BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esteil's Group - CLOSED Ultras (iron on up 50k on up) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2008-12-20 9:35 AM

Subject: esteil's Group - CLOSED Ultras (iron on up 50k on up)

sorry for the mislead about the group - Ron had to post this for me since there is problems on my end.  I'm open to helping from the iron on up --- but not for speed just how to get in under the time limits.  For the other ultras, can help you with true race plan and realistic plans and merging them.  For those uncomfortable for posting here - feel free to email directly (and you don't have to be named Bill to be involved).  Would love to get more women involved - the European men would like your prescence :-

NAME: esteil / Eileen Steil

STORY:  Used triathlons to avoid going to school while working on my Doctorate.  Ok, joking, but only halfway.  Been involved in sports for life.  Found I was really good at just going and going, and speed only when being pushed.  Found the Ultras and fell in love.  Anything and everything from the half iron to the deca iron fulfills my love of sports. For those that are new to ultras or never heard of them - keep an open mind for down the road.  They are NOT meant for everyone, but for those that they are, here to hold your hand or massage your feet :-)  Even if you are not interested in doing an ultra, there is ALWAYS a need for crew, which can be a challenge in itself!

FAMILY STATUS: Single, dating and loving life :-)
CURRENT TRAINING:  Recovering this month and just playing catch up on life. 

THIS YEARS RACES: Several week and weekend jaunts and one long race that broke me mentally, recovered, then broke me physically - at mile 215 of a run on day 13 it is advised against running 14 minutes for a 1.2 mile loop - several of these will cause blisters that will stop you.  However, found the best crew a woman could be fortunate to have and truly humbled at the generosity of others.

2009 RACES:  Not allowed to release that until I get official papers of ok to go forward.  This will get interesting quickly.  However, the event will not start until November, so plenty of time to help mentor.

WEIGHTLOSS:  The training and races take care of that, if anything I have trouble eating enough and that creates a very bad situation.  I am my own build and no matter how hard or how many hours you put on this body I am a firm size 10/12 and will never be anything less, despite how this angers the Europeans I race with.  Sadly with the ultras - I don't know how healthy some of them are and there are huge weight (read water) gains during events over a few days.  THIS is the reason I want to help mentor - and would love to see more Americans doing these events.  Trial and error has taught many a lessons and ready to share with those getting into their first ultra whatever I can.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:  Would like to take on a select hand full of ultraites that want to go that next route/challenge.  For the iron - if you live in Atlanta would take you on but know I might be making some mistakes since its been since 2002 for a single iron - I'll be relearning right alongside of you.  Have several BTers that are patients and trying to push them over the edge (DOLLAR!!!).  I know it is just a matter of time :-)  I'll give a top ten:

1. DNF and Finish - experience on both ends for the 2x/3x/10x irons.  Ultra runs and biking distances both dnfs and finishes.  I am too slow - I don't know how to ride my bike - but I know what you are SUPPOSED to do.  Often if a few things go wrong there isn't a finish and know when to pull out to stay healthy (health is always the number one concern).  The mind games this can set up - well have huge experience in getting over those humps.  Purposeful dnfs in some of those events (with the exception of the deca - that is always an 'anything can happen situation') bc they were used as training.

2.  All finishes - for the iron distances and 5xirons and thinking maybe 50 milers and half irons?  I know how to put together a game plan and know limitations.  Ready to share these insights with others.

3.  Not only as an athlete, but with my Doctorate knowledge of the body and 16 yrs as a massage therapist - I understand the body/injuries/over-use/and how to fix them on the fly and how to avoid them during ultra training.

4.  Anyone intrigued by the double/triple in Virginia?  I usually end up mentoring someone for at least this race along with several 50/100 milers, and even some mountain climbers with training knowledge (know jack about climbing a mountain - but know how to build endurance).  I've never ever accepted cash for the training, nor plan to in the future.  This is my true passion and want to help you seek your true abilities. 

5.  Most likely will be able to come in person to Virginia. If I am not racing can crew/massage.  If racing/training is to happen that weekend can still get you through the event.

6.  Gearing up for a very big challenge and will be available to do longer training here in Atlanta if anyone needs the support for the iron level on up.

