General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run less, run faster?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-12-20 6:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
Subject: Run less, run faster??
Has anyone heard of this book?  A woman at my gym (who happens to be an ironman finisher) was telling me how she went by it and qualified for Boston.  The basic premise is that you run 3 days a week, 1 interval run, 1 tempo run and 1 long run, and then 2-3 other days a week you cross-train.  Sounds perfect for a triathlete who wants to train for a marathon.  Any thoughts?

2008-12-20 6:52 PM
in reply to: #1865171

User image

Veteran
Rockwall, Texas
Subject: RE: Run less, run faster??
so is the book called Run Less, Run Faster? i'm interested too. sorry i dont have any advice
2008-12-20 7:00 PM
in reply to: #1865176

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York

generalee2010 - 2008-12-20 7:52 PM so is the book called Run Less, Run Faster? i'm interested too. sorry i dont have any advice

Yes, Run less, run faster is the title. Sorry!!  I'm not sure who the author is.

2008-12-20 7:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stuart
My wife just used it to train for NYC. She liked it. We had used Higdon plans before but felt the beat you up with to much junk miles. She works full time and we have a baby that was 7months old on race day. The schedule worked out good for her. She felt good going into the race and had good results. Ill use it for my next marathon.
2008-12-20 7:36 PM
in reply to: #1865210

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

There are no such thing as junk miles, that's a load of crap.

Sure, some people use it (think F.I.R.S.T. system), but the reality is that no pure runner that is competitive would even consider it.  Simply not enough volume, too much high intensity, and not enough frequency.  For someone looking for the "easy out" to think they are getting faster??  Sure, perhaps.  But not someone who wants to be competitive.

Personally not a fan at all ........

2008-12-20 8:09 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-12-20 8:25 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
I have the book and there are also free programs on the site. I think the "run less" portion is relative because I think if you added up the weekly mileage it would be the same as a Higdon or other online "standard" program. The only difference is that you do the miles in only three days a week as opposed to four. For instance, the FIRST beginner program has you running 8 miles on your long run during the first week. Most other beginner programs start you out at a long run of 4 or 5 miles at most. So, if you're not up to being able to run 8 miles all at once you need to work up to that. The shorter runs are done at a higher intensity and there's even interval training. A lot of people say not to do speed work until you build a base, but I don't see a problem with adding speed work right away. If nothing else, it adds variety to training. The two cross-training days are not "optional" but required. You can do any aerobic activity you want on these days, and if you want to go run some junk miles instead of cross-training then you can do that as well.

The program is not a shortcut at all; it's hard work.

http://www.furman.edu/first/fmtp.htm
2008-12-20 9:01 PM

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
quantity= quality when it comes to endurance sports.
2008-12-20 9:12 PM

Expert
Wellington, North Island
I used the F.I.R.S.T. program (same 3 day a week plan) for the first time last year and really liked it. I just can't do the high mileage. I get overtrained and injured. I had really good luck with the training plan, setting multiple PRs and having my strongest running season I can remember and no injuries.

That said, I've been running for 20 years, I run year round and keep up my base during the winter, I had five standalone marathons under my belt before starting the program, and I often modified the long run distances and mid-week intensities to better meet my needs. All of these things probably had a lot to do with how I responded to that plan.

IMHO, if you're newer to running or newer to running long, I think you'd be better off doing more easy miles, working on good running form, and building your endurance base. I also think if you're going to continue to make triathlons a priority, it's going to be tough to put in all the higher intensity miles the program calls for. Your bike in particular will suffer because you'll almost always be in run recovery mode when you're on the bike.
2008-12-20 9:15 PM

Expert
St. Louis
it is also kown as the "run less, run slower" method.  BTW its not less, it just running more each time you run.
2008-12-20 9:20 PM
in reply to: #1865367

New Haven, CT

tjfry - 2008-12-20 10:01 PM quantity= quality when it comes to endurance sports.

I'd take issue with that.  Working out when sick, injured or too tired, etc. is only likely to lead to more sicknes or exhaustion. Just because you have a 10 miler on the schedule and you were up all night working or taking care of a sick kid doesn't mean doing the wrkout will be helpful.  In fact, it is likely to be harmful and qualify as "junk miles".... personal example: last month I pushed the last 3 miles of a 12 mile run and ended up was a damn sore achilles which shut me down for 3 days.  If I had stopped at mile 9, when I felt fine, it would have been better, but I wanted to make my goal for the week. 

2008-12-20 9:32 PM
in reply to: #1865400

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
jsklarz - 2008-12-20 9:20 PM

tjfry - 2008-12-20 10:01 PM quantity= quality when it comes to endurance sports.

I'd take issue with that.  Working out when sick, injured or too tired, etc. is only likely to lead to more sicknes or exhaustion. Just because you have a 10 miler on the schedule and you were up all night working or taking care of a sick kid doesn't mean doing the wrkout will be helpful.  In fact, it is likely to be harmful and qualify as "junk miles".... personal example: last month I pushed the last 3 miles of a 12 mile run and ended up was a damn sore achilles which shut me down for 3 days.  If I had stopped at mile 9, when I felt fine, it would have been better, but I wanted to make my goal for the week. 

