BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tee Cris' Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2009-03-02 8:35 PM
in reply to: #1862005

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tee Cris' Group - CLOSED

Hey guys, I've been missing in action but am slowly making my way back.  Somehow I got pneumonia 2 weekends ago and I've been down for the count ever since.  I'm starting to feel better but no training for the rest of this week.  This is bad stuff and I want to make sure it is gone!!

My piece of advice for today:  Stay away from pneumonia at all costs!!

2009-03-02 8:50 PM
in reply to: #1985161

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Good Sources for Used Road Bikes
artford333 - 2009-02-27 6:56 AM

All-

I'm on the market for a used road bike in the $400 - $600 range.

I have a friend of a friend who owns a bike shop and he said that my ideal frame size is 57.2cm.

I'm checking the following places for listings:

I also will be calling around to local bike shops to see what they might have available.

Any other suggestions on where to look for used bikes?

Thanks for your help.

AJ

AJ

Those all look like good options.  You may want to give the BT Classifieds a shot too.  I've seen people post that they Want to Buy a Tri Bike etc.  You never know what you might get in response

2009-03-03 8:22 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Hi everyone!! I'm still alive over here....just slammed 10 ways to Sunday in about 20 different directions.

I cannot believe how overwhelming work has been the past month. My core team (of 3 people) has been missing our supervisor due to a family emergency...and we're trying to launch several programs for the spring in addition to a TV/Print campaign. That's challenging enough to do with 3 people...but 2...oof. Fuggeddaboudit!

I'm over it!!

BUT...I got in the pool last night and miraculously peeled off a 1:42 in the mix of my 10x100's. I NEVER swim that fast. I'm usually in the mid-1:50's for my 100 sets. I'll take it though!

Other than that...I was accepted into the Brooks Inspire Daily program, which is pretty cool. Oh, and my mom bought me the book "Fit Body, Fit Mind" after my stress-related melt down a week and a half ago (long story). It seems like it'll be a great read to help me get over my race-day anxiety and settle into a routine despite loads of stress. Has anyone read it?

So what'd I miss in my absence?
2009-03-06 9:35 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
*cough* uhmm...hello? ...tap tap tap... is this thing on??

So I've got a meeting with my coach on Sunday to start laying out my plan. I'm pretty amped about it...

Anything new and exciting going on with you fine folks?
2009-03-08 1:53 PM

User image

Ann Arbor,MI

Hey all!

I went swimming on Friday. It was warm enough that I could wear shorts to the pool. But that warmth is over for now. Stayed consistent with another 1000 yds in 22:34. 

When you guys do swim workouts, say 10x100, do you rest between each 100? I know I need  to start adding some variety to my swim workouts, but I'm not totally sure how to. Just laps isn't going to cut it, and it gets really boring. 

I'm going to hit the treadmill today, then back in the water tomorrow. If it gets warm enough this week, I hope to get on the bike, with the time change keeping it lighter later.

That's it for now.

Hey Barb - I hope your work has eased up on you.

Tom

Edited by tommyp2602 2009-03-08 7:41 PM
2009-03-08 9:35 PM

User image

Ann Arbor,MI

Just got off the treadmill - 3.5 in 35min. Not fast, but not crawling either. I'm building slow this year.

T

2009-03-08 10:07 PM
in reply to: #2004862

User image

Veteran
tommyp2602 - 2009-03-08 1:53 PM

Hey all!

I went swimming on Friday. It was warm enough that I could wear shorts to the pool. But that warmth is over for now. Stayed consistent with another 1000 yds in 22:34. 

When you guys do swim workouts, say 10x100, do you rest between each 100? I know I need  to start adding some variety to my swim workouts, but I'm not totally sure how to. Just laps isn't going to cut it, and it gets really boring. 

I'm going to hit the treadmill today, then back in the water tomorrow. If it gets warm enough this week, I hope to get on the bike, with the time change keeping it lighter later.

That's it for now.

Hey Barb - I hope your work has eased up on you.

Tom

Tom,

I agree...swimming without a plan is a mess for me.  I usually follow the specific swim workout on whatever plan I am following.  You may want to pick up a BT plan just for the swim workouts.  As an alternative, I think I have a couple websites with swim workouts on another computer.   I'll post when I'm there.