7.  If I am there in person I'll get you through your ultra even if that means dragging your shell across an imaginary line in the sand.  Ok, I know that is usually against the rules, but there are very few athletes that are resistant to puncturing the shell even if it is mental.  I might stop short in my own races - but there isn't an athlete yet that hasn't seen a finish line that I've had the pleasure of mentoring.  Just finished up athlete number 22 for finish lines.  I know there will be a first at some point, but so far so good :-

8.  Cause it's just cool to discover what your body is actually capable of.  You can ALWAYS go just a bit further, and you just have to keep going a bit further for a few minutes more, then a few minutes more after that.  Before you know it, the week is over and the finish line is in front of you.

9.  Knowledge of what equipment does NOT handle the abuse over time, and what does.  The body as a machine - the mental is the most important, because the training will take care of if the body can physically do it.  There to hold your hand no matter what the block might be.  Understand balance - and it is very possible gearing up for an ultra.

10.  My open mind - wide open.  When everyone around you thinks you've lost your mind, I am here to reassure you that you HAVE and living outside the box is a good thing.

~~~last but not least --- will check in at least twice/week and post, but you can have access to me via phone and email that gets answered daily.  If you live in Atlanta will want to do some rides/runs and bikes with you.  If you are within a 7 hr drive time from ATL always up for a training weekend and traveling.  I operate my own businesses and have the luxury of taking off whatever time I need/want for a training week/weekend.

Peace, love, happiness and may your carbon hold up :-)

2008-12-20 5:01 PM
in reply to: #1864660

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-12-21 6:27 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Esteil's Group - OPEN *Ultras Only
Hi Eileen!

I, too, LOVE to go long. Since catching the bug in 2006, I've done 3 marathons, IMCDA, a 5 mile OWS across the Straits of Mackinac, a 153 mile ride across Michigan, numerous half mary's, and even more OLY/Tweener distance tri's.

I injured my shoulder in a cycling "incident" with a semi-movable object (trash can....) back in June. After months of pain and numerous attempts at "non-invasive healing techinques," finally threw in the towel and had surgery to repair what turned out to be a torn labrum 2.5 weeks ago. It will be March-ish before I'm in the pool again, so I'm focusing on long rides/runs this season. My plans at this point include the National 24 Hour Bike Challenge in Middleville, Mi in June and the North Country Trail Ultra (50 miler) in September. If possible, I'd also like to squeeze a BQ marathon in as well!

I'm thrilled to find a mentor/support group to help me reach my goals this year. All of my tri team buddies think I'm nuts and there are no other local ultra-distance athletes that I can "share the love" with....

Thanks!!
Bill
2008-12-22 9:29 AM

Elite
San Diego
Subject: RE: Esteil's Group - OPEN *Ultras Only

Hey Eileen,

I am going to be a mentor as well, mainly for people doing sprints. But, I thought I would pop in a say Hi. I have been a fan of yours for a few years now. I have completed the Virginia Double in 2007 and am going back in 2009. I can't see myself doing any race shorter than a double, but probably not any longer because I like my sleep.

Anyway, I would love to pick your brain over the next year if that is cool?

Thanks,
Tom

2008-12-23 12:18 AM
in reply to: #1865043

Subject: This will be fun!

Bill,

Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner.  I've been trying to log in for a few days and there was a problem on this end (got it finally Ron - thanks!).

Excited to have you.  Didn't know how this would be supported, but figured someone had to offer.

Think the first thing to focus on is your base for the bike - we can discuss it more after the holidays.  (be sure the fam is on board with the ultra stuff :-) )

The BQ will be interesting while you train for your first 100 - it might be overkill and it is possible you might want to chose one over the other, but again, first thing first that 350er.

No ideas of grandeur - if you dream it, train for it, you can be it.  It is the training that has to be done smart.

2008-12-23 12:26 AM
in reply to: #1866274

Subject: Bill two too

Bill - happy to have you on board too :-)

Hope the shoulder is doing better.  With a labrum it is better to get it sx on then let that baby go.  Problem with running might come into play with the armswing, so I hope you are taking your rehab seriously, and if the PT didn't give you anything just ask and I can direct you to some sites.  You're going to need that arm for the bike too.

