General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diet + Excercise = Healthy body You bet! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-10 10:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Subject: Diet + Excercise = Healthy body You bet!
Yes, we all know the theory... We combine the two, we feel better, we look better... yada yada. Unfortunately we cannot see inside our body. I always wondered....
Last year I went to the doctor for my yearly checkup. I was gaining weight, I was moody, my bad cholesterol was high but since my good cholesterol was also high my physician wasn't too concerned. The ratio was so-so. Still she recommended a healthier diet.
So I decided to make my own test (like the guy in the documentary "Supersize me"
BTW If you haven't seen that movie, YOU MUST).
But I went the healthier way!
I started to loosely follow South Beach diet then I started working out in July for a marathon.
This is week five of my triathlon training.
A year passed by... Another yearly checkup...
Results talk for themselves: 7 lbs lighter
Total cholesterol: From 203 down to 171 (-32mg)
LDL (aka bad) cholesterol: From 135 down to 98 (-37mg)
HDL (aka good) cholesterol: From 61 up to 65 (+4 mg)
Ratio LDL/HDL from 1.5 up to 2.2 WOW!
I am soo happy. I guess we take this things for granted.
I had to share this.

Edited by clflgrl 2005-03-10 11:00 PM

2005-03-14 3:46 PM
in reply to: #128247

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Subject: RE: Diet + Excercise = Healthy body You bet!
Here in the heartland (Iowa) I am mostly surrounded by people who think that I am "obsessed" with food because I care so much about what I put in my mouth (and it ain't beef and corn, kids!). I truly believe that health is 90% diet and 20% get off your butt. I think there are very few and I mean VERY few health ailments that cannot be improved dramatically or reversed with the proper diet. I am just so pleased to see your excellent results - I personally love the South Beach diet, and like you, I've used it loosely (mostly because I need a few more carbs to fuel my workouts, I've played around with the amounts enough to know). Congratulations on your awesome numbers, and thanks for spreading the word. I have seen Super Size me, by the way - LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
2005-03-16 12:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden Colorado
90% diet and 20% get off your butt...I always thought the school systems in Iowa were some of the top in the nation...just kidding...I totally agree though and have often had this discussion with my boss who believes that he cannot lose weight because he does not have time to exercise...eating healthy for him is a 12" BMT sub from subway with fritos and a coke...it's the diet first - then exercise.....UGH..

clflgrl - great job with the cholesterol !!! I just got mine tested yesterday and have gone from high to normal or better..however, yours is fantastic..keep it up and keep up the training.
2005-03-16 1:00 PM
in reply to: #130581

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Oh my GOSH - I cannot believe I did that! Gee thanks A LOT for catching my typo and making me feel like an idiot. OK, maybe the schools can't teach math (or I can't learn) but we sure can PLAY BASKETBALL!
Too bad in addition to spell checker there isn't a math checker!
2005-03-16 2:08 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Congrats, they are all good signs. Keep up the good work.
2005-03-18 9:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Thank you all! One thing that got my curiosity was the doctor telling me I needed more fluids. I was surprised she could tell by the blood work. I spent a good deal of time last week learning about the different values. I guess that this is one thing we sould learn about our body. Always ask for the report copy..

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diet + Excercise = Healthy body You bet! Rss Feed