General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2009-06-14 9:28 PM
in reply to: #2216814

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-06-14 10:44 PM
in reply to: #1869406

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon : Official Thread

I PRed at 5:21:06, but I wasn't very happy while doing it.  Suffered most of the run in the heat.  I also missed the sno-cones! :-)  I screwed up my nutrition plan royally.  Got stung my a jellyfish on my lips during the swim, which was interesting for sure.

A friend of mine got a Kona slot and said "no" because it's too expensive!  Ugh, hard to imagine passing up such a thing.

Edited by kalalau 2009-06-14 10:45 PM
2009-06-15 6:26 AM
in reply to: #2217175

2009-06-15 6:41 AM
in reply to: #2216878

2009-06-15 6:53 AM
in reply to: #2217482

Bob
Binghamton, NY

PennState - 2009-06-15 7:26 AM Hey Aaron, Daremo actually smoked you on the bike. Just sayin'

I don't know, I think Jeep pulled it off by a blazing .05 sec!! This will be the talk of BT for quite some time!

It was great seeing some BTers down there this weekend. It really was a great day for racing.

Fred, you got me this week but I think I'll give you a run for your money at IMLP. Fantastic run BTW!!!

2009-06-15 1:54 PM

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Yeah, he got me by :05 on the bike.  I had no speedometer or cadence and was totally going by feel.  I thought I was faster than that, but my mathematics capabilities were all f'ed up when we came into transition.  I thought for sure I was around 2:23-ish based on how I subtracted from the clock.  Oh well.

Even though I never had any sort of labored breathing or high HR, I still went to hard on the bike for my fitness level (shocker) which left nothing in the tank for the run.  And I was even holding back some to what I would normally do just to make sure I had some gass left for the run.

But I had a really good swim (for me) with a 38:50 and I wanted to be under 40.  And my realistic goal was under 2:30 for the bike, which I did.  I just had nothing left for the run.  Kind of knew that was coming, so not a big deal and never got "down" or upset on the run.  More of "Well, this is how it's gonna be, so be it."

It was great to meet some BT'ers who I've been looking forward for years.  You guys rock and it was a pleasure to meet you.

And I didn't check, but I bet I have a big azz Aaron hand print from where he slapped my azz when he went by me at the end of the run.

Edit:  But I did come to the reality check on my way home (while my kidneys were screaming at me and I was feelign like throwing up) that I really don't enjoy long stuff that much.  I am much more successful at the shorter stuff and I'm good at sustained really hard efforts over the short term.  So unless something drastic happens, I'm not signing up for any more long course races until I have the time to REALLY train for them.  They just aren't enjoyable to me (says the guy who has two marathons two weeks apart in October - that was f-cking stupid of me ...)

Edited by Daremo 2009-06-15 1:58 PM

2009-06-15 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2217529

2009-06-15 2:41 PM

Veteran
Alexandria, VA
Great day and great job everyone. Really cool to read all of your stories. For a first HIM, I had a blast and am amazingly able to walk pretty well today. I credit the guy who was handing out electrolyte tablets before the race and swearing how good they were. Reminded me of another time at a Dead show when people were doing something eerily similar...

I got caught in some jellies during the swim, had one friend crash his bike and still finish the race, and another friend cut his knee up pretty bad on the Slip-n-Slide at mile 11 of the run. Great stories to tell. I thought my best-case time would be 5:33 and came in at 5:21:31, so I couldn't be more pleased. Just need to work on bike speed in the next year.

Sorry I didn't see anyone, as I was offline since Friday. Keep up the good work and have fun this season.
2009-06-15 4:12 PM

Expert
Hatboro, PA
Good job everyone!  I finished the swim and then DNF'ed, as planned.  I changed into some dry clothes and started cheering everyone on.  I was on the sidelines in time to see the pros transition from bike to run.  They are so quick!!  I was very impressed by how laid back the pros were after the race.  They just walked around with everyone else.  I was able to tell Terenzo "congratulations" which was awesome for me.  I was very impressed with him at the pro forum.

