Broome County YMCA
14F / -10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 23m 54s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 10am to drink a smoothie (peanut butter, soy milk-omega 3 fortified!, chocolate and banana) and a big glass of water. Had to shovel the driveway, so that warmed me up.
Event warmup:

At the race I parked near the finish so that I could hit the loo and keep running to the finish to warm up and do some stretching. Had to keep the blood going because my toes were freezing!
Run
  • 23m 54s
  • 2.95 miles
  • 08m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

So, it was 14 degrees with snow showers...the wind was GUSTY!!! 25-35 mph with some gusts over 40 mph. At one point I couldn't tell if my toes were frozen or if my running shoes had frozen. I was feeling tingliness in the little toes and thought about bagging the race, but decided that if I couldn't suck it up for 25 minutes now then how would I handle a longer race??? I've never had some much stuff running from my nose. GROSS. It was rough breathing. The cold air was freezing my saliva and it was making it hard to breathing comfortably.
What would you do differently?:

Wear something for ear protection...Here it is 2 hours later and my ears are still feeling funky.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a minuted. Grabbed some hot chocolate and chatted for a few minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The WEATHER!!! I would have been fine with 15 degrees if the wind wasn't blowing. Plus... I MIGHT have plowed over some women walking on the race route. I was about 10 feet away and the two of them were taking up the whole width of the trail so I nicely said excuse me....they both moved the wrong directions and I tried to stop to move around them and slide into the backside of one. Oops.

Event comments:

The YMCA runs this event and the bonus this year was that they had nice BIG new banners to mark the start and finish...they should move the start banner back .15 miles though so that it's an actual 5k.

Last updated: 2008-12-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:54 | 02.95 miles | 08m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Avg Speed-7.4 mph Max - 9.5 mph Avg HR - 169 bpm Max HR - 181 bpm
Course: Flat for the most part. Garmin says ascent = 312 ft and descent = 297 ft.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-12-31 2:17 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: Broome County YMCA Resolution Run

2009-01-01 5:11 AM
in reply to: #1880171

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Broome County YMCA Resolution Run
Great job with some extraordinary weather conditions! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Broome County YMCA Resolution Run Rss Feed