Australian Triathlon Forum Victoria » Melbourne in 10 days Rss Feed  
Moderators: kaqphin, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-03 11:28 PM

User image

Subject: Melbourne in 10 days
Hey everyone,
I'm a third year university student on my way to Australia to do a semester abroad. I'm interested in getting into some races and was wondering about a few things:

1) are there any marathons/longer distance triathlons between january and june 2009 in or near melbourne?
2) I'm a student and unfortunatly am unable to bring my bike over with me. does anyone know anyone that may be willing to let me lease a road or tri-bike from them for the duration of my stay or heck, even just the week before a race?
I'm really looking forward to getting away from the snow and ice here in Canada. Hopefully will see you all on the start line soon

Mouse

2009-01-04 6:47 AM
in reply to: #1884851

User image

Subject: RE: Melbourne in 10 days
Hey, great to hear another Canadian is venturing to our fine shores! After living in TO for some years myself, I feel like its my second home. Where are you coming from?? There are PLENTY of races in and around melbourne during the time you will be here. Where are you planning to base yourself??? If you can get close to the Bay then the races will be at your door step. There is an oly distance this weekend coming- but I presume that isnt going to help you and we have a 70.3 in Geelong (about 1 hour out of Melb) which is an amazing race. There are a heap of others but probs best if you go to www.trivic.org.au to start with.

Now for the bike issue. I am sure we can find someone willing to help you out. How tall are you????

Lori
2009-01-05 11:19 AM
in reply to: #1884967

User image

Well, i call Brockville (a small town in Eastern Ontario) home but i go to school in Hamilton. for the month of January i will be moving from relative to relative and doing some travelling. During school I'll be living in residence on the Burwood Campus of Deakin University. I looked at Geelong as a possible race but my Contiki tour ends in Cairns i think the day before it the race... Um as far as how tall am i? depending on the day (and how much ive been studying) im about 6 feet tall. right now i'm riding a 56cm frame. Starting to get excited and i'm definitly going to take a look at that website.

Thanks a lot

mike
2009-01-06 3:46 PM

Hi,

http://www.greatoceanroadmarathon.com.au/

That's the only marathon I can think of in that time frame, the Melbourne Marathon is in October. There is the 70.3 in Geelong as previously mentioned and an Olympic distance in sandringham this Sunday (11/1/09).  There is a long ride in late march,

http://www.supersprint.com.au/events/great-ocean--otway-classic-ride.aspx

Hope this helps.

Cheers

2009-01-11 7:50 PM

User image

Oh excellent....I know Deakin well. There is a tram (street car) right outside the campus so you can get about if you dont have a car. There will be lots of sprint races on during this time towards bayside- which is where I am based. Its about a 30min drive.....

Now bikes hmmm...... I think first look at whether there are any races and then from there you might be able to contact clubs in the area as members often have numerous bikes- just as an option.

New Thread
Australian Triathlon Forum Victoria » Melbourne in 10 days Rss Feed