trip. My bank has already suspended my card due to suspicious activity (withdrawing money from atm in cancun?), and now i have call them international collect. (argh!)

Edited by robin314159 2009-11-23 9:36 PM
2009-11-24 6:40 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Thanks for the tips- I'll make sure to pack some bug spray. Do you think we'll need to wear bug spray during the run portion??

BTW- where are you staying?  Any chance you're at the Melia Cozumel?

That sucks about your ATM card.  I am in the process of reserving a shuttle from the Cancun Airport to the ferry and instead of paying online with a card I've decided just to pay cash when we get there- to be safe and all
2009-11-24 7:12 AM
in reply to: #2527309

User image

Champion
MA
bojitri - 2009-11-23 1:43 PM Will there be live coverage/tracking for sure?  I haven't been able to find anything about it on the website.

I too checked the website as we hope to follow and update you guys throughout the day but didn't find any information. Anyone check the athletes guide?

Once when I was tracking another IM when I put bib numbers in, racers doing another IM on same day in another part of world showed up. I missed the click which race I was searching for. So they have done tracking for other Int'l Ironman races so I'm optimistic. The link usually shows up in center of Ironman.com in the box marked Live Race Coverage a day or two before the race but often isn't active until race day.
2009-11-24 7:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Just checked in. Delta hit with an oversize fee for the bike. $125 less than the bike fee. Not ideal, but I did not argue. Now I am literally nauseaus worrying about her all alone in the dark being mishandled by strangers. I hope she will have forgiven me by Sunday morning.Safe travels for you and yours.
2009-11-24 7:30 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Good luck everyone and have safe travels.  I was really looking forward to doing this race, but life gets in the way sometimes.  Can't wait to hear all about it.  Have fun.

2009-11-24 7:35 AM
in reply to: #2528550

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
cwsiii - 2009-11-24 8:28 AM Just checked in. Delta hit with an oversize fee for the bike. $125 less than the bike fee. Not ideal, but I did not argue. Now I am literally nauseaus worrying about her all alone in the dark being mishandled by strangers. I hope she will have forgiven me by Sunday morning.Safe travels for you and yours.

Wow!  We booked our airfare with US Airways thorugh the IM website- they are a sponsor and give you a voucher to fly wiht your bike for free.  However, they don't do a good job about advertising this and it's very difficult ot book onlne- we had to make a million calls to get everything reserved. 

I am hoping there's no catch to it and I guess I'll find out when we get up to the counter with 2 bikes and 2 vouchers.  Fingers crossed it all works out- the airlines definitely don't make it easy to fly with bikes.  We deliberatly booked a direct flight from Charlotte to Cancun with zero layovers  becuase I was so nervous about our bikes getting lost.  We've packed all our bike stuff (with the exception of the bike itself and the tools) in our carry on.  That way if our bike cases don't make it we'll still have all our gear to rent a bike if we had to.  I am VERY nervous about flying with my bike as well- as if you can't tell

Edited by runnergirl 2009-11-24 7:49 AM
2009-11-24 8:15 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
runnergirl, what time do you leave from charlotte? we fly from baltimore to charlotte and will be arriving at 8:30 am tomorrow morning... then at 9:35 we depart for cancun. I hope we're on the same flight!

to those that are nervous about their bikes: I flew with my bike from baltimore to providence rhode island for RI70.3 earlier this year. my bike was the first item off the plane! I think because bikes are so big and have to be carried they are less likely to get lost... you can't just toss them in a pile! (that said, I will be praying to the tri gods tomorrow!)

a blogger friend of mine said that there's no online tracking she said it said that "on the website" but I looked and didn't see anything. I emailed a few people and made a call to WTC headquarters to inquire.

does anyone know about the plugs in mexico? will I need to buy a converter for my garmin charger, camera battery charger, etc.??
2009-11-24 8:22 AM
in reply to: #2528665

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
trishie - 2009-11-24 9:15 AM runnergirl, what time do you leave from charlotte? we fly from baltimore to charlotte and will be arriving at 8:30 am tomorrow morning... then at 9:35 we depart for cancun. I hope we're on the same flight!

to those that are nervous about their bikes: I flew with my bike from baltimore to providence rhode island for RI70.3 earlier this year. my bike was the first item off the plane! I think because bikes are so big and have to be carried they are less likely to get lost... you can't just toss them in a pile! (that said, I will be praying to the tri gods tomorrow!)

a blogger friend of mine said that there's no online tracking she said it said that "on the website" but I looked and didn't see anything. I emailed a few people and made a call to WTC headquarters to inquire.

does anyone know about the plugs in mexico? will I need to buy a converter for my garmin charger, camera battery charger, etc.??

