of 5

2009-02-25 2:28 PM
in reply to: #1969851

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Bike Questions
vmjimcross - 2009-02-18 11:50 PM

Hi Eric:

I have been absent for a while, but still on track to do a sprint tri on Memorial Day.  I picked up a Jamis Ventura Sport online.  It's a starter, but it looks a lot faster than my old mountain bike and I think I'll have it for a long time.

I picked up a set of Crank Brothers Egg Beaters with a pair of mountain bike shoes - they were a good deal - and I'm wondering if the egg beaters  were a good choice.  Do you think they'll do a good job powering me down the road?

Jim

Hey Jim,

The eggbeaters are great, especially for the type of riding and training done for Triathlon. Bike racing benefits more from the SPD type of pedal/cleat combo since hard stand up sprinting is part of the game. Its easier to blow out of the eggbeaters which is not a good thing during a violent sprint.

Tri cycling doesn't involve hefty sprint-like accelerations. Its more about steady, consistent speed. Eggbeaters are also much easier to deal with when starting and stopping a lot on rides...

Good luck with the new ride.

Eric J

2009-02-25 2:38 PM
in reply to: #1967937

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: COURAGE'S GROUP- CLOSED...
Elliot - 2009-02-18 7:28 AM

Been a while since I've posted.  A few weeks ago, I just fell apart and gave myself a week totally off from training -- just tried to walk every day -- huge project at work coming to a head, stuff with kids, aging parents, you know, that thing called "life" that keeps intruding on training . . . .anyway, so I'm back on track.  I need some ideas for mixing things up.  I'm doing a training program that emphasizes the run, but it just gives me amounts of time to swim/bike/run, not drills or intevals.  I try on my own to mix it up -- like yesterday, I did an "all hills" run, and I throw in 50 meter and 100 meter intervals in the pool, but I just need some more structure for that.  Suggestions?  It's tough to find hills on the road since south Jersey is flat as a pancake.

Also, any suggestions for building leg strength and leg muscle endurance?  I've had 2 surgeries on my right knee and thus don't have much cartilege there, so I need to be really careful in terms of impact.  Per an earlier post, I tried jumping up and down on a bench and that really aggravated my knees.  Squats are ok, lunges are questionable.  Ideas?

Lastly, I've been dropping weight gradually by plan -- I've gone from 195 to 180 over the last 10 weeks (doing Weight Watchers) and I have another 10 - 15 pounds to go.  Weight Watchers has a lot of flexibility -- it's not eat this much protein, thus much fat, etc.  What would your suggestion be as to amount of protein per day?  I don't think I get enough -- I'm eating large amounts of veggies and whole grain, but almost zero cheese, no red meat, a little chicken/fish, lots of soy and legumes.

Thanks, Elliot

Elliot hi-

Let's address the leg issue first. If you have access to a gym you may want to add in Leg Extensiona, that's when you sit on the machine/bench and raise the weight with your legs as you extend straight out from the knee. Great for the quads and insertion points around the knee with no impact.

Also look into using a Smith Machine so you have lateral support with the machine locking you into one vertical plane.

Wrap your knees whenever you are working out your legs. Wraps are available at any sports store.

Climb hills on the bike, A LOT! Put a load of pennies in your water bottle to add weight.

As to leg endurance that comes into how your running/cycling. Your training should include Z1/2 long runs/rides that will build a base of endurance. You need to also work at threshold in order to push your lactate threshold  up so you can ride harder, longer.

You can search the net for varied spin and run sessions but get outside as much as you can...

Eric J

2009-02-25 4:19 PM
in reply to: #1865380

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hey Eric (and everyone else),

Just updating. Getting back to more consistant workouts after being sick for a while. Feeling good about most thing and reminding myself why I love riding in the rain. My swim has been a little off lately as I am trying to fix my hand entrance/catch (I was reaching to far forward I found out and so I am working on Entering closer to my head at more of an Angle than I was doing.) I know once I get it worked out and consistant it will be better. It feels better when I am getting it right but working on it is hard. any pointers or good drills for that? (and if it matters, my elbows are plenty high Laughing  Also been having trouble staying hydrated enough so I end up cramping occasionally, like last night in the pool. that definately puts a damper on my workouts. It could also be the lack of eating bananas lately too...hmmm anyway things seem ok!

Justin

2009-02-25 11:28 PM

User image

Dallas Oregon
Subject: Any opinions on swim fins?

Hi Everyone:

I could use some advice on swim fins.  I was able to try some Zoomers at the pool today.   I did a few lengths with them and I thought they were clunky. I don't really need them for propulsion, but I can see where the added resistance would help my leg strength.

Any other benefits to fins that I should consider?