Sorry. When you're healthy, quantity = quality. Making your weekly mileage at all costs doesn't fit into this equation. That's just type "a" behavior, and I have a tight hamstring for doing the same thing.

Edited by tjfry 2008-12-20 9:36 PM
2008-12-21 4:39 PM

Fishers, IN
I agree that there are no junk miles, however I believe most of the sub lactate threshold (some might call junk) runs can easily be substituted with some other cardio workout/cross training.  You've described the three key types of training that almost every good running program entails.  The FIRST program similarly includes those workouts.  It has always looked to me like the Furman group wanted to be unique and took a page from a triathlon schedule and scratched out the swim/bike and wrote in cross train instead so that they could call it a "new program".  Building up the long run is key.  If you want to run a marathon, you can do it in a number of different ways.  If you want to run one fast, you will need to run lots. 
2008-12-21 4:48 PM

Master

I strongly agree with the no-junk miles approach to running.

I am an excellent example of how hi-intensity low mileage versus low intensity big mileage works out. 

I was a subaverage but hardworking non-scoring HS x-country team member, running the 5k in 20:30PR during my senior year. I ran about 30 miles per week, and did speedwork 2x/wk with the team. On many (most?) runs, I tried to kill myself with intensity, running as fast as I could. I kept up a similar (slightly less) intense regimen of 30-35mpw for 10 more years after that, and my 5k PR dropped to 20:05 over that decade. I assumed that was my "genetic limit" since every book seems to say that VO2 is genetically determined and peaks after 6 weeks (I agree).

However, I grossly underestimated the ability of pure aerobic (nonVO2) ability to add to ability. I dropped 5k racing for a year at age 31 thinking there was no possible way to improve, and took up marathon training, thinking my 5k time would not improve (possibly worsen). Mileage went from 35 to 55 then to 70 over the next 1.5 years, mostly run at slow easy paces, and 1 hard tempo or sprint session per week. Lots and lots of what would be called "junk miles" if you consider conversational easy pace junk miles.

My 5k PR dropped from 20:05 to 18:20 in 1.5 years on the hi-mileage program, and this was with NO dedicated 5k training. My race finishes went from upper 30% to upper 2%, and I became a regular AG contender for the first time in my life.

This experience was eye-opening, and I suspect a similar approach would work for swimming and cycling. Note as well that this approach for running is also used by elites - I followed Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning program.

Bottom line - as long as you are not running to the point where you're injuring yourself, you will be improving your aerobic base with more miles. You CANNOT substitute hi-intensity work for these big miles as well - it is a different physiology. So give up hopes of running 30 miles at super-hi intensity to get the same effect as running 70 slow ones (with 5-6 fast ones thrown in.)

PS - The FIRST method of low-mileage does work for some people to run great marathons. These folks are usually experienced runners with light body frames and good genetic ability. A very common question on running boards asked by 80+% of people who do FIRST is something along the lines of "I run a 20:00 5k, so why is my marathon nearly 5 hours after doing the FIRST program?" Getting better at running requires more running. I interestingly would still recommend FIRST for those who really want to run only 3 days/wk yet still would like to finish a marathon. I would not recommend it for those shooting for a PR (or BQ).

Edited by agarose2000 2008-12-21 4:52 PM
2008-12-21 4:50 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-12-21 5:05 PM

Extreme Veteran
OKC
I like the programs. It's definitely hard work, and I personally wouldn't/couldn't do anything over easy/steady intensity on the crosstraining days. You might not win the thing, but you might just set a PB... You won't know for sure unless you try it.

2008-12-21 5:19 PM

I am certainly no expert and a worse than average runner, but I think different people respond to different schedules differently.  I have a friend that runs ultras (50K, 100K) and runs 3 days a week like that.  I've tried 3 /week and 5+/week, and found that I got injured less often the more consitently I ran.
2008-12-21 5:20 PM

Veteran
This does work.  When I was training for powerman I did 1 interval per week with biking and running and while i wont say exactly how I train this is part of it and I see new time results every few weeks.  Same ole same ole is not the way to go.
2008-12-21 7:10 PM

Expert
Southeast

Well, there are several issues floating around here:

1.  Are there 'junk miles'?  Not really, if the term means something like 'not particularly long or particularly intense runs', which is how it is often used.  There are runs that were less than optimal for you at that time because the pace or distance or structure was somehow wrong, for you, at that particular time.  That doesn't make runs of that type 'junk', but only 'poorly chosen at that time'.  Moreover, logging lots of 'vanilla' miles is a proven recipe for success.

2.  Can you finish a marathon on 3 runs a week?  Sure.

3.  Is running 3x a week the best way to get fast? I'm not going to venture a blanket statement here, but I will venture to say that the person for whom 3x/week is the best way to get fast is at best extremely rare, and probably has some very unusual issue that makes this the best way to train.

