Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-12-29 2:37 PM
in reply to: #1874461

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Subject: RE: Yet another healthcare rant
You know when I started working for my current employer I was given 3 plans to choose from, one of which is a high dedutable plan.  I chose to go with a plan with higher premuims rather than risk the deductable.  Many things went into the decision including cost and the fact I have a pre teen son.  I could have gotten cheeper premiums but the plan I chose was what I considered the best option.  If you cannot afford the dedutable may be you shouldn't get the plan.  No one ever said you get everything you want handed to you in a nice package with a pretty bow.  Some times you have to make difficult choices then live with those choices.

2008-12-30 2:27 AM
in reply to: #1876113

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
bradword - 2008-12-29 2:18 PM

Depends on your priorities. Last year I made ~50k before business expenses and was able to save a lot of money (and I live in a very expensive area). I do this by being debt free, driving a very used but reliable car and not spending 55k a year. It's doable. I just don't have all the toys as some do. I don't drive a nice new car, have a PS3 a new tv etc.

Edit: Oh, and I have 3 kids, a dog and I'm supporting my bro-in-law.

That's lovely for you. I'm very happy - and very jealous - of your situation. But that is not the reality for me, or for a lot of other people. I make nowhere near 50K, I am nowhere near debt-free, and I doubt I have anywhere close to the number of toys you have. And I was over the moon that I was able to save $1500 in one year.

As for the high deductible and the people-know-going-in argument - sometimes they don't have an option. Look at the number of people saying they have no other option from their employers. I agree that the biggest mistake in our health care system is employer-tied insurance. Also, as said, it is a gamble. Let's say I'm barely scraping by, and even if I HAVE a choice between HMO/PPO or HDHCP, I'm gonna choose the one that lets me put food on my table every week and pray like the dickens that nothing big happens. If you want the people-know-going-in argument, where does that leave those who have NO insurance? I went without insurance for many years doing fairly high-risk activities, and I prayed a LOT. Sure, I knew it was a risk, but it was a risk I had no choice but to accept. Same for a lot of folks on HDHCP - they know the risk, but they have no other option.
2008-12-30 6:46 AM
in reply to: #1876095

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Isn't this person at risk for ANY type of major problem? She'll be just as toast if she has a major car problem, house fire or loses her job. Her inability to come up with 5k has little to do with the fact that the healtcare system is screwed up.

AcesFull - 2008-12-29 1:12 PM

bradword - 2008-12-29 1:05 PM I still don't understand how it "ends up screwing people". How does it screw people when they know up front they are responsible for 5k? The whole point of insurance is to make sure you don't have costs you can never pay back. Even the lowly box boy can get 5k together in a year or two (which most hospitals would be happy to work out if you ask) where 150k wouldn't be possible.

Not sure how a secretary, earning $40K/year with two kids is going to find a way to save up $5K of her salary.  

2008-12-30 9:13 AM
in reply to: #1877271

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
Slugger,

I was really talking to Acesfull about the secretary situation.

But on your note about having no choice, I know what you mean. My wife and I for a few years were totally uninsured. Our boys were under medicaid as were were well below the poverty line. We made it by luckily and had no major health problems for either of us.

I guess my major point is this. Insurance is there so you don't get to a point you can never recover from. This is especially true after the Bush admin signed the idiotic bill to "reform" bankruptcy law. Now health care expenses aren't able to be put into a bankruptcy. So if a 5k deductible is the worst case scenario, I don't care who you are, but it's not that bad.

Also Slugger, awesome on saving 1.5k Every little step counts. Check out Dave Ramsey's book, The Total Money Makeover. It really helped me get out of debt, which makes saving about 100000x easier.
2008-12-30 2:36 PM
in reply to: #1874461

User image

You have a product/service that the consumer has come to care less what it costs him. A provider that often times doesn't ck if the services provided can be paid for by the consumer.

The government spends millions or billons on developing treatments and medication that only Bill Gates can afford.

Doctors and medical professionals who have to spend almost as much time on cya paperwork so when they are sued for some ridiculous thing they have the documentation to clear their good name.

And my final opinion on part of the huge costs of health care is our government who wastes spends so much on all the programs they have.

My favorite is if you pay the physician cash it's $75 for an office visit, if you give him your insurance care it's $125.

If an auto body repairman tried that it's called insurance fraud.

2008-12-30 2:37 PM
in reply to: #1878187

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
My favorite is if you pay the physician cash it's $75 for an office visit, if you give him your insurance care it's $125.

This is what I was talking about in my post!

Since the insurance company will only pay them X percentage of the cost, they have to charge more to get the same money!

2008-12-30 8:39 PM
in reply to: #1878191

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
jldicarlo - 2008-12-30 2:37 PM

This is what I was talking about in my post!

Since the insurance company will only pay them X percentage of the cost, they have to charge more to get the same money!

With my Doc it is the other way around.  I would have to pay $125 to see a nurse practitioner and $85 is what the insurance would pay.  I had my knee looked at MRI $2000 but since I had insurance I paid $0 and the insurance company paid $900. 

Insurance companies all have discounts they make with insurance companies.  I looking at paying $100 a month for a 5k deductible  insurance.   It is because I have no job and I need something.  If I get sick or hurt I would be totally screwed.  The bad news is I can only be on that insurance for 6 months.  If I break a leg and need surgery I am not totally screwed but if I do not get the insurance my life could be completely screwed because of medical costs. 

Cool thing about the insurance if I need a MRI I might only pay the $900 and not the $2k.  That to me I think is the real advantage of the $5k Deductible.

As for my old companies insurance it was $100 a month for the CDHP plan but the PPO would been over $300 a month for a single person. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Yet another healthcare rant Rss Feed  

of 2