Thanks,

Jim 

2009-02-26 11:34 AM

User image

Expert
Jim- Check out this link. Easier than me typing it all out. Lots of great info... http://www.forcefin.com/FF_PAGES/Truth_Swim2.html#fitness Eric J

Edited by Courage 2009-02-26 11:35 AM
2009-02-26 3:04 PM

New user

Edgewater, Maryland

Just looked at those Force Fins - look great but the price is more in line with buying a fancy GPS unit or something. I'll have to pass on these...

(I'd rather spend money like that on things like my Garmin 705 Smile - ok, I already did)

2009-02-26 4:54 PM
in reply to: #1984105

User image

Expert
danielbailey - 2009-02-26 3:04 PM

Just looked at those Force Fins - look great but the price is more in line with buying a fancy GPS unit or something. I'll have to pass on these...

(I'd rather spend money like that on things like my Garmin 705 Smile - ok, I already did)

lol... I posted that more for the information on the "why" of using fins rather than buying these in particular...

Eric J

2009-02-27 8:10 PM
in reply to: #1981675

User image

Dallas Oregon
Subject: RE: Bike Questions

Hi Eric:

Thanks for the insight on the egg beaters.  They are working out well.  I went for a 15 mile ride today, and I was clipped into only one part of the time to avoid falling.  It's getting easier to clip and unclip.  The new bike is fast - big improvement over a mountain bike.

Jim 

2009-03-04 10:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi Eric,

Just thought I would share a personal milepost. I swam my first straight mile last night, I did not intend to when I set out but it just worked out that way.

Justin

2009-03-05 12:28 AM
in reply to: #1996498

User image

Dallas Oregon

Congratulations Justin!  That is a landmark.

Jim 

2009-03-12 8:40 PM
in reply to: #1981697

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ

Been a while since I've posted.  Training is good -- emphasizing the run.  Did a great 5 1/4 miler yesterday pulling the dog along!  Had my first ride on the road this spring this past Sunday -- did 25 miles with 4 buddies and stayed at the front of the pack (last year, it was a struggle to keep up).  Weight loss is coming along.  I'm boosting my low fat proteins, cutting carbs in the bread family, boosting veggies a lot!  I'm also adding in push-ups -- 3 sets of 10 every other day, just to build overall upper body strength.

After a lot of ridiculous flip/flopping and hand-wringing about my summer race schedule, I finally took the plunge and committed.  The Ironclad was sold out (a relief actually), and so I'm planning on doing the Sok & Dok Sprint (by Greenbrook Racing -- a really good, hardcore, low glitz, high quality outfit) and the Northeast Sprint (by CGI -- high glitz but backed up with outstanding planning, logistics, and creature comforts).  For me, 2 races is a season . . .

How much are folks doing swim/bike or bike/run combos?  I'm going to do a 12-15 mile ride followed by a 3-4 mile run.  Thoughts?

2009-03-13 9:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I do not do to many bricks now, as it gets closer to june I will head down to my local lake park and do some swim/bike and bike/run bricks just to get the hang of transitions and how to move off of the swim/bike legs. Most of my work has been focused on building volume and NOT being sick. I need to focus the most on swim technique/speed and bike endurance right now. I could probably do my olympic at this point but not very fast and it would hurt. I figure if it is going to hurt I had at least better earn it.    

Push ups are great to add in. I also do pull ups when I can.

2009-03-14 1:05 PM
in reply to: #1996498

User image

Expert
bel83 - 2009-03-04 10:31 AM

Hi Eric,

Just thought I would share a personal milepost. I swam my first straight mile last night, I did not intend to when I set out but it just worked out that way.

Justin

Hi guys, just back from Florida. Justin that's great! Seems that many leaps happen by accident or when we're not paying attention to being too secure...

Great job! How did you feel physically afterwards?

Eric J

2009-03-16 9:05 AM
in reply to: #1982706

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
Subject: RE: Any opinions on swim fins?
Can someone explain the benefits of the mini fins?
2009-03-16 9:06 AM

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
Also, I'm thinking of buying a one-piece tri-suit -- anyone recommend for/against those suits?  Also, if I wear a tri-suit, do they go under a wet suit?
2009-03-16 3:45 PM
in reply to: #2017712

User image

Extreme Veteran
Courage - 2009-03-14 11:05 AM

Hi Eric,

Justin

Hi guys, just back from Florida. Justin that's great! Seems that many leaps happen by accident or when we're not paying attention to being too secure...

Eric J

I felt fine afterwards, Did my normal stretching of arms, shoulders, back, and calves before getting out of the pool and felt fine. No issues at. My lats (I think that was the right muscle group) were slightly sore the next day but not really bad at all.

Now I just need to work on not gettin sick so much that my weekends are spend on the couch/in bed.

2009-03-18 4:01 PM
in reply to: #2020236

User image

Expert

Elliot - 2009-03-16 9:06 AM Also, I'm thinking of buying a one-piece tri-suit -- anyone recommend for/against those suits?  Also, if I wear a tri-suit, do they go under a wet suit?