I never met up with any of the BT'ers, so I didn't know who anyone was to cheer you on specifically, but I was definitely out there cheering for everyone I could.  I had so much fun cheering for everyone that now I have thoughts of driving to Lake Placid just to volunteer and spectate.
2009-06-15 5:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I highly recommend going to Lake Placid to spectate and volunteer.  But, it is really hard not to sign up that next day for next year's race, seeing what you saw, and knowing that the entry is highly sought after.

2009-06-15 5:20 PM
in reply to: #2217529

2009-06-15 5:22 PM
in reply to: #2218997

Edited by PennState 2009-06-15 5:22 PM
2009-06-15 10:12 PM
in reply to: #2218971

Expert
Daremo - Edit:  But I did come to the reality check on my way home (while my kidneys were screaming at me and I was feelign like throwing up) that I really don't enjoy long stuff that much.  I am much more successful at the shorter stuff and I'm good at sustained really hard efforts over the short term.  So unless something drastic happens, I'm not signing up for any more long course races until I have the time to REALLY train for them.  They just aren't enjoyable to me (says the guy who has two marathons two weeks apart in October - that was f-cking stupid of me ...)

I do understand that you don't have all that much time to train as you do have more important things in your life (ie your wife and your 3 very-well behaved kids). 

But having seen enough of your struggles on the run at Eagleman , there are also some pacing issues as well (even undertrained,you still shouldn't have been more than 12 minutes slower than me on the run, especially when I had what I thought was a solid, but not my best run.  And I of course beat you on the swim but we both knew that would happen   Could that particular race just be your nemesis?

When I saw you at the beginning (for me) on hell's road (you didn't get experience that joy last year on that unfinished road) and then saw Aaron a bit later further up it, I'm guessing there was a least 1/3 of a mile between when I saw you two.
2009-06-16 10:15 AM

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
No, it is long races in general.  I've had one good E-Man out of 4.

Both my IM's sucked (in the overall sense).

And out of my 9 marathon attempts, I've finished 7 .... with 3 of those walking (including both times at Boston).  Oddly enough, my track record at marathons is much better than long distance tris (4 successful and 2 BQ times).

Sure, there is a pacing issue because I enjoy the bike and that is where I have the most fun and can do the best.  Could I have sat up and done a super easy 2:45 Sunday ride??  Of course, that would have been a joke!  But what is the point???  I'm there to race and push myself.  I take the risk of putting up a decent time and seeing where things stand afterward.

In a shorter race where I can be top 5% on the bike I can back that up with top 10% on the run I'm not be "penalized" for going to hard on the bike.  In longer races that doesn't happen because when your muscles are worn out and lock up, you simply can't run anymore.  It is physically impossible no matter how much will you have.

I'm lucky if I can get 6 - 8 hours in a week.  That is simply not enough to support a successful training regimen to do longer events.  I survived LP by doing a 6 week crash course of 10 - 15 hour weeks with most of that time on the bike.  Racing like that is simply not enjoyable.  If you can't go into an event prepared (physically or mentally), then I really am becoming of the mindset that you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.  This is why I will not sign up for any longer stuff next year.  Even though I've been doing 2 marathons a year for the past few years, I don't think I even want to do that next year.

This year has been more short and fast and I can recover from those quickly and turn around and do well in the next one.  I've had 2 top ten overalls this year and a top 10% at Columbia on little real training in shorter tris and AG placings in every running race I've done.  I can blast through those and suck it up.  But longer stuff just ain't my bag.

Edited by Daremo 2009-06-16 10:22 AM
2009-06-16 10:41 PM
in reply to: #2219132

New user

I was that friend that crashed at 40 miles and got pretty ripped up (then hit the wind)
Overall it was a first HIM for me and I finished. Things went poorly along the way. Jellyfish on the arm, fell off the bike (it is dumb to try and get back onto the road unless you have a good angle), and twisted my right ankle on the run while showing my ripped up elbow to a friend.