4.  Can you substitute 'junk miles' with cross-training and get the same benefit?  Not at all.  You can get some of the benefits.  Your heart gets a workout, for example.  But even some cardio-vascular benefits (such as increased density of capillaries in the the muscules that are used for running) are achievable best by running.  And many other benefits are completely absent when you cross-train, for example, increased strength in the soft non-muscular tissues.  In fact, if you think that a hour on the elliptical can be substituted for running an hour (or even 30 minutes) then you are setting yourself up for injury, if you then train your running as if you had done the run instead of the cross-training.  What worries me about these programs is that they seem to operate on that assumption.

5.  Will running 3x/week relatively long and/or intensely lead to injury?  Not necessarily, but I think that you are increasing the probability of injury by training that way.

Just my 5c (a penny per thought...).

Edited by mdickson68 2008-12-21 7:12 PM
2008-12-21 7:17 PM
in reply to: #1866198

Extreme Veteran
Kansas City, MO

benc84 - 2008-12-21 5:20 PM This does work.  When I was training for powerman I did 1 interval per week with biking and running and while i wont say exactly how I train this is part of it and I see new time results every few weeks.  Same ole same ole is not the way to go.

Really?  Why wouldn't you share your training methods with us?  Just curious....

2008-12-21 7:34 PM

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Sorry- DP

Edited by runnergirl 2008-12-21 7:40 PM

2008-12-21 7:34 PM

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

This is my 2nd time around using the First to Finish Marathon Training Plan.  I love it and don't have any complaints.  And for some reason, it's worked really well for me.  I personally don't think that a lot of volume works for everyone.  It hasn't worked for me so that's why I decided this year to change things up.

Last year I ran 1,435 miles and didn't notice a huge difference in my running.  I ran alot- that's all I did, and I didn't shave a lot of time off from my spring to fall marathon- in fact, my fall marathon was only a few secs faster than my spring marathon.  Since I saw little improvements with my running I decided to try something different and focus not so much on volume, but the quality of my runs. 

I have gotten substainally faster this year and feel so much stronger with my running it's amazing.  In the past I've followed HR based plans that had me running 5-6 times a week.  I did ok on those plans, but didn't get a lot faster.  I have seen really good results when switching to the First to Finish Plan.  I wouldn't recommend it for beginners, but if you have a solid running base and are looking for something different, I highly recommend it.

I did however tweek the plan a little bit the 2nd time around, upping my long run distances to over 20.  I know most running literature does not recommend this, but I've followed text books all along and no matter what I do it doesn't seem to make a difference.  So I'm giving this approach a shot.  I'll know in a few weeks after running Houston if it was wise or not.  I have a solid running base, and I'm about to top that this year so I'm not too worried about injuries and taking too long to recover since I do havea solid base.

Like I've said before, the plan has worked for me and everyone responds differently to plans.  This is my favorite plan and I would use it again for any future marathons.  Try it and see if it works for you.  It may or may not, but you won't know unless you try it.

**One point to add:  if you follow this plan it's really important to cross train.  Since you are running less per week you need to supplement your running with cross training.  Running less isn't necessarily the easy way out if you add to the plan with biking.  And I've incorporated weights in twice a week and the biking and weights have really helped with increasing my leg strength.  And I did make sure to get in long runs over summer time (I think I went up 16 miles) to make sure that my long run base was somewhat decent going into the plan.  

p.s.  I do believe in junk miles    And that weight training can be beneficial to running

Edited by runnergirl 2008-12-21 7:42 PM
2008-12-21 7:41 PM

Master
Runnergirl - you should try the Pfitzinger programs - I suspect you'd be shocked with how much fast you'd get with good mileage and occasional speedwork given your running experience. 
2008-12-21 7:45 PM
in reply to: #1866378

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

agarose2000 - 2008-12-21 8:41 PM Runnergirl - you should try the Pfitzinger programs - I suspect you'd be shocked with how much fast you'd get with good mileage and occasional speedwork given your running experience. 

I have the book and have read it.  What's interesting is that my husband used a Pfitziner plan for the same time I was using FIRST to FINISH for the same marathon.  Interestingly enough, he shaved off the same amount of time from his previous marathon time (using the 55 miles/week plan) as I did running 3x a week on the FIRST plan 

BTW- the FIRST plan does have intense speedwork once a week and a tempo run.  So I am getting in some awesome workouts to get faster.

2008-12-21 8:42 PM
in reply to: #1866143

Fishers, IN

I used to believe that running specificity was pretty much everything and that junk miles were better than cross training.  A little over a year ago I ran a marathon PR off of a high mileage program where I hit over 100 miles 6 weeks straight (I have always felt less talented than many so have often overcompensated through effort so my PR isn't much considering how much I trained).  Not all of that mileage was "junk" either.  I think I slightly underperformed in that marathon for a number of reasons.  This fall, off of tri training, I ran a half marathon PR on a somewhat hilly course with an average mileage of 35 miles per week for the preceding six weeks prior to taper, but most runs had some quality in them.  By McMillan's calculator, the race off of 100mpw was equivalent to the one off of 35 mpw!  I have revised my thinking about the best way for me to train for running and the use of my time.

I think there are no absolutes, whatever enables you to get to the starting line the fittest without injury is the best method.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run less, run faster?? Rss Feed  

of 3