Subject: RE: swbkrun's group- CLOSED
Way to go Tracy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2009-04-10 12:31 PM
in reply to: #1856701

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congrats Tracy!

I just got back from my first lesson with my new swim coach..  He's seems to be pretty good.  he's getting his masters in teaching so he does a great job explaining things.  Rt now he's all about form not like my last coach.  My last coach just had me swim my race distance and do speed drills.  This week my new coach is just having me do different forms of a catch-up drill.  When he first saw my stroke he said I have a good stroke but he wants me to work on my timing of my stroke.  He said he wants me to tweak my stroke so that it is similar to the catch-up drill but not as exaggerated as the drill.  He said it's the most efficient stroke for long distance because it helps you keep your body extended for a longer period of time (and more balanced) so you glide longer and hopefully less tired for the bike and run..   Also he wants to modify my kick slightly so that it's more relaxed and less motion.  He told me that initially it may seem that I'm slower but that's not important now because I'll naturally get faster as I get more comfortable with the stroke.  So far I like him not only because he's soooo much cheaper but he seems more knowledgeable and he's competed in OWS..
2009-04-10 1:27 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Tracy - congrats on the PB!  Sounds like you'll be more than ready for your HIM.

trying1 - glad to hear your swim lesson went well.  I hope this coach works out for you.

I dragged myself out of bed again this morning for a swim.  I gotta tell you, I'm not a morning person, but I'm really liking swimming in the morningsSmile.  I've been thinking about taking a few lessons at the pool.  I can get a 3-pack of 30 min lessons for $44.  It's individual so it would be just me and the instructor.  If I just want someone to watch me and maybe give me some pointers as to what I could be doing better (drills I should do, tell me if my form is good or horrible), do you think this would be a good idea?  If I liked the instructor I could always sign up for additional lessons.  He/She probably wouldn't be much of a "coach", but at least I would know if I'm on the right track.  I know they sometimes have a class on swim form analysis, but it's limited to 16yrs old and under (what's up with that?).  I guess it's more geared toward kids on swim teams.  Maybe I'll give them a call and see if maybe they have someone in particular there who could do that for me. 
2009-04-10 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2076484

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
trying1 - 2009-04-10 1:31 PM Congrats Tracy!

I just got back from my first lesson with my new swim coach..  He's seems to be pretty good.  he's getting his masters in teaching so he does a great job explaining things.  Rt now he's all about form not like my last coach.  My last coach just had me swim my race distance and do speed drills.  This week my new coach is just having me do different forms of a catch-up drill.  When he first saw my stroke he said I have a good stroke but he wants me to work on my timing of my stroke.  He said he wants me to tweak my stroke so that it is similar to the catch-up drill but not as exaggerated as the drill.  He said it's the most efficient stroke for long distance because it helps you keep your body extended for a longer period of time (and more balanced) so you glide longer and hopefully less tired for the bike and run..   Also he wants to modify my kick slightly so that it's more relaxed and less motion.  He told me that initially it may seem that I'm slower but that's not important now because I'll naturally get faster as I get more comfortable with the stroke.  So far I like him not only because he's soooo much cheaper but he seems more knowledgeable and he's competed in OWS..

That sounds very similar to what i was just told, lol good to hear that someone else is hearing the same thing from their coach.
2009-04-10 3:15 PM
in reply to: #2076607

User image

Champion
soccermom15 - 2009-04-10 2:27 PM Tracy - congrats on the PB!  Sounds like you'll be more than ready for your HIM.

trying1 - glad to hear your swim lesson went well.  I hope this coach works out for you.

I dragged myself out of bed again this morning for a swim.  I gotta tell you, I'm not a morning person, but I'm really liking swimming in the morningsSmile.  I've been thinking about taking a few lessons at the pool.  I can get a 3-pack of 30 min lessons for $44.  It's individual so it would be just me and the instructor.  If I just want someone to watch me and maybe give me some pointers as to what I could be doing better (drills I should do, tell me if my form is good or horrible), do you think this would be a good idea?  If I liked the instructor I could always sign up for additional lessons.  He/She probably wouldn't be much of a "coach", but at least I would know if I'm on the right track.  I know they sometimes have a class on swim form analysis, but it's limited to 16yrs old and under (what's up with that?).  I guess it's more geared toward kids on swim teams.  Maybe I'll give them a call and see if maybe they have someone in particular there who could do that for me. 