Way cool on the 24 er, is this your first?  If it is, we should probably discuss training at night for a few hours and some sleep dep stuff so you can be powerful towards the end as you are at the beginning.  I would also incorporate at least once/month a day in your shoes, all day so you know that uncomfortable feeling of walking in those shoes and the desire to want to take them off - trust me on this one.  If you haven't thought about crew yet, would start thinking along those lines.  As the time gets closer, have lots for your crew too.  Now if this isn't your first, then if you have any holes you need plugged up or patchworked, given to me to examine, I'm good with the math.

I don't think I can help you kids with the BQer since I am S L O W only know how to go long.

And yes, you are nuts, but you have fellow crazies down the road and you stop in often, it's ok, we like you here.

2008-12-23 12:32 AM
in reply to: #1867126

Subject: you got me blushing

Tom - snickered and blushed at the fan for years comment.  I forget that in America there are pple that follow the exploits - in Europe I just don't understand what they are saying so I don't get embarrassed (and yes my spelling is bad this late at night).

Huge congratulations on Virginia - its one of the hardest on the circuit, and it is home.

Ask away - anything you need, I'm there.  We might have to rename you Bill 3 though, as that seems to be the name for this thread.

oh....and the little door I like to kick in with regards to you like to sleep, um, you get to in the quintuple and deca.  Ok, left that door ajar with me in the room=bad idea :-)  Food for thought, in Mexico they are going to do the 10 irons 10 days in November.  Jorge will let you do whatever variation of that you want.  I'm going down with plans to just do 5-8 of them.  Take off a few days for margaritas and go explore one of the mountains.

I might be up in Virginia in 2009 - just waiting on some documentation to come through before I can commit to anything for 09 (aside from Jorge's).

2008-12-23 10:55 AM

Elite
San Diego
Subject: RE: esteil's Group - OPEN Ultras (iron on up 50k on up)

Damn you and your door kicking. I was just sitting at my desk thinking about the logistics of the quintuple and how I might actually be up for it, when I got a Christmas email from Jorge.

Is that fate?????

Now, I need to talk to my wife

2008-12-23 8:32 PM
in reply to: #1868864

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Bill two too

Hope the shoulder is doing better.  With a labrum it is better to get it sx on then let that baby go.  Problem with running might come into play with the armswing, so I hope you are taking your rehab seriously, and if the PT didn't give you anything just ask and I can direct you to some sites.  You're going to need that arm for the bike too.

Knock wood, the shoulder seems to be coming along. Christmas will be 3 weeks post-op and I'm weening myself out of the sling. My ortho gave me a recommended rehab protocol which consists of basic pendulum and isometric exercises on my own with PT-assisted ROM exercises for another week. AAROM stuff starts in week 5. I would be very interested in the sites you recommend, however, as a smell check!

Got on the dreadmill and stationary bike twice this week, interesting....anything over a 4.2 mph brisk walk was pretty ouchy. Bike was no problem, but riding one handed was different.

Way cool on the 24 er, is this your first?  If it is, we should probably discuss training at night for a few hours and some sleep dep stuff so you can be powerful towards the end as you are at the beginning.

Yup, this is my first. In order to maintain domestic harmony, the vast majority of my IM training was done pre-dawn, so night riding is no problem. I'm fortunate to live in a very bike-friendly area and frequently ride the 27 mile commute to work (when we don't have 24" of snow on the ground....sigh). The sleep dep part will be new....

What would you recommend in terms of a training plan? Do you start at "X" weeks out and build like a typical IM plan?

I would also incorporate at least once/month a day in your shoes, all day so you know that uncomfortable feeling of walking in those shoes and the desire to want to take them off - trust me on this one.

Assume you are talking about running shoes here? Just wear them from the time I wake up 'til I go to bed?

Thanks!!
GH Bill

Edited by grandhavenbill 2008-12-23 8:33 PM
2008-12-23 9:44 PM
in reply to: #1869390

Bill 3 /madcow/tom - lalalalala quintuples my favorite :-

Something to think about, this year he is doing the single iron/day for whatever days you want.  If you decide long and hard the answer will come to you.  The first two days will be cake, it will be day 3/4 of the 5x I anticipate sticking problems.  The 5th you get to just roll out of bed and go play, the endorphins will get you through.

