BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esteil's Group - CLOSED Ultras (iron on up 50k on up) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2009-01-19 10:04 AM
in reply to: #1864660

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: esteil's Group - OPEN Ultras (iron on up 50k on up)

Eileen et.al.

My ortho cleared me to start running again last Friday, woo-hoo!  Celebrated yesterday with a 5 miler that felt great considering I haven't done any running in over 7 weeks. 

I'm now toying around with the idea of a spring mary in addition to the 24 hour bike race in mid June which is my early season "A" race......Blame it on cabin fever (another 12" of snow this weekend, sigh.....), maybe this is biting off too much?  I'm looking for thoughts from you seasoned ultra folks on how close I could place these on the calendar.

Tx,
Bill

2009-01-24 9:47 PM
in reply to: #1916080

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Bill,

Which 24 hours bike race are you training for? Texas time trial?

Mike
2009-01-24 10:10 PM

User image

Veteran

Here we go,

I would like to join in on this group as well. I started running 3 years ago. I have numerous 1/2 marathons under my belt and one full. 

I started triathlon 2 years ago...after I learned to swim and have a few sprints and one 1/2 IM under my belt. I am looking at doing a full IM...just not sure where or when.

I have become very interrested in running longer. I am slow, but I have a boat load of endurance. I have many questions.

I am married to a wonderfully supportive wife andwe have a beautiful 6 year old son...We live in the mind numbing cold of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Training outside is not a problem, I have no choice! (on the -40 days it's the dreadmill in the basement though!) When I started running I was about 300lbs...I have lost 70lbs since I started 3 years ago...I still have a ways to go, however. Not sure what else to say at this point, other than work ethic is not really an issue...I'm kind of stubborn when I get a goal in my sights.

Scott

2009-01-25 11:26 AM
in reply to: #1927408

User image

Extreme Veteran

MikeB - 2009-01-24 10:47 PM Bill, Which 24 hours bike race are you training for? Texas time trial? Mike

Mike,

I'll be doing the National 24 Hour Challenge in Middleville, MI. 

www.n24hc.org

2009-01-25 8:13 PM

Subject: ok group goals and a little motive for the week
alright, promised I would get around to this in one location - this is copied straight from the posts, but wanted it in one place:

wgraves7582 snowshoe marathon in Vermont in March and a 320 mile consecutive bike race in Iowa in May.

My summer plans include The Buffalo Marathon again and hopefully the 6 hour challenge again

My ultimate goal is to get into the Umstead 100 next year and depending on how that goes shoot for a Western 100 in a couple of more years

grandhavenbill National 24 Hour Bike Challenge in Middleville, Mi in June and the North Country Trail Ultra (50 miler) in September. If possible, I'd also like to squeeze a BQ marathon in as well!
Recovering from playtime with a trashcan :-)

madcow 3xvirginia lurker and is going to kick some!

Oliveview - super crew

Techracer - joining Madcow's group and down the road ultras in the big picture here to help with female issues and motivation.

ellasdad IM cozumel in Nov. and I'm thinking of doing the Transrockies (both of these sound like tons of fun to me!!)

Paulettejo april 50 miler, a June 100 miler, a september 100 miler, and IMAZ

McFuzz Ironman (IMCDA) and an ultra (McNaughton-50) The ultra is April 11 and IMCDA is June 21.

swbkrun start with a 50k. Adventure race (although the longest one was 13 hours) and eventually would love to get into 24hr, stage races, and week long races!

MissKelly I'm considering my first ultra this fall

jonathan22 1/25 - Callaway 1/2 Mary - R *ah that would be today perfect day for a jaunt in the park
2/8 - Red Top Rumble - R
2/15 - Tundra Time Trial - R
3/7 - CRR 10k - R
3/29 - ING 1/2 Mary - R
4/25 - Tanner Sprint - R
5/30 - Macon HIM - R
6/13 - West Point Lake Oly - R
6/28 - Ridges 5K OWS
7/4 - Peachtree 10k
7/12 - Chattanooga Oly - R
8/2 - Old Soldiers 10k
8/22 - PTC Sprint
9/27 - Augusta 70.3 - R
12/?? - St. Jude, Kiawah or Rocket City
long term: 2010
Spring 50 miler (Mississippi 50)
Fall 100 miler (Pinhoti 100)
Ultraman Canada
Another 100 miler (WS, Vermont or Leadville)
Pacer for someone else at Badwater
Submit application
Race Badwater