Sounds like a great idea.  Always good to have someone look at your stroke.
2009-04-10 4:36 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Janet,
I think at that price you can't be beat!  It is worth it to at least get an idea of what you need to work on!?  Then you can go from there.  I am afraid to get a lesson from someone and have them change everything I do.  Kind of like my golf game.  It's all about form, and little things will make you better, but I am happy where I am at !!!!

2009-04-10 4:51 PM

User image

Pro

Holy Crap it's Friday!!! HAPPY FRIDAY!!! I hope everyone has a great weekend!  I am bouncing out of town tonight in the hopes of finding some good RIDING WEATHER!  Good luck to everyone this weekend.

TOMORROW BE SURE TO GO FURTHER AND FASTER THAN YOU DID TODAY!

2009-04-11 7:27 AM
in reply to: #2077094

User image

Champion
What a great day yesterday.  I took the day off from work and we had great weather. Played with the kids all day + got to the bike shop to pick up parts (My son knows the bike shop is daddy's favorite store).

Never did get around to training and now it is pouring down rain and I have a 2 hr bike ride with a brick run after, woo hoo!  Also need to get around to coloring some eggs with the kids.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend, and have a happy easter.
2009-04-11 11:19 AM
in reply to: #2077756

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
dalessit - 2009-04-11 7:27 AM What a great day yesterday.  I took the day off from work and we had great weather. Played with the kids all day + got to the bike shop to pick up parts (My son knows the bike shop is daddy's favorite store).

Never did get around to training and now it is pouring down rain and I have a 2 hr bike ride with a brick run after, woo hoo!  Also need to get around to coloring some eggs with the kids.

Tony--you are the first person I have heard from that actually still dyes Easter eggs.  Everyone else I talked to this week looked at me like they had never heard of doing that with their kids!  I hope you hide them around the house too.  That was my favorite part! and the yellow peeps of course.  Very high quality carbs!

Janet--I think finding someone you can work with to help you with swimming is a great idea.  If you don't click with this person, I bet you will still pick up a few pointers.   And I hope you will share them too!

Had a pretty good last sub MP long run today.  If there is wind for the marathon I am ready.  If it is 30F the whole way I am ready!  If it is HOT, I'm screwed!  We haven't seen hot warm in WI since last August.  Seriously, feeling pretty good about things.

Happy Easter to all that celebrate it!

Suzy
2009-04-11 2:53 PM
in reply to: #2078004

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2009-04-11 12:19 PM
dalessit - 2009-04-11 7:27 AM What a great day yesterday.  I took the day off from work and we had great weather. Played with the kids all day + got to the bike shop to pick up parts (My son knows the bike shop is daddy's favorite store).

Tony--you are the first person I have heard from that actually still dyes Easter eggs.  Everyone else I talked to this week looked at me like they had never heard of doing that with their kids!  I hope you hide them around the house too.  That was my favorite part! and the yellow peeps of course.  Very high quality carbs!

Janet--I think finding someone you can work with to help you with swimming is a great idea.  If you don't click with this person, I bet you will still pick up a few pointers.   And I hope you will share them too!

Had a pretty good last sub MP long run today.  If there is wind for the marathon I am ready.  If it is 30F the whole way I am ready!  If it is HOT, I'm screwed!  We haven't seen hot warm in WI since last August.  Seriously, feeling pretty good about things.

Happy Easter to all that celebrate it!

Suzy

We hide them outside in the front yard (unless it's cold then we do it inside.), along with some plastic eggs with candy and stuff.

You're going to kick a$$ in Boston!

Edited by dalessit 2009-04-11 2:53 PM
2009-04-11 3:37 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
First off I'll state we are okay, but Doug and I had a pretty nasty bike crash this morning. We were 5 miles into a 65 mile ride when a large pelaton passed us going up a hill. Doug stayed behind me in a protective mode as the group passed. We were going up a hill with a stop sign at the top. Half of the group ran the stop sign while the other half slowed to stop.  Doug didn't see me slowing down and his tire road up my left calf. Then somehow his handlebars get hooked in my back wheel.  He wiped out pretty hard.  I think I dragged his bike and he dived/fell off to the side of the road.  Ripped out of his cleat, road rash up his right leg, his hip, and accross his chest.  His bike needs new bar tape, some cables, and a shifter.  I was luckier that I was preparing to stop so I somehow managed to keep from crashing hard, but my rear wheel is out of true and might need replacing. I have a sexy 3 inch tire burn mark on my left calf.  We were very fortunate considering. Here is a photo of Doug's leg after his shower - so the blood is just starting to seep back.