Not sure about the plugs- maybe you can call your resort and ask them?

We actually aren't leaving until Friday   We were originally supposed to leave on Thanksgiving Day but somehow our departute flight got mesed up.  Back in Sept. I got an email from US Airways saying that our flight time had changed- and noticed our departure date was Oct. 26, not Nov. 26th. I frantically called the airlines and to fly out on T-Giving Day we would have had to pay $800 more because the price had gone up- and we were not going to pay an additional $800.  So Friday was cheaper and she waived the cancellation fee so we only had to pay a difference of $40.  I still don't know how that happened- I think the airlines screwed it up because we booked on that special IM website and had issues with it.  Nit thnakfuly the US Airways rep we talked to was REALLY nice and helpful.  Long story short- we are super bummed we're not leaving until Friday.  It's going to make things hectic because now we have to make sure to get to Couzmel and check into our resort to drop off all our stuff and make it to registration by 6pm.  Yeah- I'm just a bit stressed....You will probably see us ath the athlete's meeting- look for the 2 frazzled triathletes who look like they've just stepped off a plane

Edited by runnergirl 2009-11-24 8:23 AM
2009-11-24 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2528483

User image

Veteran
runnergirl - 2009-11-24 6:40 AM Thanks for the tips- I'll make sure to pack some bug spray. Do you think we'll need to wear bug spray during the run portion??

That sucks about your ATM card.  I am in the process of reserving a shuttle from the Cancun Airport to the ferry and instead of paying online with a card I've decided just to pay cash when we get there- to be safe and all

Hey runnergirl- I am flying into Cancun tomorrow and need to take the shuttle/ferry as well.  It sounds like it may just be easier to arrange once you get there? 
2009-11-24 8:56 AM

User image

Santa Maria
We arrived last night. Bike traveled great no damage. The clerk ended up giving me a deal on the cost of transport, only overweight vs over sized. Woke up this morning to a beautiful sunrise. It is absolutely aw inspiring here. Did an early morning swim, nothing big just 20-30 minutes. Water is super clear, couldn't really tell which way the current was going, pretty calm. The only notable thing was there were tiny jellyfish, clear and purple ones. I tried to stay away from them but got stung a few times, doesn't really hurt. I also did a 20 min bike ride. From my hotel in the north to the ferry dock. Roads were good even though this wasn't the bike course. On the way back there was a noticable head wind. I was still doing 20mph with little effort. Getting out here and doing some training is building the confidence. the race should be beautiful. Watching the sea life as we swim and checking out the ocean while we ride, it doesn't get any better. I could tell you about the wind, but I think it changes day by day, but it doesnt seem to bad.

See you all down here soon

2009-11-24 9:00 AM
in reply to: #2528746

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
98hogbay - 2009-11-24 9:41 AM
runnergirl - 2009-11-24 6:40 AM Thanks for the tips- I'll make sure to pack some bug spray. Do you think we'll need to wear bug spray during the run portion??

Hey runnergirl- I am flying into Cancun tomorrow and need to take the shuttle/ferry as well.  It sounds like it may just be easier to arrange once you get there? 

Yeah- we were just going to wing it when we got there.  But our challenge is time- we are going to be pressed for time and if we have to wait for the shuttle to fill up with others we may not make it to registration in time.  So we figured a private shuttle would be better- that way it will be waiting for us when we exit the airport and we can leave asap   We HAVE TO make the 2pm ferry or else we'll have to haul all our stuff to registration and the athlete's meeting- which would just be awful to have to do.
2009-11-24 9:29 AM

On Twitter, I typed in Ironman Cozumel (lack of concentration at work), and one of the searches came up stating the individual was packing and doing the IronmanLive coverage for Ironman.com.  I'd imagine (hope) that if they're doing that, they'd have tracking as well.