If you plan to go this route, the best way to train for this is to get your iron time smooth and quick.  Train like an iron and throw in a few longer workouts once per month (like you did for the double) but do those on limited sleep to teach the body how to function on exhaustion.  You have to obviously be cautious to avoid injury, so no speed work on that second day.

When the time is right, let me know whatcha got.  Your wife must be a Saint - but you can always tantilize her with a vacation on the beach right after the race in November.  If that doesn't work, let her know that Mexico is the birthplace of the deca - hence mega history.  It's like our Kona :-)

2008-12-23 10:15 PM
in reply to: #1870485

grandhavenbill - 2008-12-23 8:32 PM

OTE] Knock wood, the shoulder seems to be coming along. Christmas will be 3 weeks post-op and I'm weening myself out of the sling. My ortho gave me a recommended rehab protocol which consists of basic pendulum and isometric exercises on my own with PT-assisted ROM exercises for another week. AAROM stuff starts in week 5. I would be very interested in the sites you recommend, however, as a smell check! Got on the dreadmill and stationary bike twice this week, interesting....anything over a 4.2 mph brisk walk was pretty ouchy. Bike was no problem, but riding one handed was different.

^^^The smell check isn't needed - the basic pendulum was the first thing I was going to suggest, and the isometric is par for course.  Follow what the PT is doing, and be sure to express to him/her you are serious about returning to activity and will do whatever homework they want you to do.  Do NOT rush the recovery, it will cost you in the long run.  I suspected the bike with one hand would be different (happy you are doing it indoors! - and don't dream of rollers).  The walk sounds about right.  That first run is going to be interesting, and returning to the pool is going to be challenging.  4.2 is very good given the tear (personally, I do not like the treadmill bc of your instability, you are braver than me!!).  Like the idea of active rom to help increase circulation and bust up some of the scar tissue.  BE sure to express to the PT when your upcoming race is and your desire to put strength on that arm to support the body (you most likely will be starting out in the seated position and not aerobars bc of the labrum recovery). 

QUOTE]Way cool on the 24 er, is this your first?  If it is, we should probably discuss training at night for a few hours and some sleep dep stuff so you can be powerful towards the end as you are at the beginning.

Yup, this is my first. In order to maintain domestic harmony, the vast majority of my IM training was done pre-dawn, so night riding is no problem. I'm fortunate to live in a very bike-friendly area and frequently ride the 27 mile commute to work (when we don't have 24" of snow on the ground....sigh). The sleep dep part will be new.... What would you recommend in terms of a training plan? Do you start at "X" weeks out and build like a typical IM plan?

^^^^well, that is one way, and suggested.  Since the cycling is the main focus, you can look at backwards to peak and work on speed.  First though is to build forward and build distance.  You want to aim to be comfortable in the saddle for the full 24.  I suggest looking at it in blocks for the 24 and aiming for a certain load.  6 hr blocks is a convenient number to break it into (just 4 rounds of 6 hrs).  There are numerous ways to train for 24 hrs but this method (whatever number you choose for your blocks) will give you a number to shoot for that one long hard ride/week at tempo.  If you need better help with this, I by no means have a full proof plan, but can help you place your blocks in.  Would look at how far out you are, place in build and recover - if you want to do 3 up 1 down.  You are going to need that recover.   Sleep dep stuff isn't too bad for a 24 hr, it isn't as important as other races, but you will want to discover where your weakness is and where the speed drops off.  This will give you a realistic expectation to judge what you can pull off time wise.  Remember at all times if you are tired - SLEEP is way more important that pushing through that on a bike, and you can always get off the bike and nap then hop on. 

I would also incorporate at least once/month a day in your shoes, all day so you know that uncomfortable feeling of walking in those shoes and the desire to want to take them off - trust me on this one.
Assume you are talking about running shoes here? Just wear them from the time I wake up 'til I go to bed? Thanks!! GH Bill
  Nope - talking about the bike shoes.  The first time you have your shoes on that long it just sucks.  Best to try it at home first.  Would suggest this just once during your training - most definately not mandatory, but better to feel it ahead of time.  After your first, you really don't need to do this again.  Something I always forget for the big plan of breaking the 24 hrs up, plan on not just resting for food and stretching (if you do that kind of thing and need it at the 24 hr - for your first I would suggest this) but also for taking the shoes OFF and changing socks and vasoline for the feet.  Easy time wasters on a break, you can lose an hour without you even knowing it.

