General Discussion Triathlon Talk » excited - wanted to share! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-30 1:54 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: excited - wanted to share!

I bought a Trek road bike with clip on areo bars from one of my friends (she was selling it because she bought a carbon bike).  I used it this past tri season and it worked out well.

I have a couple HIMs and my first IM in 09, and decided it was time to finally get fitted for it.  I have an appointment this weekend and while it's no small chunk of change to drop, I think it's well worth it.

I think I am doing:

Triathlon Fitting:

Our FIST-certified fitters will work with you to establish the most efficient and aerodynamic riding position based on your flexibility and the type of events you ride. Self-selection is a fundamental concept of FIST; the fitter acts as a facilitator, moving the rider through a series of positions, and using feedback from the rider to select the ideal position. In particular, the fitter will spend a considerable amount of time establishing the proper cockpit length and hip angle.

2008-12-30 2:04 PM
in reply to: #1878104

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: RE: excited - wanted to share!

Congrats and use it well.

2008-12-30 3:34 PM

User image

Regular
St. Cloud, MN

I did that this summer with a new bike too.  It was spendy but definitely worth it. 

2008-12-30 3:46 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Hope it goes well...good fit is key to being comfortable on a bike.

Ask a lot of questions and see how the follow up works...as they often have to tweak stuff after riding 200-300 miles.

2008-12-30 4:04 PM
in reply to: #1878334

User image

Veteran
Gibraltar Michigan USA

Definitely don't let them rush you through it.  Make sure you try the fit both rested and tired.  You may find things change as you ride longer. 

And I agree.. Ask a load of questions and question anything and everything you can.

Good luck and I am sure you will see improvement in your power.

PS: make sure they are using a power meter to test your output after each change.  The recommended setting may not be the best.

Edited by triorbonk 2008-12-30 4:04 PM
2008-12-30 5:19 PM

Expert

I would just make sure they know you are on a road bike and not a tri bike ahead of time.  A FIST fitting is for triathlon bikes...steep seat tube angles, regular length aerobars....blah, blah, blah.  A road bike fitting is different.  They should either be setting you up in a road bike position or a modified position with some shorty aerobars.  What you don't want is to try and turn your road bike into a tri bike (potentially cramped hip angle and squirrely front end).

I am only bringing this up because as you said, this is no small amount of coin.  I am sure they know what they are doing but it doesn't hurt to give them a call ahead of time so that know what you are riding.

Good luck.

2008-12-30 6:33 PM
in reply to: #1878451

User image

Pro
Burbs
Stone - 2008-12-30 6:19 PM

I would just make sure they know you are on a road bike and not a tri bike ahead of time.  A FIST fitting is for triathlon bikes...steep seat tube angles, regular length aerobars....blah, blah, blah.  A road bike fitting is different.  They should either be setting you up in a road bike position or a modified position with some shorty aerobars.  What you don't want is to try and turn your road bike into a tri bike (potentially cramped hip angle and squirrely front end).

I am only bringing this up because as you said, this is no small amount of coin.  I am sure they know what they are doing but it doesn't hurt to give them a call ahead of time so that know what you are riding.

Good luck.

Thanks.

I am going to the Bike Doctor in Arnold and have talked to them about what I have (road bike).  The guy at the store came highly recommended from someone on my local board, and he's the one I spoke to.

I appreciate the advice!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » excited - wanted to share! Rss Feed