2009-11-24 9:36 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
The IM Couzmel FB group has a few posts regarding live tracking.  A lot of people are saying that it's not going to be available for the race.  I don't know if that's an assumption or a fact. 

BTW- I found this link if anyone is intersted in sampling some Mexican drinks who is not staying at all inclusive 

http://www.cozumelbarhop.com/bus_tour.php#contenedor

Edited by runnergirl 2009-11-24 9:41 AM
2009-11-24 9:46 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Word on the street is that there will be no live athlete tracking BOOO !!

I'm still waiting to see something official from ironman.com or ironmanlive ....
2009-11-24 9:49 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
I guess we'll find out either at the expo or most likely the athlete's meeting.  That sthinks if there is no live tracking

BTW- I need to stop reading stuff that people post. I was reading some posts on FB and somebody on there said if you are flying with your bike on Delta you have to call ahead of time and "reserve" a spot for your bike so it will make it on the plane.  Not sure how true that is- when I called US Airways and asked about flying with a bike they never mentioned that I had to make a "reservation" for my bike.  But now I guess I'm going to call them to double check?  I'm all paranoid now.  This taper and waiting thing sucks- I'm going CRAZY

2009-11-24 12:24 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
I've emailed every email addy I could find to ask about athlete tracking.

I'll let you guys know if I hear anything !
2009-11-24 12:29 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
I found this but it doesn't seem like it's comphrensive because it says that there might be more events and to check back closer to race date.  But..Cozumel isn't listed.

http://ironman.com/ironmanlive/racedaycoverage/livetrackinginfo 
2009-11-24 12:57 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

I JUST GOT THIS EMAIL:

Hi Tricia,We're working with the timers on the athlete tracking for Cozumel - we just had a successful test, so hopefully we'll be all set for the race this weekend. Kevin
2009-11-24 1:38 PM
in reply to: #2529463

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
trishie - 2009-11-24 1:57 PM  
I JUST GOT THIS EMAIL:

Hi Tricia,We're working with the timers on the athlete tracking for Cozumel - we just had a successful test, so hopefully we'll be all set for the race this weekend. Kevin

YAY, YAY, YAY!  Glad they are working on it- and it's awesome that they emailed you back!
2009-11-24 1:55 PM

User image

Boston, MA
YAY almost time to go! 3am cab pick-up for a 5:30am flight tomorrow!

Just called my credit cards to let them know I am traveling to Mexico..
I believe this is the breakdown of fees...
Discover Card has a 2% fee
Bank of America (I think) has a 3% fee (now I can't remember) - if you use the San Tander Serin(?) ATMs, the $5 ATM fee will be waived
Capital One has a 0% fee

Is it time to drink yet?

2009-11-24 5:02 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Hi, it´ll be available trough ironmanlive.com

--- lastest email --- we're good to go !!
2009-11-24 5:07 PM
in reply to: #2529363

Hi Trish

Shawn here from Ironman.com. I will be doing the race coverage for Ironman Cozumel on Ironman.com. We will be posting my race preview article on Wednesday or Thursday. Our IronmanLive coverage will commence with some initial stories posted mid/late Friday afternoon and I will build on that coverage up until race morning with number of pro and age - group athlete profiles and course preview. As well, I will also report about the events leading up to the race, i.e. Welcome Dinner, Pro Media Conference, Expo etc.

We will get the race day coverage going at 6:30 local time and go until midnight. Yes, we will have the live athlete tracker going on Sunday in addition to photos, leader board, and our text coverage. 

Good luck to everyone competing in the Ford Ironman Cozumel this Sunday. Will be a pleasure to watch you achieve your dreams!

If you have any further coverage questions you can contact me at: [email protected]

Shawn
2009-11-24 5:08 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
thanks Shawn ! .... a few of us were freaking out over here
2009-11-24 11:23 PM
in reply to: #2530080

User image

Expert
Made it to Cozumel today, no drama and the bike via Alaska Air was $50 total ($25 extra bag and $25 cause it's a bike). My box weighed in under 50lbs.

The ferry guys wanted 20 pesos for bikes, lots of bike boxes/bags on the ferry over.

Looking forward to getting out and about tomorrow to check things out!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 13