Also, on the 10x100 I will rest between sets.  The rest interval varies.  Ususally 15-25 secs depending on what the rest of the workout consists of.

2009-03-09 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran

Here's a swim workout link I just saw on the banner of my log.  Long sets but I'm sure they could be modified.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1701

2009-03-09 1:25 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Tom,

I typically rest for 20-30 seconds (depending on how good of shape I'm in) in between 100 sets and anywhere from 45-60 in between sets of 250 and higher.

Work is slowly starting to get a bit more manageable for me. We're still down 1 teammate and the other gal is on a shoot in LA right now...so it's pretty much me holding down the fort.

I met with my coach yesterday discuss my iron plan!! I'm really excited and will officially start on April 1st. We agreed that we need to focus my efforts on the bike, so he's planning on dishing me a century ride a month starting in July (insert panic here). I'm terrible on the bike, but whatever it takes to get me to the bike cutoff is what I want to do. I know I ride like a girl and not in a good way, so anyone with advice for helping me get more aggressive on this leg would be appreciative! I think it may be a psychological thing with me, really. When I was 11 I was hit by a car while riding my bike...ended up breaking my arm and I've got a mangled knee to show for it. I was always reluctant to ride my bike after that and it's probably the reason why I'm overly-cautious these days.

2009-03-09 9:25 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Cranked out a really sluggish 2000 yards tonight. I've pretty much been trying to focus on building my endurance in the water these days...

Last week it was all about the 10x100 and 2x200...

Tonight it was 4x100 4x200 4x100

And I'm thinking my next swim will be along the lines of 2x[1x100, 1x200, 1x300, 1x200, 1x100]

I'm determined to be comfortable cranking out 500's before I throw myself into Masters. My coach apparently did a few workouts with the group we're joining...and they put him in the slow lane. So now, I'm pretty paranoid.

Lovely.
2009-03-13 9:59 PM

User image

Ann Arbor,MI

Hey everyone - so I made it to the pool this Friday. I even made it a  little different with a set of 8 x 100. I have never done that before. I liked it. It's going to be nice here tomorrow, so the family is hoping to hit the track at some point for a few miles. (Then I have to go to work for a while)

Have a great weekend!

Tom

2009-03-16 3:29 PM

User image

Subject: Happy St. Patrick's Day Eve

All-

I ended up getting a bike (2003 Specialized Allez Elite 27 - more details on Specialized page and on bikepedia ...) a couple of weeks ago... from Brooklyn of all places. (I'm about 90 mins from there in NJ).

Original owner was a guy who bought it with thoughts of doing a triathlon, put about 170 miles on it (supposedly) and then let the bike sit around for a few years.  I'm certainly no bike expert, but the bike seemed to be in good shape, so I bought it.

Been out on it for 3 good sessions and I am INCREDIBLY pleased. Having come from a 1992 Diamondback Sorrento mountain bike, anything would probably be an improvemment, but I'm happy nonetheless. I'll be getting it checked out by a friend-of-a-friend who owns a bike shop, but I think it was money well spent.

Just wanted to share that with everyone here... (and thanks to Barb & Todd for responding to my initial bike post).

Hope everyone is well...

Take care,

AJ

Edited by artford333 2009-03-16 3:31 PM
2009-03-16 4:09 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
That's great to hear, AJ!! Hopefully the weather starts getting nice out in Jersey so you can enjoying riding her.

Tom, how much rest were you doing on the 8x100? And how'd the track go!?

I'm 15 days away from officially kicking my training program off...I'm getting really excited! So when I hate life and training in the late summer, someone remind me of my positive outlook.
2009-03-17 5:42 AM
in reply to: #2021382

User image

Ann Arbor,MI

RunningJayhawk - 2009-03-16 5:09 PM That's great to hear, AJ!! Hopefully the weather starts getting nice out in Jersey so you can enjoying riding her. Tom, how much rest were you doing on the 8x100? And how'd the track go!? I'm 15 days away from officially kicking my training program off...I'm getting really excited! So when I hate life and training in the late summer, someone remind me of my positive outlook.