MikeB 2/1 Surf City Marathon 8/1 Vineman

chudley looking at doing a full IM...just not sure where or when *he lives in the frozen tundra :-)

as for me: Just got my application back for a project that will start in November - still trying to get the wording tweaked. If things go well plan on calling it Challenge of a Lifetime. Biggest challenge right now is to sell off this thrift store I accidentally own and maintain as strong of a base as I can until November when it all hits.

*** great group think amongst yourselves there is a ton of info that can be shared. Ron opened up something on here so in theory I can post from my iPhone. I never anticipated the beginning of the year to be what this is so I apologize for not getting on you guys/girls sooner. Ironically, most ultra peeps usually don't need motivation - the race itself will get your tush out that door to do something. Think that is the single thing - CONSISTENCY is what prevails and gets you to that finish line.

Something else I struggle with is the mental end. It's taken years but the sticking points change depending on the event. I know this is normal for everyone, but placing yourself in the situation ahead of time can better prepare you for when it happens in an event/race.

As odd as it sounds - surrounding yourself with good intentions/positive people is the very beginning. If your family/loved ones are not on board its going to make a very hard challenge. If at all possible during this prep time try to start looking around and seeing what is negative in your life and REMOVE it. I allowed myself to be dragged down a really crappy road with a horrific ex (can't call him a bf more of a user) last season, and in my heart I knew he didn't belong but I felt guilted into being there for him (back from war) and this came at a huge financial and emotional cost. The beauty of ultras is working through these issues in a 48 hr time frame that would probably equate to 8 months of therapy back in the real world. I allowed it to be there, and I knew better. The heart is a funny thing. Try to listen to those around you as you get deeper and deeper into the season. If the family is saying you are neglecting certain things, listen up. It is all just an event/race, not the be all end all. Coming out of the events/races healthy and happy and a POSITIVE environment around you is part of the beauty of these things.

I am very jealous of those doing their 'first' of any distance. Your body is giong to go through changes you've never witnessed and you will realize YOU CAN ALWAYS DO JUST A BIT MORE! Taking that attitude after the event and applying it in other avenues of your life will open new doors. Just know that if you have anything full, there is no room for something new in your life. Clean out the old, old everything. Old attitudes, negative energies, preconceived notions of not just yourself but others. You are your worst enemy. If you aren't, remove those that are. Then work on yourself. Life will be easier if you work on this end.

This is about the best little nugget I can give anyone. Life is very full right now (work, love, family ect) and it is only because I removed all things negative permanently. While I was out in Mexico on this last deca, Pete came up to me when we were struggling in the park, and I was using the F word that would make sailors blush. I was on day 7, a bit tired and people were all over the course. I had a 4"x2" hole in my tush, coughing up blood and slamming on my brakes to avoid taking out people just aimlessly walking on the course. Frustration was at an all time high. All Pete kept saying was to go to my happy place (HAH!) and that worked for 10 minutes - and we just kept repeating it until the sun set. When he would remind me to go back I kept telling him damn, someone cracked the window and I escaped. From there on out for the next 12 hrs I kept looking for cracks and crevices that allowed negative things to seep in. Those holes have been plugged up, and hopefully permanently gone. It's these events/races you truly get to figure out what is inside you, and your weaknesses. If you can eliminate as much as you can now, your mind will thank you :-)

2009-01-25 8:14 PM
in reply to: #1927429

welcome aboard! Jump in where you can and don't be afraid to ask questions. You've got amazing talented athletes on here.

2009-01-25 8:17 PM
in reply to: #1916080

Bill - as you recover your body will tell you. If nothing else sign up for the mary and drop down to a half if the body tells you. The distance/time will help you physically/mentally for the 24 hr. I'm jonesing for a 24 hr ride, those are the best!
2009-01-25 8:21 PM
in reply to: #1900695

Welcome Mike :-)
consistency is king!
2009-01-25 9:17 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Hello everyone,

Eileen just sent me a PM checking in on me (as a good mentor would do). I backed off for awhile on this thread because I'm still so overwhelmed by the thought of coming up with a training plan. I've found a couple races I'm considering that both take place in October. One is a 50k and one if a 40 miler. If someone could send me to a couple books or websites or something that would have really good first timer plans that won't require lots of back to backs, I would love that. I know I may need to modify for my own needs, but at least they would be a place to start.

