General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FIRST POST INTRO and aero bar setup/bar end brake and shifter questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-01 11:00 PM

User image

Veteran
GA
Subject: FIRST POST INTRO and aero bar setup/bar end brake and shifter questions

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I have a lot of questions. First, I'll introduce myself--I'm in the Army, have been an age-group runner/racer for about two years, and did my first tri (Couples Tri) in July 08 in Austin, TX. Since then I've been hooked. I found my first training plan (FREE!) from this website and have finally decided to become an official member of the forums. I completed another in Sept., and my next goal is the Morgan Hill Tri (CA) in May 09. It is slightly shorter than an olympic tri.

I broke a set of Forte aerobars a little while back, and just bought this profile design alumin-x aero bar setup with carbon aero bars for $53.59 from Nashbar. 

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=600092&subcategory=60001180&brand=&sku=23809&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Aero%20Bars

The aerobars curve away significantly from the center, away from each other. Why would profile design make their aerobars like this? Another picture of the exact same bars from another website shows them like this,

http://www.onetri.com/product_info.php?products_id=1752

which is exactly how i plan to set them up on my bike, just by switching the left bar with the right bar. My first question is, why would the bars ever be set up pointing away from center? Why would I receive them like this, besides some people (who?) will just ride with them in this position? The two items are the exact same product.

My next questions are in regards to the fact that I obviously need bar-end shifters and brake levers. My Felt f85 bike is only 6 months old and has 105 components. Should I try to sell the handlebar/shifter/brake setup myself, and find good deals on brakes/shifters of my own (any reliable/low cost recommendations?)? How much could I expect to sell the brakes/shifters for? I've fallen one time, so one shifter is slightly scratched.

Or should I go to a LBS, and offer to give them my old handlebar setup in exchange for installing my new gear and giving me bar end brakes and shifters, bar tape, and cables? Is this plausible? If a LBS agrees, which level of components should i request?

As for brake levers, I've been thinking about lower-end Profile Design levers in the $40-50 range. Any shifters I've seen are at horrific prices, but I also want something fairly well made. Is this just a component that is on the expensive side? Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again everyone, and keep TRI-ing!

2009-01-02 7:17 AM
in reply to: #1882003

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Subject: RE: FIRST POST INTRO and aero bar setup/bar end brake and shifter questions
Welcome to BT boards! Glad to see you've got the bug.

As for resale of your old stuff, check eBay. The shifters are Gold and sell very well, the bar: Not so much. Your LBS probably isn't interested in used components, but will sell you the new ones and do the work for you.

As for new components, you're going to be stuck w/ Dura-Ace bar end shifters, They're not terribly expensive like the integrated STI, about $80-$120. Brake levers; the Cane Creeks are fine and run ~$40.

I have no idea about the geometry of the aerobars. Seems backwards if you ask me: They should converge towards each other.
2009-01-02 9:06 AM

User image

Regular
Lawton / Fort Sill, OK
Subject: RE: FIRST POST INTRO and aero bar setup/bar end brake and shifter questions

TRI-ing Soldier,

First, welcome.  I can tell that you've been bitten by the TRI bug, HOOAH!!

I went to the second website you listed and there are pics that show three different angles.  They look right to me.  I think that the one pic from Nashbar is misleading....  I'm upgrading and doing a lot of research too.  The bars should be adjustable for rotation.  I have a set of older PD aero bars and they are very adjustable, just heavy.

About the set up.  Look on ebay for your bar-end shifters and brakes.  Also scour the internet and Craigslist in your area.  Just make sure you get the right shifters for your cassette, ie 9sp shifters = 9sp cassette or 10sp = 10sp. 

Being in the Army, you know how to read a TM.  Most manufactuers have online manuals for their parts.  I think you could install them for the most part.  When it comes to dialing in your shifters/derailers, have your LBS mechanic tune it up.  Most mechanics I know are happy to show you what they are doing and why.  PD brake levers are fine.  I've used mine for  3 years and have no complaints.

Your components that come off your bike---If it were me, I would hold on to them.  You never know when/if you might want to switch your setup back or if you want to buy and build another bike just for road riding.

What ever you decide, keep us posted!!

MSG(R) Michael Monroe

2009-01-02 12:03 PM
in reply to: #1882477

User image

Champion
when you get a chance check your messages, i sent you one there, board was not letting me reply.
2009-01-02 12:46 PM

New user

Your profile says Pacific Grove as your location.  I'm taking a wild guess that you  mean Pacific grove, California.  If so, welcome to the Monterey area!  I'm a marine here in Montery at the NPS school, and statred doing tris last year.  There are a large number of tris in the central/northern California area, including an olympic and sprint distance here in Pacific Gorve, approprioately named the Pcific Grove triathlon.  Here is the website for TriCalifornia, which hosts the PG tri, among others, including Avia Wildflower.

Also, check my blog (linked in my .sig) for the other events in the CA area that I will be doing in 2009;  it might give you a great idea of what else is available, if you don't know allready.  We should get together at some point as well, and compare tri notes.

Welcome!

Dave

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FIRST POST INTRO and aero bar setup/bar end brake and shifter questions Rss Feed