Need to lose weight and train more for the run (and swim)

2009-06-17 9:12 AM

I missed my 5:15 goal by just under 10 mins -- finished with a 5:24:25.  Decent swim (was lucky not to see a single jelly fish) ; strong bike ; good first 3 miles and last 3 miles on the run -- but the middle 7 involved some walking and a port-a-potty stop.  I got really nauseous on the run ... I think one of my nutrition aides are not agreeing with me.

Had an interesting experience on the Bike...  the motorcyle officials gave a guy in front of me a "Crossing the yellow Line" penalty when he passed a pack of people blocking ; then he gave me a "Blocking Penalty" when I zoomed past 20 straight people who were going much slower" ... then I warned a guy in front of me they were giving out lots of Penalties and no kidding, 10 mins later the motorcylcle zoomed up on him and nailed him with a Blocking Penalty.  When I stopped at the Penalty Tent there were around 15 guys there!!  I saw the Officials constantly from miles 10 to 40 -- it sucked.  They even yelled out to one guy, who was doing absolutely nothing wrong, "You got one Penalty already.  One more and your done, pulled off the course and it's Game Over!"   I was shocked.  He yelled this really loud too.  Oh, and then on the run one guy as he was passing me (who I recognized from the bike) said the same Psycho Official gave him a penalty for "Drafting" behind me!!  I love how they sent out all these statistically slower waves in front of us, and then gave everybody Drafting and Blocking penalties.  It was so congested at a few points that it was impossible not to draft, impossible not to Block, and if you wanted to go around you had to cross the line.  A few times bikes were three and four deep and there were several dozen bikes in front of you and behind you.  And then to boot you have an Official handing out Penalties like he's getting paid for each one he hands out.   

We have some serious winds here on Long Island I guess cause I didn't think except for a couple times that the headwinds were that bad.  I also didn't think it was really that hot.  I kept thinking of how cool it would have felt to the people who ran it last year! 

Despite the one overzealous Official, I'm already pretty certain I'm signing up for next year.

Edited by Dream Chaser 2009-06-17 9:27 AM

2009-06-17 9:28 AM

2009-06-17 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2223833

Don't get me wrong, I probably was "Blocking" but it was hard not to -- and the crazy Official and congested course amazingly didn't sour my Race Experience.  I'm not bitter.  I'm powerless over things like that so I just let it Roll off my back. 

I had a great time and learned a lot.  I'm probably going to find that early bird paper the hotel gave me and book a room for next year.  Let me know in August if you sign up again.  Once I get this nutrition thing figured out and I log a few thousand more miles on the bike, I'll be ready to shoot for a sub 5:15 ... I'm ready to do the work starting now to get ready for Eagleman 2010.  I'm crazy like that

2009-06-17 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2223934

2009-06-17 2:56 PM

Regular
Pictures are up!

(Eagleman10.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Eagleman10.jpg (20KB - 74 downloads)
2009-06-18 7:42 AM

Cool pic! 

Am I the only person who still has his EagleMan wristband on??

2009-06-18 10:37 AM
in reply to: #2226060

Extreme Veteran
Glen Burnie, MD
Dream Chaser - 2009-06-18 8:42 AM

Cool pic! 

LOL!  I wanted to keep mine on at least through Monday but I was tormented by some people (I won't name any names here....) and told that I had to take it off!

I say rock on with your fashion accessory and keep wearing it with pride

Edited by dolelicious 2009-06-18 10:39 AM
2009-06-18 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2226617

dolelicious - 2009-06-18 11:37 AM
Dream Chaser - 2009-06-18 8:42 AM

Cool pic! 

LOL!  I wanted to keep mine on at least through Monday but I was tormented by some people (I won't name any names here....) and told that I had to take it off!

I say rock on with your fashion accessory and keep wearing it with pride

I think I'm gonna wear it until R.I. 70.3 next month.  I'll flash it in front of the other M35-39 AG'ers.  Try and get inside their heads.  I'll mumble things like, "Now that Terenzo's not here, I'll have a shot at taking this thing."

Edited by Dream Chaser 2009-06-18 11:18 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 22