ok, think that is all I have right now.  In your down time with recover, start sketching out a game plan with blocks to build.  Thinking about lights and doing your research now isn't a bad idea.  I know you have something you use for commute, but the 27 miles is way different than when you are exhausted and need that light to see the road and keep you awake.  Please don't second guess that PT and give the recovery the proper time.  These first few weeks are very important for your long term health, ok?  NO RUSHING.

Enjoy the Holidays and your stronger health.   Every day gives that arm one more day of health and strength! 

2008-12-23 10:36 PM
in reply to: #1870594

Elite
San Diego
esteil - 2008-12-23 7:44 PM

Bill 3 /madcow/tom - lalalalala quintuples my favorite :-

Something to think about, this year he is doing the single iron/day for whatever days you want.  If you decide long and hard the answer will come to you.  The first two days will be cake, it will be day 3/4 of the 5x I anticipate sticking problems.  The 5th you get to just roll out of bed and go play, the endorphins will get you through.

If you plan to go this route, the best way to train for this is to get your iron time smooth and quick.  Train like an iron and throw in a few longer workouts once per month (like you did for the double) but do those on limited sleep to teach the body how to function on exhaustion.  You have to obviously be cautious to avoid injury, so no speed work on that second day.

When the time is right, let me know whatcha got.  Your wife must be a Saint - but you can always tantilize her with a vacation on the beach right after the race in November.  If that doesn't work, let her know that Mexico is the birthplace of the deca - hence mega history.  It's like our Kona :-)

I think that the quintuple might be too much of a stretch for 2009. After talking it over with my wife, she wants me to finish the double first in 2009, then tackle the 5XIM in 2010. Mainly concentrating on one race per year. I am worried that there isn't enough of a break between Virginia and Mexico for me. I remember how much I hurt after every race I have been in

BTW, she wasn't that impressed with Mexico being the birthplace of the Deca. She said San Diego is the birthplace of triathlons so there is enough history here for her 

In the 5X and 10X IM races, what are the time cutoffs per day? Also, I think the swim is in a pool, but what are the course distances for the bike and run?

2008-12-23 11:02 PM
in reply to: #1870679

Your wife is smart!  The double then Mexico is a bad combo (one of the many many reasons why I go there and purposely drop out just for mileage).  Remember Virginia is bruttal conditions - great race, but challenging.  Mexico is a given and flat, freaky flat.

The day by day irons it is a 24 hr cut off, but not really.  No clue what Jorge's plan is, but typically you have to be ready to go to the pool about 90 minutes before the start every morning.  The time will only be important in the later irons.

Something to think about, Jorge always says this will be the last, yet (Thank God!) he keeps putting them on.  This last deca was his largest numbers.  There is no pattern to what he does race wise, but don't plan on 2010 being the 10x10 or the 5x5.  Would probably bank on a traditional deca or quintuple (or both like he did this year).

The course distance is the park - 1.2 mile loop.  It sounds bruttal, and it might be, but the course is pretty and I think the perfect distance for safety and comfort.  Will ve finishing up the rr from deca with tons of photos soon (bigger project needing my immediate attn for race season 2009 right now) on the blog at wordpress. 

San Diego - ahhhhhhhhhhh :-)  insert mega jealousy right now.

hope you and Mrs. madcow have beautiful Holidays, time for this girl to get some sleep!

2008-12-24 9:05 AM
in reply to: #1870649

Extreme Veteran
Eileen,

Good stuff, thanks so much!

Re the bike training plan: 3 up/1 down served me well in my IM training. Would you recommend one long ride per week? How long will the longest long ride be? Should I plan on a taper?

24 hours in bike shoes?!?!?!? Light bulb is on now, makes good sense. It also makes my dogs bark just thinking about it....

BTW, I am in awe of you multi-IM distance folks. Something to aspire to when I grow up! ;-)

Merry Christmas my long distance friends!

GH Bill
2008-12-26 7:28 AM
in reply to: #1870954

Bill -

long day in the saddle/and work/and play, have to get out the door - but first a quickie for you:

longest bike in general for the 24 depends on your goal.  If it is to finish and be comfortable then I would suggest 15-18 hrs as your longest bike (and place it about 6 weeks prior) if it is to go fast and hard then I would be doing your longest week at 3 days at 6 hrs of hard speed.  Place that one about 5 weeks out.