I also want to get back to the protein issue. I've heard real foods are the best at the really long events. You said many people who do ultras are vegans and figure it out, but I'd like to know exactly what kinds of things they eat. I did Payday bars and Gatorade when I felt myself bonking on long rides and I ate a pb & honey on the bike, combined with Hammer Sustained Energy in training and at the IM (I've decided I did not think the Sustained Energy was all that great and wouldn't use again). I also do okay with Slim Fast. What are some other things that people have eaten?

Thanks for all input.
Kelly
2009-01-25 10:59 PM
in reply to: #1928382

kelly -
start here: www.run100s.com that should be more than enough info. Check out some of the links. Peak.com is something I haven't fooled with yet, but one of my buds was passing out their hats at one of the ultras, so I know that is a very friendly ultra site.
ultracycling.com is for the ultra cyclists out there.
http://www.ultrarunning.com/ this is the standard for magazines - and its not a magazine but more a book that you can read tons of articles in.
There are some good books out there - it is late so will get back to you on this one later.

I think under runnersworld there is an ultrarunning group and I bet there are training logs there.

http://www.run100s.com/AR50/runner_info.html most of the way down the page they give some info about 50 milers for that race that you might find useful as generalities for other events.

as stated before consistency is key and not necessarily beating yourself into the ground with the double days - if you were trying to win the thing I would say yes, but getting through it I would say getting in distance over a period of time and building the body is more important.

2009-01-27 5:25 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-02-09 12:47 PM
in reply to: #1932362

Subject: I AM ____________________ !
Positive affirmation time.
Ok group, as with all of you, just getting things aligned for the year in both micro and macro ways is the start. For starters, I have had trouble using the term 'I am' simply because the term 'I' seems so superficial and narcisitic. Yet if you don't take care of yourself, no one else is going to on a daily basis. Why not make yourself the strongest you can be in all avenues of life. I feel that self confidence and self awareness if handled properly only lets you grow and be versus superficial and narcisitic. (sorry if any of this is spelled wrong its been a relaxing zen week!)

THis past week I've had the luxury of being in the prescence of my main mentor and healthiest mind set in my life. One thing he and I worked on during this retreat week was the mind set, relaxing, taking in love of life and self. That downtime is crucial to life in general and living in 'then time' versus 'now time'. Now time is what we live in daily, then time is where I feel I disappear to when out in ultra land or while training or truly in the prescence of something you don't want to ever end. Time passes like it used to - without a clock. Living in then time truly makes time slow down. Which brings me to I AM_______.

The mind is the most powerful thing you own out there. If you are in a bind, you have to work through things and be smart enough to know what is going on with the body and your equiptment.

During your daily activities, if you don't plan time for meditation at the bare minimum do it while you are training. The mind is an avenue that is truly unexplored. Personal experience tells me I go off into a whole different world - even when the endorphins are zapped - it's where the subconscious comes into play.

I AM______________. Simple words, simple thought. Your brain hears what you tell it. You say you aren't going to do something, or you are worthless, you suck (one of my favorite negative thought patterns), ect, guess what the head hears. Guess what the outcome is. The event/race/training is enough of a challenge, why make things harder.

Ask the spirits (whomever/whatever your belief system is) for ease and smoothness and let your brain hear I AM STRONG, I am ready, I am trained for this, I am in love with the elements - bring em, ect. As geeky as this sounds, sometimes it is that boost the challenged system needs in a time of low.

