Kiwanis Club of the Delta-Antioch
46F / 8C
Overcast
Total Time = 51m 49s
Overall Rank = 31/81
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 8/13
Pre-race routine:

Got up @ 6, went to feed the cat, and discovered we were out of cat food. Now how many race reports start like THAT? Went to the store to get cat food. Pulled up the website to get directions, and discovered that the race didn't start until 9:30. Since I found this out AFTER my family was awake, there were LOTS of angry looks at me about waking them up early. Waited for Evelyn's BF and took off around 7:30 to get there.

Registered and then jumped back in the car to get out of the cold wind.
Event warmup:

Staying warm seemed more important than warming up.
Run
  • 51m 49s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Well... this race went better than the 5k 2 weeks ago. I am recovering. I spent the first mile and a half just pacing Evelyn and Chris, trying to see how my legs were going to feel. After a mile and a half, I decided that they were going to survive and started to pull ahead. Basically, if Evelyn is within sprinting distance of me at the end, she's going to beat me, so I needed to put some distance between her and me.

The course felt really good. Going out was with the wind, coming back had a pretty good headwind. Did a little walking into the headwind, maybe 30-40 seconds of walking total. Walked up that STUPID hill. I really need to get better on hills this year.

I know that last year, I was pacing to beat the silly guy with the santa hat. This year, I was the silly guy with the santa hat. I wonder how many people were trying to beat me?
Post race
Warm down:

Put the sweats on and waited for awards. Only Evelyn got an award, but she did really well, coming in 4th over all. Sweet.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to start practing on more speed. The last year, I was concentrating on endurance and saw my speed go down. This year, I WANT SPEED!!!!

Event comments:

It's a fun little local race, well organized on a pretty nice course through one of the regional parks.

Last updated: 2008-12-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:51:49 | 06.21 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/13
Overall: 31/81
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]