You will read things across the board on this one, but in the n=1 experiment this is what has worked.  Time for you to play a bit with what your body gets to do :-)  and the dogs will get used to the shoes.  mine still talk to me.  When you get ready for this, would prefer it on that longest day when you are miserable already so you can experience the worst of it...its just for the mental training, nothing more nothing less.

ok, going to be late if I don't move it.

2008-12-26 8:17 PM

New user

Hello,

My name is Ingrid and I would like to join this group. I have never participated in a triathlon before but ultimately I would like to do an Ironman.

I am 42 yo, single and have no kids. I have about 100 pounds that I would like to lose, and I want to  use triathlon training to help me achieve that weight loss.

My goals are:

1. Incorporate exercise as part of my daily lifestlye (as opposed to my current 7 day rest program)
  2. Complete a triathlon with a smile on my face

I do have other sport specific goals, but these are my 'baby step' goals. I've chosen the ULTRA group, since it covers the distances that I'd like to cover.

I realize that I may not participate in an IM or even half iron man in 2009 and that is OK.

Well, if there are any other questions for me please go ahead and ask them.

2008-12-27 9:33 AM

Extreme Veteran
Mountains of Colorado!

Eileen,

i would love to join your group. I'm a father of two 5 and 8. I'm four years in the sport having done 3 ironmen 1 Dnf in an offroad iron due to a dislocated shoulder and multiple marathons including NYC just recently...the fist year i lost 100lbs training and did a half iron as my first race.. 5:32 slow but i finished. Then various races and an Ironman over the 2nd year..then comes the third year when i got the bright idea of gaining 35lbs to race a buddy in clydesdale well I took 2nd in the half iron and knocked him off the podium.. well needless to say i'm still clydesdale... did IMFL this past year...and i just need some motivation.. i want to go long but have no idea about nutrition or training as i have always self trained. I'm signed up for IM cozumel in Nov. and I'm thinking of doing the Transrockies... i'm king of the 10 minute mile and i really love running singletrack so offroad ultras really are appealing to me.

thanks

2008-12-27 8:05 PM

Extreme Veteran

Hi!

I just want to lurk a little.  I am Tom (madcow's) crew chief.  I am interested in crew related issues but would love to her your ideas about nutrition, pacing, and anything else that comes along.  Looks like he might step up to the 3X instead of the 2X in 2009.  At this point he is looking at maybe going 5X by 2010.  Nutrition is going to be the key and I think we have a lot of work to do there.  I look forward to learning lots.

Sherri

2008-12-28 8:28 PM
in reply to: #1873037

Ingrid - excited about your goals :-)  Think its important to think of the big picture, but as you take the steps to your goals I would like to have you watch MadCows group (and participate too!).  He is geared towards sprint and oly which is a very healhty place to start.  I don't want you to burn out by doing too much too soon.  Why MadCow? - he likes the ultras so he will understand and help you with the basics on up and help provide a foundation for the big picture.  I can help you with some issues (female) that he can't, but think it would be good for both of us to get you there.

Have you eyed a first race/distance yet?  Realistically look at your week and figure out how many hours you would like to devote to training.  If you want someone to hold you accountable would it be ok to check in here once a week and constructively look at your weaknesses and strengths?  You chose the day, just put it on your planner and check in, ok?  Part of the process of going long (and long is relative - every distance that is new to you is long) is developing the mental end.  One thing that has worked over the years is looking constructively at what is working and what can be tweaked.  For every weakness (or perceived weakness!), you have to list two strengths (positive changes). 

Excited about the new road for you woman - this is in you!

2008-12-28 8:37 PM
in reply to: #1873364

Ellasdad - 100 lb drop, wow, thats amazing!  When is the transrockies, and what is it (assume a bike race).  IM Cozumel now that sounds like fun - only let's hold you accountable to get to your race weight (or close) so that the trip to Cozumel has your best effort.  After all you are spending all those beans to get there.  The DNF on the offroad is completly different than road, so please just chalk that up as experience and mental fortitude (disclocated shoulder - ouch ouch ouch!).

