General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 59m 2s
Overall Rank = 1292/5786
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 165/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6am and already had all my stuff ready to roll. Ate my usual Toasted PB sandwhich, a tiger gatorade, water, and energy bar. Checked my GU stash, and headed outside to catch my ride. Since Murphy is too fast and no one else from our crew ran the Half...i rode with some fellas that I coach little people football with(and also got me in the race after the sell out). Those guys ran the half here last year and had a goal of 2 hrs or better. They all ran 2:10 or higher last year. In my mind all I wanted to do was beat my time from the Austin Half back in february. We drove, we parked, we shed the longsleeve Tshirts as it was much more warmer than expected.
Event warmup:

Not much of any, had to goto the restroom and the lines were long as hell. Stood in line for at least 20 minutes and as soon as we got out of the crappers the gun went off! So we started well back in the back part of the "C" corral of runners.
Run
  • 1h 59m 2s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

The plan for me was to run the first mile as a WU at a 10 min pace and then bring it down from there. Looking back at my last HM in Austin with all the friggin hills we started at a 10:30 pace and went down from there. So, in my mind if I started faster then I would finish faster. First mile was on target of 10 min pace and then i started moving faster and faster till mile 5-6. Was running the first mile with the guys I rode with to the race, but let them know that I would be pushing forward after mile 1...didnt see them till the end of the race. Felt really strong all the way to mile 10, no pain, no breathing issues, nada. My goal was to get to the trail and then sprint downhill all the way in. Well, i got to the trail and just didnt have as much gas as i thought i would have. Started pushing and thought that based on what the garmin said i needed to go real hard in order to beat my previous time. Couldnt do it after mile 11 so i figured i would just get to mile 12.5 and just sprint the last part and hope for the best. Didnt look at my garmin for the last .5 miles and just went fast as possible, which really wasnt that fast after looking at the data. Overall, disappointed with my time but very happy with how i felt at that pace and how my legs felt after the race. I could barely walk after my first HM, and this time I didnt feel bad at all.
What would you do differently?:

Train better, more trackwork, get faster. Start the race faster and just trust i can hold a faster pace for longer time. I think that not knowing my breaking point holds me back from running faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Looked around for Fitz and anyone else I knew at the finish line. Couldnt find anyone there so I high fived myself and waited for the fellas I came there with. Took a photo, got my shirt and medal and headed in the AAC for 3 beers and some bananas.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Speedwork, not enough of it. Weather was a bit surprising, I think 10 degress cooler and no wind and I beat my time from last HM.

Event comments:

Amazing race as far as goodies you get and the course was very fair. Great organization as well. Will definitely do it again.

Last updated: 2008-05-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:59:02 | 13.1 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 165/
Overall: 1292/5786
Performance: Average
HR was surprisingly lower than expected until about mile 10, then the spiking happened right about the time i wanted to start the slow sprint down the trail. Ran negative splits after running the first mile at a 10 min pace. After further review between mile 5-6 i went backwards on pace by about 15 sec per mile. But neg split all the way from there to the finish.
Course: Downtown dallas, HP, across 75, and back thru to the Katy trail.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-12-16 3:28 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon

2008-12-17 2:36 PM
in reply to: #1857186

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon
great job omar!!
2008-12-20 8:43 PM
in reply to: #1857186

User image

Subject: RE: Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon
Nice work there O.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon Rss Feed