I've tried both and seem happier with a 2 piece. Its similar to the one piece tri suit in fit but is a seperate top and bottom. Yes, you wear it under your wetsuit.

In a long race a single piece tri suit may gain you some small amount of time on the bike as they are a bit more aero...

Eric J

2009-03-18 4:03 PM
in reply to: #2021321

User image

Expert
bel83 - 2009-03-16 3:45 PM
Courage - 2009-03-14 11:05 AM

Hi Eric,

Justin

Eric J

I felt fine afterwards, Did my normal stretching of arms, shoulders, back, and calves before getting out of the pool and felt fine. No issues at. My lats (I think that was the right muscle group) were slightly sore the next day but not really bad at all.

Now I just need to work on not gettin sick so much that my weekends are spend on the couch/in bed.

If you had some soreness in the lats then you're doing the right thing. When you feel excessively sore in the delts then you better check your form...;-)

Eric J

2009-03-25 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2026192

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hey Eric Et Al,

Just checking in. working out is going well. now that the weather is slightly better I can commute on my bike more without worrying about some douche not paying attention and hitting me because they did not see my 4-7 blinking and steady lights. Anyway that will help my overall bike miles but I still need to work on getting in long bike rides on Saturdays and a longer run on Sundays. All in all it is still feeling ok though I have not been meeting my training goals yet 

2009-03-26 6:58 AM

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ

1st Brick of the season!  I did my first brick of the season the other day -- 15 miles on the bike (ok, well it was on my trainer but I set up outside and had a genuine headwind while not moving foward!), hop off and did a crazy fast 5k (8:15/mile)!  Felt like I was going to wretch afterwards, but actually recovered pretty quickly and felt good -- lots of ice on the knees and stretching. 

The best part is seeing real tangible results of training. Smile

I am getting bored however, since my training program is just time-based -- "x" minutes running, "y" minutes in the pool la-de-dah . . . . I picked that program because it was long-term, emphasized run, and manageable from a time perspective, but I think I need variety.  I'm going to try working intensively on the bike and building leg strength/endurance.  Here's a great leg excercise a physical therapist friend taught me:  set up a step aerobics step (1 or 2 risers), stand all the way on the left edge on your right foot with your left foot off the step, then step the left foot straight back and drop to a lunge, don't let your right knee go beyond your right ankle, then straighten up using just your right leg, pause to balance and repeat, then move to the other end of the step and do a set on the left leg.  It's really powerful!

Weight loss is going so-so -- Weight Watchers for Men is great but you really have to work at it and it's tough being so totally programmed -- training, work, and food too -- but I've dropped 16 pounds over 3 1/2 months so it's working . . . .

Happy spring!! 

2009-03-26 9:22 AM

User image

Expert

Elliot- Another great exercise to build leg and core strength using the step is a Muy Thai step up kick.

Step onto the platform with your right foot and raise your left leg high keeping the knee at a right angle, then step down and repeat. Do a set of 10-15 then repeat with the other side. Keep your core tight through the movement....

Eric J

2009-03-30 10:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

2 hour ride this weekend. Finally. it was a good workout and a good time. Beautiful weather out. Now if I can only find routes in my area that don't stop lights/signs that I can ride on from home it would be so much better! I do not mind the hills that much as I am working on gearing down and spinning up them and then gearing back up at the top to keep my cadence close to the same the whole time. Also working on not getting out of the saddle to climb and I found I was able to overtake a lot of cyclists doing that. Now if only I could actually get faster than what I am averaging...

2009-04-07 10:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey Everyone,

Just checking in again. Getting some great workout in here. swimming could still use some help but I think that will have to wait till I can get one on one lessons with a coach/trainer or find a masters class I can participate in.  My running so going well though I definately need to work more on my stretching post run and the day after a run. Should be getting a HRM moniter in the next few weeks which could either really help or really hinder my training, hard to say at this point what the feedback would do. Either way I am finally starting to feel like I might be really ready to enjoy my Oly on June 20th.
2009-05-13 8:25 AM

New user

Edgewater, Maryland
Well everyone, I completed the Oklahoma City Marathon a few weeks ago - 5:23 - not the time I had hoped, but it was really windy, gusts up to 35 mph and a steady wind of 10-20 mph. The race was well organized, lots of water stops etc.

Only problem is that I think I now have plantar faciitis - it wasn't bad during the race, but after it wasn't so great. It was getting better, but then I reinjured it last week with a physical fitness test for the military; it got better, then I reinjured it yesterday crossing a street and a car was bearing down fast on my so I tried to run and I took 1 step and it hurt like crazy again - it's better today but I still walk with a bit of a limp.

I'm trying to take it really easy - any other suggestions? Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » COURAGE'S GROUP- CLOSED... Rss Feed  

of 5