Would assume you are in off season mode (need to recover from NYmary) and the Holidays.  During this time try to look at what your limitors are - obviously you stated nutrition.  This is a good time to start base building - the basics: gentle spinning, yoga/pilates, strength training.  The foundation you set now will carry you through the year.  Not too much though, because November is a long way off, and you don't want to be burnt out.  Get back to me about the specifics with the Transrockies and how close you are leaning towards it.  Also, your limitors and what your realistic training hours are per week.  Don't forget to schedule in time for the family, because those come first long before your needs, as you know.

Happy to have you play in the group :-)  have a feeling you'll be teaching us some stuff about the transrockies!

2008-12-28 8:56 PM
in reply to: #1873978

Sherri-

when I got your email earlier, I thought you were his wife, and I got confused how you lived on one coast and him on the other, now it makes sense!  Sherri you are a special lady to look after him!

Nutrition is a complete different beast for the 3x than the 2x.  And not just for Tom, but for his crew.  I don't know how many people you are planning on having come crew for him, but when you slip into the extra iron making sure the crew is fresh is just as important as keeping Tom going forward.  This includes proper hydration and food for you guys!

Going to throw out some basic questions, answer here what you feel comfortable (or seperate email if you don't want to give Tom's secrets away) so I can help make you super super crew :-)

What do you think was the strongest part of the crew, what worked the best, and what do you think was the areas of weakness or change you would make?  What was your most challenging moment?  How fresh did you feel at noon, midnight, 3 am?  How about Tom - did you notice certain foods perked him up and others he declined?  Anyone keep track of his urine output (if he wasn't congnitive enough?) bc this one is most important during the 3x when the lack of sleep comes in - after his first few, he won't need anyone keeping an eye on him, he'll know if he's in trouble.  Did Tom listen to you (authorative enough)?  Do you think he time wasted, and if so what can he do different?  (big time wasters - phone, pick up notes - although sweet it takes minutes away from movement and the only thing Tom should be focusing on is keep going forward, THE CHAIR - the breaks are important but do you guys have agreed upon rule plans for the chair? 

On nutritional side - does Tom react ok to RedBull (since they always come out) or another perker for the lull?  If so, how did you handle the crash, was there a crash?  For the triple, there is huge exhaustion towards the end of the race, you'll want to plan for setup and breakdown so that the crew and Tom are not exhausted before the race starts and can plan to have a good finish and be fresh.  Will talk more about that closer to October :-)  for now, need to get some work done.  Work on what I asked above over the next few weeks and lets see if we can't buy some more free race time that is just sitting there for the taking.

2008-12-28 9:13 PM

Elite
San Diego

Eileen and Ingrid, I was thinking the same thing. Join my group, we will be more geared toward your goals and Like Eileen said, she can help with whatever "female issues" you may have.

I'm glad Sherri is here, she was waaay more in tune with what I needed than I was. I was going to ask Sherri about my nutrition, then ask you here, but it looks like Sherri cut out the middle man

Thank you both for everything you are doing to help me.

2008-12-28 10:34 PM
in reply to: #1875037

(whispering - uh, you forgot to mention the 3x)

no worries on helping Tom - its fun to help others see new goals.  It would be a crime to not share the info and mistakes up in the head - its why we are on Earth right?

We'll buy you some free time- obviously you have it in you.  You should be cut out - your only job is to swim, ride your bike, run and eat/drink what Sherri hands you :-)

Really limited time this week - but if you get a chance email what your races are, so maybe I can give you some input of what to add/take away.  10 months out I would be doing some base building and muscle building/endurance.  Also try to think about what you thought was missing/or perfect/ you really liked so those little touches can be recreated.

2008-12-30 10:21 PM

Elite
San Diego

About the triple. You opened that door, remember? And I think Sherri has been secretly planning on me doing the triple all along. I probably would have caught on when she told me the race started on Friday and not Saturday

As far as races for 2009 goes. I only have the Virginia race. I was going to try and build a base until about April/May, then focus on the triple. The only thing I am not sure about is that was the plan when I was thinking of doing the double. I don't know if I shouuld start any earlier training for the triple instead.

2008-12-31 5:32 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esteil's Group - CLOSED Ultras (iron on up 50k on up) Rss Feed  

of 5