General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ski or Snowboard? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-01 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Douglas County
Subject: Ski or Snowboard?

I know this is random and might be contentious, but it does relate to triathlon, I promise!

I just moved back to Colorado after many years away, and my husband and I bought a 4-pack to Keystone/A-Basin/Breck.  I was originally a skier, but I have not been on the slopes in over a decade and to be quite honest, I wasn't exactly stellar to begin with.

Now, the triathlon part.  I just registered for the Boulder Triathlon Series and I am hell-bent on completing the Long Course this year.  I don't want to risk getting injured....I realize that it'll happen regardless, but consider this risk mitigation.

My husband, a snowboarder, claims that snowboarding results in less knee injuries.  I know a lot of people who blew out their meniscuses skiing, and that freaks me out.  I also know a lot of people with broken wrists from snowboarding.....doesn't impact my limiter, running, so I'm not so upset about this.

So, is it true?  Are you less likely to get a knee injury snowboarding?  (Not going isn't an option

Happy New Year! 

2009-01-01 11:57 AM
in reply to: #1881006

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Subject: RE: Ski or Snowboard?
mtngirlincali - 2009-01-01 9:13 AM
So, is it true?  Are you less likely to get a knee injury snowboarding?  (Not going isn't an option

IMO, yes. The classic ACL tear skiing fall is a low-speed fall where you fall back (up the hill), and your rear-end lands on the snow. That type of fall puts force on the ACL. Then one of your ski edges grab the snow with just enough force to twist the knee a bit which tears the ACL. Unfortunately, beginners and intermediate skiers tend to fall like this a lot out of fear.

With snowboarding there's a whole new set of injuries that can occur that are just as bad, basically everything above your waist. IMO, snowboarding results in significantly more hospital visits than skiing but certainly less ACL injuries.
2009-01-01 4:52 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

I don't know current statistics, but it would seem with skiing and the advent of integrated ski/binding systems coupled with much shorter skis, would result in much less risk of knee injuries than in the past. Knee injuries from snowboarding are rare, but I suffered a whiplash type of injury that left me with a bulging disc in my neck that kept me from doing things like running and triathlon at a higher level for a couple of years. The multiple crashes a new boarder experiences ususlly give the body a pretty good thrashing, much more than what happens to skiers. The progression from beginner to intermediate is generally much faster for boarders though.

If knee injuries are your sole concern, your husband is correct. If you intend to get into snowboarding, I highly recommend a lesson your first time so at least you will have a good understanding of what you're trying to do.

Have fun out there!

2009-01-01 5:33 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL

I do both...neither of them well....

I think skiing or boarding (do both!) within your skill level could be a great way to cross-train.  I'm jealous you have such great opportunities so close to you. 

There may be more risk sitting on the couch.  Heart issues, back problems....  

2009-01-01 6:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglas County

Well, it sounds like I better take lessons again, whichever one I end up doing.   

Will likely try out snowboarding at least once, since we got a free ticket and lesson to Copper with his board this year, and then switch back to skiing if I find that falling on my rear isn't going to work out for me!  I get like this every time I put a race on the calendar....try to avoid doing things that I think I'd probably end up hurting myself doing.  But I'm feeling like I finally live in Colorado again, so I ought to hit the slopes.

Thanks for your thoughts, and keep them coming if you are inclined!

2009-01-03 11:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
I ski as I am a horrible snowboarder and was going to kill myself if I continued to do it =P. I started wearing a helmet skiing because of my trials on a snowboard, hehehe. I swear I almost knocked myself out twice the last time I went up snowboarding. It was like my head was attracted to the hard ground for some reason.....So yes, less knee injuries, but a definite potential for others. I would say the potential for injury is there for both, you just have to be careful.

I did find that skiing was like riding a bike for me, was sketchy at first, but got right back into it with little to no effort at all and I was away from it for 6 or 7 years.

2009-01-09 3:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
I must be the odd man (woman) out then.  I was snowboarding 2 weekends ago and ended up falling and sustaining a grade 1 MCL tear to my left knee. 
2009-01-13 3:07 PM

Snowboarding has a steeper learning curve, I think. I used to ski, but switched to boarding because the boots looked comfier.

I have fallen many more times on the board than on skis. But falling usually hurts less on the board, and it's much easier to bounce back (other than the time I faceplanted and my board came over my back to hit me in the head) Just make sure you try to land on your forearms instead of your wrists (or face).

I could be making this up, but I think it's harder to hurt your knees on the board because they're both strapped in so it's hard to twist at that joint.
2009-01-16 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
I know a few folks that switched to snowboarding becuas eit was easier on their legs in general. I did the same. I loved skiing but my knees feel much better after a day of boarding. Just watchout for your ribs, wrists, collarbone, ect.
2009-01-17 11:30 AM

User image

Colorado

I learned to ski at 29 and got to be pretty good, but did have some nagging knee injuries.  Especially annoying after skiing the bumps.  That went away when I married my husband, a full cert. ski instructor.  It was the neverending ski lesson from hell, so I switched to snowboarding.  My knees have been alot better since then   I do remember the wrist pain from falling, though.  I was TOLD to fall on my fists (punch the snow) or forearms, but didn't always do it that way, so there were a few times I boarded with wrist guards on (from Rollerblading).  That helped.  I did fracture my tailbone while on my snowboard.  Although it was a freak accident while waiting in line.  It was the result of another person pointing his board straight down the hill in my direction without having taken a lesson and therefore not knowing how to stop or turn!  Ski patrol did take his lift ticket away.  That is one thing I would highly recommend...at least one good lesson.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ski or Snowboard? Rss Feed