Edited by tahrens 2009-04-11 3:50 PM

(Road Rash resized.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Road Rash resized.jpg (93KB - 51 downloads)

2009-04-11 4:21 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Tracy...OUCH!  Glad you guys are ok though.  Fortunately (knocking on some wood here) I haven't laid mine down yet.
2009-04-11 4:43 PM

User image

Champion
Tracy--OMG!  I am so glad you two are ok, but Doug's leg looks awful.  Are you taking him in to urgent care to get scrubbed out? or doing it yourself?  really good way to get an infection if you don't clean it really well.  You might consider an epsom salts bath for both of you to help with any soreness or bruising.  Rest up!
2009-04-11 5:26 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Tracy, I hope Doug is okay!

At first, I saw Suzy's post then scrolled up and saw a bloody (hairy) leg and I thought to myself "that is so NOT Tracy's leg" but then read your post.  I hope your calf is okay, girl!

Just crazy what can happen out there.  Everyone be careful this weekend! Maybe I will stick to a trainer ride after work today

2009-04-11 5:59 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

oooooooooowwwwwch!!!!!!  That looks very masty and painful. Hope you and your hubby are OK Tracy.

Steve here is your next adventure undertaking

http://playak.tv/view_video.php?viewkey=ff2ba1980e001b0bd984

I haven't had to worry about falling off any bikes (stationary or otherwise) over the past few days as I have had the worst cold I have had in years. I wouldn't be surprised if some of you caught it just reading this. I think the injury during hockey this week  may have upset my health balance and this came on in addition to not being able to train. I still have a little difficulty going up stairs. Hopefully will be in good shape for next week again.

Have a Happy Easter everyone. I know I will eat too much.

Edited by Redknight 2009-04-11 6:02 PM
2009-04-11 6:22 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Ahouwch Tracy!  Hope all turns out ok for you and Doug (and the bikes).  That looks painfully cool though, cleaning won't be fun, thus the shave!

You two take care!

2009-04-11 7:01 PM

User image

Champion
So, I took the advice and replaced the batterty on my Edge 305.  Now the speed works, but the cadence is still DEAD!  I did the reset under accessories,  moved the sensor, moved the magnet and nothing.  Any ideas?
2009-04-11 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2078498

User image

Champion
Tracy, tell him to make sure he takes good care of it.  I thought I was taking good care of mine (see my album)  But it did end up getting infected, not bad but it actually hurt to walk on for a bit.  Epsom salt baths are what I took after the Dr. prescribed them. 

Tell him one consolation is chick's dig scars and when riding with a group it always gives me something to talk about, I still have a decent scar.  Also tell him to shave those hairy legs....

Also, did my first brick of the year 2hr bike ride and a 20 min run, felt good.

Not sure Suzy, I don't have the cadence with my watch, I use my PT for cadence.

Edited by dalessit 2009-04-11 7:28 PM
2009-04-11 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2078514

User image

Champion
LOL, and why is it that the first thing we do when we have an accident like that is take pictures?  The first thing I did when I got home was look for the camera.  The pic I took was after I cleaned it up a bit because I couldn't find the camera right away.
2009-04-11 8:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tracy I have chills just thinking about the crash.  My leg and arm hairs are literally standing up..  I hope you guys are ok..  I bet the shower hurt a bit too..

just got back from an egg painting party..  it turned out to be more of a wine drinking party for the adults..  Just put the kid asleep and I'm ready to pass out..  btw 2001 cabs are great no matter from California or South Africa.
2009-04-11 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2078627

User image

Champion
BTW we have been moved to the main mentor page now so make sure we start posting there, allready have some new folks.

Plus I just posted a pic of my bike almost done, let me know what you think.

2009-04-13 11:12 AM

User image

Pro
Here is the link to the new group....

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=153634&start=1

Tracy please have your hubby shave those legs....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 73