Being a Monday morning quarterback and being able to sit back and analyze your own performances (bc honestly those are the only ones you have any direct concern with) - I bet you will say, wow, could have done that different. I really wasn't moving as slow as I thought I was. I was closer or exceeded my goals, why was I so hard on myself? What words can you incoporate into your psyche that will change things? It is vital you learn now how to put up the blocks to not only the naysayers or those uninformed but especially to those that thrive on the negative - energy vampires as you will. There are more positive people out there in the World that want and will help you succeed than the negative ones. It's ok if someone doesn't understand what you are doing, and to question - that is different than the negative energy type. Hopefully by now you understand that difference, and if there are any of those thought patterns in you, recognize them and start moving them out.

If you are brave enough to step up to your own challenges, let your mind know this and OWN it. Most of the race is laid out in your training. What you do today, tomorrow, next week. These days will have impact for events even next year. Why not work on that psyche today?

I challenge you to pop off those negative thoughts and create only positive flow into the system.

Along these lines, as you set up your races/challenges/events keep in mind how much abuse you are putting your system through and be kind to the mind. Feed the body, rest it when it needs it and do things kind on the heart/system. Look around your daily life and realize how fortunate you are to possess the desire to stay healthy and strong. You are doing this for FUN, for your life and health and as a hobby. To live life to the fullest and take it all in. I am Fit. I am Strong. I am alive. I am living life to the fullest. What is your I am statement?
2009-02-09 1:04 PM
in reply to: #1928382

Kelly -
I can't remember if I had mentioned BOost or Ensure. Also suggest Designer Whey with Protein (it has tons of vits and mins in it that your body needs). I swear by Infinit, but that has worked for me through trial and error and just luckily landing on a good ratio (thanks Mike!).

Others:
Question was asked in PM form about the jump to ultra running. Suggested first is the 50k. It isn't much further than the marathon (especially if the marathon is already achieved) and honestly I would train like a marathon distance. A 50k is way shorter than an iron and this person had done irons and marys, so thinking if the ultra running is the sole focus for an A race then maybe even a 50 miler as the A race and a 50k as part of the training plan. For the 50 miler deciding which one you go for makes a difference. Are you good on hills, flats, cold, heat? Then choose a race that will fit those needs. From there, it is a matter of getting through that first one and doing things in training that will ensure a happy ending/result. Preventing the obvious overuse injuries will hopefully happen through training. Replacing the shoes faster as the mileage adds up. Feel free to ask away with any specific questions. Just know if you aren't a little worried about the distance/intimidated then you probably haven't put a ton of thought into it. Just don't overanalyze things and talk yourself out of something I know you are ready for with past iron finishes. Realistically the 50 miler will take a similiar amount of time as an iron if not less.

Heading out the door to go take in one last day with the positive flow of life - will get back online later in the week :-) Hope all is well with the group and training is going great!
~eileen
2009-02-10 12:41 PM

Elite
San Diego

Good morning all-

Well, I just mailed in my application and money for the triple. The double is already closed! Can you believe it? Actually registering for the race was a big deal for me. I kept putting it off. Now I don't have a choice and feel like this huge weight is off my shoulders. I already have my cabin reserved, now all I have to do is train, right?

Have a great day everybody!

I will

Edited by madcow 2009-02-17 12:42 PM
2009-02-10 4:38 PM

Expert
Longview, TX
Hey Tom, feel free to ask me any questions you may have.  Like Eileen has said, it's all n=1, but I can tell you what did and didn't work for me.  Also, Brett was a GREAT crew chief and I'm sure he wouldn't mind you asking him any questions you might have on that front.  Have fun!  I loved that race.  I wish I could go...to volunteer   Not ready to jump back in and race it though.  Although, I just did my first 100 mile run this past weekend and I feel like perhaps I have grown a little bit as a runner and might not fall so apart on the run like I did when I did it back in 07.  As for swimming, well, I think I am destined to suck and it will always just be an obstacle getting inbetween me and my bike! 
2009-02-11 8:01 AM

Extreme Veteran
Chatham. Ontario

Just discovered your mentor group. Didn't realize there was a group for anything further than an Ironman.
I am signed up for IMLP, IMKY,IMWI and the Virginia Triple. I did IMLP and the Virginia Double in 2007. I also did a marathon 2 weeks after the Double. I seem to recover well.
I have all sorts of questions and would love to be a part of your group. I'm hoping I haven't bitten off more than I can chew this year. I basically took last year off.
Look forward to hearing from you.

