General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running=pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-02 9:44 AM

User image

Subject: Running=pain

I'm trying to get to where I can run the whole way in a 5K. The problem is that I can only go about 1/10 of a mile before my shins start really hurting. Some days I'll just push through the pain and go a couple of miles, but then I can barely walk for a week after. If I run too much, it almost feels like my tibia and fibula are about to quit being attached.

Right now I'm walking 3miles a day around the high school's track and running either one straight or one curved section. I've been doing this for two weeks now. My shins still ache the whole rest of the day and part of the morning. 

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to wait until I lose more weight before I try running?

2009-01-02 10:05 AM
in reply to: #1882560

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Subject: RE: Running=pain
Have you been fit for a proper shoe yet?  FInd the best local running shop you can and have the folks there take a look at your gait.  They can help you find a shoe that's best for you.  They may also be able to make suggestions if you need a better insole or orthotics.
2009-01-02 11:37 AM
in reply to: #1882597

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Spleen - 2009-01-02 9:05 AM Have you been fit for a proper shoe yet?  FInd the best local running shop you can and have the folks there take a look at your gait.  They can help you find a shoe that's best for you.  They may also be able to make suggestions if you need a better insole or orthotics.

x2

I used to get shin splints from running on worn out shoes or the wrong shoes.  For me, a motion control shoe and replacement every 250-300 miles has resolved the issue.

YMMV

2009-01-02 12:05 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

Also make sure you get in a good warmup ... lots of walking ... do at least 7-10 minutes brisk walking before you start to run ...

... then when your shins start to hurt ... slow down ... even if that means walking .... then in a couple of minutes pick your pace back up .... if they start hurting again .... slow down some ... even if that means slowing down to a walking pace .... continue and repeat cycle as aften as needed.

Eventually your running distances will increase, walking will decrease, and pace will even out and start to increase ...

And x3 on the fitted shoes ... best thing in the world ... might want to look into the inserts they recommend as well for absorbing shock and impact ...

2009-01-02 1:46 PM

User image

Master
also, be sure to stretch and strengthen the muscles in your shins. These muscles are responsible for pulling your foot up every time you go to take a step forward, and if you suddenly increase mileage and/or distance, you can irritate them.

Stretch by sitting on the floor on your shins with your feet flat under your butt. Then just sit up. Strengthen with an elastic exercise band or by putting one foot on top of the other and pushing up to resistance.
2009-01-02 2:28 PM

User image

Wow, lots of advice. Thank! I need new shoes, that's for sure. I'm going to try everything you all suggested. Thanks again!

2009-01-02 3:35 PM

User image

New Haven, CT
Shin splints will abate after you run for awhile.  AS others have said, warm up well, stretch and make sure you have properly fitted shoes. 
2009-01-02 4:35 PM
in reply to: #1883088

User image

jsklarz - 2009-01-02 1:35 PM Shin splints will abate after you run for awhile.  AS others have said, warm up well, stretch and make sure you have properly fitted shoes. 

Ditto to most of the above, I'd say if your shins are hurting you should not run on them.  I got them as well when I started, took a couple years to go away as I slowly increased my mileage.

I'd add post run ice directly on the area as well as ibuprofen

2009-01-02 5:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colo Springs, CO

I've been told that running in shoes that are even a tiny bit too small (short) can contribute to shin splints too. You should have quite a bit of room at the end of your longest toe.

2009-01-03 9:08 PM
in reply to: #1883163

ChrisM - 2009-01-02 5:35 PM

Ditto to most of the above, I'd say if your shins are hurting you should not run on them.  I got them as well when I started, took a couple years to go away as I slowly increased my mileage.

I'd add post run ice directly on the area as well as ibuprofen

x2

Don't try to run through shin splints.  You'll just continue to inflame the tendons (tendonitis) and it will take that much longer to heal.  And they do need to heal.  I used to get them.  When they started acting up, I would crosstrain (elliptical, cycling, swimming) until I didn't feel them anymore--usually a week or two.  Then start jogging very slowly on level terrain for very small amounts of time.  It's all about allowing your legs to get strong enough for you to run as far and as fast as you want, and it will take time.  It's hard to not run, but if you want to heal you will need to take a break!

Edited by sweatysox 2009-01-03 9:21 PM
2009-01-16 10:42 PM

User image

Wow, ya'll were so right about the shoes! I went to a running store and got fitted and got shoes and arch supports. Amazing difference! I couldn't run a tenth of a mile without pain. I've been walking three miles a day for the last month to get ready for the running. Tonight I jogged two miles without any pain and I'm still not feeling anything. Hooray!

Thanks for the advice!

2009-01-16 11:07 PM

User image

Master
Glad to hear, a couple other points, one said about the size of shoes, typically your running shoe will a 1/2 size or more larger than your normal shoes. There should be room in the toebox. The other point that was not mentioned is overstriding can lead to shin pain. Make sure you are landing with your center of gravity above your shoe (foot under body), and not with a leading foot. Plenty of running magazines show this improper form. If you want to go faster don't overstride, increase cadence (to around 90 footstrikes per foot per minute), and then over time the increased power will allow for a stronger push off creating a longer stride with a proper landing.

Edited by slake707 2009-01-16 11:15 PM
2009-01-19 2:57 PM

It's been years since I've had shim splints, but the best advice I ever got was from my college coach.

I don't know how medically correct this is, but is has helped me and others in the past.

When the pain from the splits flares up,  consciencely force your feet to a slightly pigeon toed position. Not anything too drastic, but enough to where it feels awkward -- it should be so slight that you may not even be able to visually notice it, but you will feel it.

Walk or run like this for a short distance, and see if it helps. It may take several runs/tries for this to have an effect.

Also, we use to put a heel evelvator/cusion in our shoes to alleviate splints.

I'm no doctor, but these 'remedies" have helped me in the past.

Of course, this is in addition to everything else posted earlier.....

2009-01-19 4:23 PM
in reply to: #1913501

User image

If you want to go faster don't overstride, increase cadence (to around 90 footstrikes per foot per minute), and then over time the increased power will allow for a stronger push off creating a longer stride with a proper landing.
\

Forgot to mention that this was one thing that, once I started, the shin splints never came back.  Causation?   dunnot, but as soon as I increased my cadence my shin splints went away and never came back

2009-01-23 12:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK

Sometimes shin splints can be caused by running form.  As mentioned earier try to avoid overstriding.  This will cause you to run heel-toe.  That is landing on your heel.  When you do this your toes slap down on the ground.  You will naturally try to reduce the impact of your foot slapping the ground.  This is done by flexing the anterior tibialis (the muscle that sits just to the outside of your shin bone).  After a while this muscle will get tired or even damaged.  There are other things that can cause shin pain but I would research good running form and compare that to what you are doing.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running=pain Rss Feed