General Discussion Race Reports! » Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
Total Time = 4h 45m 13s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 5:30. ate oatmeal with honey, drank a bottle of propel, then craig and i headed over to the hogan household to follow them downtown.
Event warmup:

ha. i was about to run 26.2 miles...really, there was going to be NO warmup whatsoever.
Run
  • 4h 45m 13s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

craig, the best boyfriend ever, put together a pacing chart for us where we would start off in the mid 10's and every two miles increase in speed a little so we were finishing in the mid 9's for an overall pace of 10:00/mile. through mile 15 we were spot on. in fact, even with a bio break each, we were still about a minute ahead of schedule. i was fired up. and i was feeling great. i smiled and enjoyed the atmosphere every step of the way through 15. was loving it and even thinking, if i don't meet my time goal, i'll be ok with it because this experience is awesome. it even went through my head that i would consider doing another marathon, even though during training, i swore them off. :) then 15 happened and it was all a battle from then on. everything below my waste hurt and i was having a hard time fighting through it. then my mind started to go. i never doubted that i wouldn't finish, i doubted my ability in reaching my goals. then, that jovial "it's ok if i don't finish in the time i want to" attitude turned into, "i can't believe you can't finish in the time you wanted to" attitude. so then i put a smile on my face thinking i could fake myself out. it worked some, but i still had 8 miles to go and trickery could only last so long. so i walked some. i ran some. i realized that walking hurt worse than running, so i'd run some more. but mostly, i just wanted to be done. even when i reached mile 23 and knew it was just a little more than a 5k left, i still couldn't give anymore. i was exceptionally frustrated and hurting, bad. again, i just wanted it to be over. i think the most frustrating thing is even though i finished, i didn't have that elation of "holy cow, i just ran a marathon" like i thought i should. i haven't really figured out why, either. it's somewhat frustrating because i do know what an accomplishment it is, but for some reason, i don't have that over joyed feeling that i think i should have. hmph.

HIGHLIGHTS:
-craig ran with me stride for stride. loved it. loved having him with me every step of the way. was a huge help for me. THANK YOU!
-saw jenny at mile 4. this was a bad thing for her because it meant her knees weren't cooperating and after that sank in with me, it made me very sad for her, but it was a good thing for me because she's my training buddy and biggest cheerleader and i loved seeing her.
-the volunteers were exceptional. they were so encouraging and would call me by name and tell me i looked great for my first marathon...it was really cool.
-jcagg was all over the course from mile 8ish through 20ish. very cool to see a friendly face and hear a big ole cheer from a great friend often.
-having people all over the course was very encouraging.
-plenty of aid stations and fluids.
-had my brother and sister in law and fitzger cheering me in at the finishers chute. was cool to see them.
-finished my very first marathon with my boyfriend by my side, step for step. what is better than that?!?!?!
What would you do differently?:

i am not a long distance runner...not sure if i'll ever be. i have trained my body to go in quick bursts on a soccer field and a basketball court for years and was very successful at that. this year i really tried to dedicate myself to becoming a runner. i made some really good strides and i really am proud of myself for that. i think my biggest limiter is time. the only thing i can do is continue to run. last year at this time i was training for a 10k at the end of december. this year i did a marathon in december. obviously, progress is being made and i don't take any of that away from myself.
Post race
Warm down:

did the marathon shuffle because i could not walk at all. tried to find todd, jenny and fitz, but we missed each other until we got to the car about 45 min later. got a finisher photo with craig and our shirts and medals.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

ha. my own self. it's just a process. keep running, keep getting better and faster.

Event comments:

awesome first marathon. seriously, they put on one heck of an event. was very happy that i chose this as my first (and maybe last...hahaha)

Last updated: 2008-07-27 12:00 AM
Running
04:45:13 | 26.2 miles | 10m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-12-16 9:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
Subject: Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon

2008-12-16 9:48 AM
in reply to: #1856276

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: RE: Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon
Great job out there.  I am proud of you!
2008-12-16 9:54 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Way to go Jen!!  You ARE a runner! 

Reading your report reminded me so much my first marathon...also at White Rock, back in 2000.  The previous year we had done a relay at the course and I remember watching how overcome all of the finishers were.  I felt like a loser since I only ran 5 miles.  So, I decided to do the full in 2000.  My time was not as good as yours, 4:55 and that was reaching my goal of sub 5 hours, ha!  Anyway, long story short, but I came across the line and nothing, felt nothing.  Of course, part of that could have been because I did it all alone, no one to cheer me on, and I had to immediately get back in the car to drive back to Lubbock for finals the next day.  But still, I was shocked like you because I expected more emotion.

I got my emotion at Ironman    Gah, talk about a blubbering idiot!  So, enjoy Ironman training, I know you are goin to do great at IMCDA!

2008-12-16 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX

Great job BAAABY!

Now you know you can go the distance. Just be thankful we were not following the Kenyans that took a wrong turn.

2008-12-16 12:06 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Awesome job Jen!! You put a lot of hard training and time into tackling this event, and you did great!  Even though the last 11.2 were really tough, think how incredible it is that the first 15 felt as good as they did and how awesome it is that you've trained your body to do 15 feeling good, and to finish 26.2 even if you had to battle some!! GREAT first marathon! You should be proud!
2008-12-16 9:44 PM
in reply to: #1856713

User image

Champion
the colony texas

Holy Cow you just ran a marathon.. !!!!   Hey there fellow sprinter... you finished.  That's huge, it was warm, windy and none of that matter since you kept moving and crossed the finish line..

Seriously ... Great Job!!

2008-12-17 12:24 AM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Great Job! This was my First two, I can relate to the pain.
2008-12-17 11:42 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Great job and congratulations on finishing your first marathon.  4:45 is not a bad time for your first mary.  You alluded to this already...but it really is a process.  You build on your fitness and performance day after day, week after week, month after month, and year after year.  I bet in the future you'll look back on this first mary and think "Wow.  Look how far I've come".  Think how far you've already come from running a 10k last year!  Great job!
2008-12-17 4:10 PM

User image

Veteran

I forgot that last year, you trained to do the Hogan family10K.  Oh my, if I remember correctly the last miles of the 10k was very hard, probably as hard as the last miles of the marathon. YOU HAVE COME SOOOOO FAR in just a year!  Imagine how far you will come between now and Ironman. 

You did great and I am so proud of you for sticking with the training and getting it done!  Way to go JJ!  BTW- imagine how easy an 1/2 mary will be next year!

2008-12-18 9:48 PM

User image

Veteran

You just said it's easy to run 15 miles - crazy!  Everyone above ^^ has said it already.  Be proud!  You've come a long way and you really should get back together with running (after a few receovery weeks anyway)

Love you JJ!  Great job out there!!

2008-12-18 9:50 PM

User image

, Texas
Congrats on the mary. You've worked hard and gutted it out.

2008-12-21 8:13 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
You ran a marathon lady! You rock! Great job!

As for it being hard... well it has prepared you for the last few miles on that IM marathon. When times get tough, you gotta remind yourself that you only get one FIRST and that your attitude will create your memory.

Now, you know you can do 26.2 miles... feeling not so hot after mile 15... which is great!

Congratulations on your first marathon!!!!

2008-12-29 11:30 AM

User image

Plano, Tx

Congrats on the first mary!!

Sounds a lot like my first experience w/ the marathon. 

Good luck in CDA!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon Rss Feed