I rested for about 20 sec on average between sets. I'm going to do just a straight swim on Wed and then do 10x100's on Friday. The track was nice. We took all three boys with us, so my wife ran first while I ran after the boys, then I ran a little. (We had to go by then) I'm working late tonight, so I'm going to take my running gear and run between the normal workday and the evening. It's going to be almost 70  here today. Whoo-hoo!

2009-03-18 8:59 PM

User image

Veteran

Hey guys,

I'm still here but have been buried with work and this is Spring Break so the kids grab me every chance they get.  I have managed to pick up the volume despite lingering effects of the pneumonia.  I'm hoping it's totally kicked by this weekend. 

I went 4 hours last Sunday, going 4 this weekend and we have a 100 mile rally the following weekend so Barb, I feel ya.  I'm lucky because i get to do most rides with my wife and a group of friends who are training for HIM or IM.  I definitely could not (and would not want to) train for an IM every year.  The way I hope to get through the tough weeks is to know it is just a short time and the race will be here and gone.  The rest of the summer (after June 21st) is mine to do as I please. 

Barb, are you going to be solo for your rides or will yor husband or coach be along at all? 

2009-03-20 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2026733

User image

Expert
Chicago
TeeCris - 2009-03-18 8:59 PM

Barb, are you going to be solo for your rides or will yor husband or coach be along at all? 

At my request we're trying to time them (most, if not all) with organized rides in the midwest. I don't mind paying a small fee for a well-supported ride.

Right now I'm locked into Apple Cider Century in September and BikeMO in October.

There's also the Chicago Cycling Club who has weekly organized rides with longer rides scheduled throughout the summer, but they're in the 20-25 mph range and that's definitely beyond my abilities. There have a century listed for 15-18mph, so that will be more my range when the time comes.

Otherwise, my husband Mike will probably do a handful of longer rides with me. While it would help me mentally, I definitely dread 100 on my own.

2009-04-12 7:55 AM

User image

Ann Arbor,MI

Hey Everyone!

I have been lost lately. Working 30 days straight, getting the flu, family mad at me for being gone so much and just to top it off - one last throat sick thing that is hanging on a bit. I've been feeling crappy about not working out. I ran once or twice during the last month, but that's it. 

Now it's time to get on it! My first tri is in 2 months and I feel like I'm starting from scratch. I know I have a little left in me, so it won't be all that bad, but I have a long way to go. I hope you all are still on track - time for me to stop letting work get in the way and make the time. It's time to rock!

Happy Easter all. Enjoy the day!

Tom

2009-04-13 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2078985

User image

Expert
Chicago
tommyp2602 - 2009-04-12 7:55 AM

Hey Everyone!

I have been lost lately. Working 30 days straight, getting the flu, family mad at me for being gone so much and just to top it off - one last throat sick thing that is hanging on a bit. I've been feeling crappy about not working out. I ran once or twice during the last month, but that's it. 

Now it's time to get on it! My first tri is in 2 months and I feel like I'm starting from scratch. I know I have a little left in me, so it won't be all that bad, but I have a long way to go. I hope you all are still on track - time for me to stop letting work get in the way and make the time. It's time to rock!

Happy Easter all. Enjoy the day!

Tom

Oh man...that sounds brutal. Do you have any days off coming up? Hopefully you'll be able to shake off whatever is getting to you soon.

I got hit with the flu last week (on my husband's birthday *AND* my first full week of training no less). I wasn't happy. Luckily I was only out for 3 days...and now I'm left with remnants of sniffles that just won't go away.

Which one is your first race? And are you still planning on doing steelhead? We're registering with our tax return...if only it'd get here faster!
2009-04-14 8:14 PM

User image

Ann Arbor,MI

Ran tonight. Went slow to keep heart rate in check. I felt really good the whole time. I think the last few times I ran, I was going too hard. It hurt, I was out of breath and didn't like it. I really liked tonight's run. 

Kind of like that T.I. song - where he says "The old me is dead and gone" It's tri season. Let's go!

My first race is two months from today - Motor City Tri. 6/14. Still thinking about Steelhead. If I keep fereling this good, then I just might.

2009-04-15 8:32 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Excellent. Keep up the great work.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tee Cris' Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7