General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need Advice from Ironman finishers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-12-29 9:52 AM
in reply to: #1871242

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Need Advice from Ironman finishers
My advice is....... Have your credit card handy, your gonna need it.

2009-01-02 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
I've done three IMAZs (06, 07, spring 08) and one IMC (08).

If there was one piece of advice to a rookie, it's this: Triathlon is about combining three sports - swimming, cycling, running - into one, but it's still three sports and you should strive to be a good swimmer by swimming standards, a good cyclist by cycling standards, and a good runner by running standards.

That means a lot of things, such as learning flip turns. And you should train to run the run instead of planning on large sections of walking. I think there's a big emphasize especially for beginners on the bike leg to the detriment of the run leg.

Everyone has their own opinions, of course, these are just mine. The first year I took shortcuts to accomplish my goal of finishing an Ironman. I wore a noseclip because I just could not get exhaling underwater. I'm an adult learner when it comes to swimming, and I had a lot of problems without the noseclip. To this day I still wish I had just figured it out for 06. Really when I put some effort into it I was off the noseclip in three weeks.

Other things I know now I would have liked to know the first time:

1. Use CarboPro or other high carb type powder for fuel - it made nutrition SO much easier.

2. Don't ever forget sunscreen. I still have visible scars on my back from 06.

3. Train more in the aero position (if you have a tri bike). I just need to do this more. My neck is always killing me by mile 80.

2009-01-02 4:19 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Plan for the plan to fail.

I had two completely out of the blue events start during the bike leg of my Ironman.  I got the sh&ts halfway through the bike and had a random achilles act up from the first pedal strokes out of T1.  And yeah, I'll admit I was crying leaving T2 thinking there was no way in heck I was going to be able to run a marathon in that condition.

I ended up doing the two things my coach stressed NOT to do...I stopped eating on the bike, and I ran longer than my allotted 2.5' intervals on the run.  Why?  Because that's what worked and kept one foot going in front of the other.

The day is not going to go to plan.  Accept that now and be ready to flex to Plan B, Plan C, or Plan D.

2009-01-03 1:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Like a lot of people have said, have fun. I took my time and stayed within my limits. The race is awesome, the volunteers are the best, the atmosphere is just amazing. Just remember, you've got 17 hours to get it done
2009-01-04 4:34 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Ride a lot, I didnt ride enough... Like most have said, the run is not really a full run the whole way.

My advice... you have all day! 17 hours is a long time so if something goes wrong dont panic.
2009-01-05 4:33 AM

User image

Veteran

ride more - ride more - ride more!

And most important - ENJOY! 

2009-01-05 11:04 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I read Gordo's article way back when I was first getting started with triathlon, actually everything from his old gtips page and the new one, lurked on his old forums, and read "Going Long". I think there's was a lot of great advice there for a beginning triathlete. I especially liked and remembered this bit:

Gordo: "For me, endurance training is exactly like turning a Styrofoam cup inside out. So long as you take it slowly you'll be able to do it. Try to rush things and - rip - you'll tear the cup. You are the cup."
2009-01-06 12:05 PM

User image

Expert
San mateo California

Two things that will mess up your day if you don't do them well.

A) Pacing

B) Nutrition

so practice these two... you got them down?   you will be fine...  Enjoy the day... wohooo!! 

I will see you there!!

2009-01-10 7:57 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
I would have enjoyed the training more and had more faith that it would get me through on race day.

As for advice, on race day start the day knowing that you will give it the best you have, but that things go wrong and plans break down. As others have said, have a plan b, c, and d ready. And as long as you continue to give it the best you have whatever the day brings will be okay. At least you had the courage to commit and get out there.

When things start to break down - slow down. It's a long day and you have time. If it's mechanical, it will allow you to calm down enough to figure out what you need to do. If it's nutritional, it will allow your body to calm down enough you can probably get back on track and may be able to come back stronger.

I'd also suggest the book Going Long that someone else mentioned. It's a great resource.
2009-01-10 9:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis, MO

The advice I give each of the folks I coach at the IM distance about race day is:

It Is What It is.....there are only three things you can control during an IM...stay on top of these and you will have a good day!

1) Pacing....race your race..not your training partners, not your neighbors....your race only!

2) Nutrition ...Eat Like a Pig on the bike....go into the run fully fueled.

3) Most importantly YOUR ATTITUDE!   Stuff happens...the key is how you deal with it! This also inlcudes the best advice of all....HAVE FUN!! SMILE!!! Make the training pay dividends!

Paul

2009-01-22 4:54 PM

User image

The Natti
Keep it simple simple simple

Have no time expectations.

Take time to enjoy, look around, talk to people.

Smile a lot!

Thank the people helping the race

Bike far easier than you think you can

Pay attention to your nutrition, it is the keey to your day.

Remember, there is no spoon.

2009-01-22 8:50 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Like someone else said... be prepared for your plan to fail and go with a new plan on the fly.

I was going to eat every 15 minutes on the bike. Had my food planned out. Stomach started feeling nauseous at mile 80 on the bike. OK, plan B. Back off the food and switch to only liquids. I packed extra Infinit in my special needs bag and had used it... so I was ready to go to plan B.

I was going to walk/run the run. My Achilles tendons on both the R/L starting hurting around mile 80 on the bike. So I couldn't run... come run time. No problem. Plan B. Walk the marathon and walk as fast possible.

If you get down or it gets tough (it probably will)... STAY POSITIVE! Every moment you are out there is your memory! Don't mess up your memory with , moaning, or letting yourself get down. Make an amazing memory out there! Remind yourself, "I am doing an Ironman!".

Soak up the finish line. Don't run as fast you can through it. This is your moment! Don't let it fly by.

Get ready for the finish line. Take off reflective stuff. Starting cleaning off your salt soaked clothes about 2-3 miles out from the finish line. Let others pass before you, so you are not in their shot and visa versa. Look FORWARD crossing the finish line (I forgot this. DUH). Do not hit your watch. Look forward and pose for the picture of your life.

Again... just stay positive and remember that attitude is everything!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need Advice from Ironman finishers Rss Feed  

of 2