2009-02-11 4:15 PM

Elite
San Diego

Thanks Gina, I might have some questions for you and congrats on your 100.

Hey Tony,

Did you get your application in for the triple? I can only imagine how many bike jerseys you will bring for this race.

Edited by madcow 2009-02-17 12:43 PM
2009-02-12 8:51 AM

Extreme Veteran
Chatham. Ontario
Anything to keep my mind busy and my body fresh. (bike jerseys)
2009-02-12 9:42 AM
in reply to: #1954883

well madcow the time is now :-)
On my iPhone keeping it short. Will get to a landline later.
2009-02-12 9:45 AM
in reply to: #1955462

Awesome on the 100! Please jump in and help out. My access to my landline is maybe twice a week for more detailed stuff. These cats need to go in ready to shred :-)

2009-02-12 9:51 AM
in reply to: #1956213

I have several things to help you with that tight combo. I'll need more info from you aluminum- you're going to want to change that name though - al will not hold up under that schedule only carbon will. I need to access a land line later this week - maybe today if I make time.

2009-02-13 9:57 AM

Extreme Veteran
Chatham. Ontario
Just let me know what information you need.  If your wondering about time frames IMLP is July 26, IMKY is Aug 30th, IMWI is Sept 13th, and the Triple is Oct 9th. 
2009-02-22 4:12 PM

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Madcow - Congratulations on taking the plunge and signing up for the triple.

Aluminum - I thought it was overwhelming to think about an ultra. Your summer race schedule is insane. I'll be excited to see how it goes.

Gina - this is late, but congratulations on your 100.

As for me, as I'm building to my longer distance training runs for my mary in April I'm feeling more confident about my ability to do an ultra. I managed to survive an Ironman and my long runs have been feeling very strong so far, so I figure surely I could get myself through an ultra.

I still haven't decided if I will do the 50k in Wisconsin or the 40 miler in North Carolina. I may sign up for both and wait until later this summer to decide.
2009-02-22 4:53 PM
in reply to: #1960579

aluminum - keeping it brief but with your schedule try to figure out what is your most important race you want to go for speed and which ones you will be using for base. The triple is the type of event with that many races it will either be a getting through it (as most do) or it will be the only target race. Realize everyone has different goals. Some take it way too seriously (it should be serious on a certain level for safety reasons) but just know you have your goals for the event.

My only concern with that packed of a schedule is feeling like crap at the start line and being burnt out. Nutrition is of course key and recovery between is even bigger. You will get all kinds of advice anything from do nothing (feel this one is wrong) to train through the irons. Think there is a happy ground between the two. I really like using other races as training time for my key events. Just be smart about which ones you use. If you start to notice your snap disappearing, you might be over reaching and just know to back down and keep your eye on your key events.

I don't know you, and since you are going into some land you have never been to before, you don't know you. But do know to look for all the typical signs of overuse/burnout/ect. You might find yourself in the middle of it, and not even know it. Do realize that at the end of the season is when you can look back at it all and marvel at just what the body is capable of, or be saying, wow, that was pretty foolish, I want more :-), or even, that was really foolish, what was I thinking? None of those are bad, it is nothing more than a fun journey and an adventure to see what you can accomplish. Just be smart enough to know when to say, back down, don't push too hard, and of course the opposite too.

There is more, but I only logged on to get some directions and info today, so no time for the net. I will find some more time later this week. I blew up the engine in my sports car (out of town of course) and have been dealing with those details - happy its the car though and not the body :-)
2009-02-22 4:59 PM
in reply to: #1975909

Miss Kelly :-) hope you are doing good. Signing up for both the 50 k and the 40 miler sounds great (depending on the timing between the two?)! If the 50 k is first will give you a starting ground and intro to ultras, and the 40 miler will be that little carrot for the end of season. Check with both races though and see if either one typically sells out. With most ultras (this is changing as of late) you can typically sign up right before the event. That way you can evalutate if your body is ready without losing funds. Of course having it on the schedule and something to look forward to and committed is not a bad option either.

Signing up is a big deal when you accept something you don't know if your body is ready for yet. I commend you for taking that step :-)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esteil's Group - CLOSED Ultras (iron on up 50k on up) Rss Feed  

of 5