self coached using multiple sources.
Combination Live, in-person and Self-coached using BT's plans
e-mail and some phone / no trainig peaks
Combination BT / TTB

2005-03-12 6:09 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: How are you coached?
I recently hired a live, in-person coach and have been getting a lot out of it. I'm wondering how many others have coaches, how many use online (or "not-in-person") coaches, and how many coach themselves with a plan, a book, or with what feels right. (There are probably more options I'm not thinking of right now.)

Thanks!
Mike

2005-03-12 6:24 PM
in reply to: #128977

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: How are you coached?
I hired a swim coach to help with technique and training plans, I also have a running coach through my running group who helps me plan out long run distances for up coming races, for the bike I pretty much do what I think I need to do; might not be the best plan there
2005-03-12 9:14 PM

User image

Edmond, OK
I am going to use the 1/2 IM plan on this site but right now I'm using a base building plan I found in Triathlete magazine. It's going pretty well.

I have been trying to find a coach without much luck. My daughters swim coach is training for an IM and offered to help me in the swim. I think I'll try that for now.
2005-03-12 10:23 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

I'm self coached.  This is my first season of tri.  I'm using Gale Bernhardt's book Training Plans for Multisport Atheletes.  My goal race is an Olympic distance tri.  So, I'm using her 6 month Oly plan.  I feel like I'm making progress...we'll see at the Oly race at the end of May!

I'm sure a live coach is much better than a plan out of a book.  Maybe next year.  I would be interested in any opinions on the online coaches.  Anyone using one of them?

TJ

2005-03-12 10:51 PM

User image

Expert
Wandering through AZ

In just over a year of tri training I think I've done all of the above

I started with the Eric Harr book triathlon training in 4 hours a week, but hit a plateau with that after 5 months. I got with a coached group through my gym last summer and made a great deal of progress and had a great time. Then I went to the intuitive method of finding random workouts that seemed right from masters swim and training plans on the net. Now since starting up training in earnest for this coming season I'm using the 1/2 IM plan here at BT and shoehorning it around my life schedule. Along with that I'm incoporating some drills from the Total Immersion books to my swims.

If I find I'm not motivated enough to push through to the next level I might go to a coach for something specific, but I'm spending too much money as is on this sport

2005-03-13 12:18 AM

User image

Elite
Chicago

I was self-coached for the my first 6 years of triathlon racing.  I switched to in-person coaching last season (with weekly adjusting workouts given to me at the start of each week) and saw INCREDIBLY DRAMATIC results.

I'm sticking with the same coach this year and see how IMWI and see if I can demolish my 1/2 IM PR I set while under his care last year (or else he's fired)....ha ha ha.

Edited by Steve- 2005-03-13 12:18 AM

2005-03-13 12:21 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I voted self-coached, but I did take a swimming stroke improvement class. There are only about a half dozen of us in the class so I do get some personal attention most every week. Besides that I get a lot of information reading, on BT and elsewhere, and sometimes talking to people.
2005-03-13 10:08 AM

User image

Champion
MA
I was self coached last year in my first year. I finished my first tri which was my goal. In hearing and reading from others many on BT who have had great sucess using a coach I am investigating getting a coach. For me it only makes sense to find someone somewhat local. Many online coaches are more expensive or the same price as local coaches that can see me and work with me, may be at some of my Tris. I am looking into three different coaches and trying to find the right fit.

I think with limited time training smart will help get the most improvements. I can read the books (I have lots), but do I know how to make adjustments...not really...do I know how far to push and when I need a rest week...not really. I do not want to get hurt and be out. My long term goal is to do an IM distance....to get there I need outside help.

2005-03-13 10:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Belize
I can't afford a coach. Is it really worth it? I mean, are there certain information or tips that you will get from a coach that you won't get from articles here or anywhere else on the Internet? What's the difference? What am I missing?
2005-03-13 9:18 PM

User image

Expert
I don't think a coach is absolutely necessary. Many people reach all their goals without one. I had never run track or been on the swim team or even done much group riding or running, so felt I had no real evaluation of my technique or technique training, ever. And as I learned while doing martial arts, there are just some things that are hard to put into words, and some things that you can't feel or see yourself doing that someone else can. I figured I'd try it out and see how it went. So far, I'm getting a lot of motivation, input, and feedback. My coach can tailor my training schedule to line up with my current abilities, my goals, and the rest of my life's responsibilities. My coach is pushing me much harder than I would have pushed myself and I feel I will go much farther than I would have otherwise this season. As in many of areas of my life, I find that if a lot is expected of me, I will achieve a lot.

Thank you all for your responses!

Mike
2005-03-13 9:30 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
You may want to distinguish between technical coaching and general program coaching.....as has been said many times here, technical coaching is important for swimming if you are not proficient already. Perhaps less so for running and riding.

General program coaching is more the day to day and week to week workout planning to prep you for an event or set of events.....I think the plans on this site can get you ready for a short distance event but if I were doing a full IM, I'd get a coach....

2005-03-13 10:14 PM
in reply to: #129139

User image

Elite
Chicago

David_Zen - 2005-03-13 9:46 AM I can't afford a coach. Is it really worth it? I mean, are there certain information or tips that you will get from a coach that you won't get from articles here or anywhere else on the Internet? What's the difference? What am I missing?

The biggest benefit I've found to having a coach is to ask questions.  Esp if you're doing longer events, you'll most likely either get injured or sick or miss a workout or have sore calves...etc and the coach is an EXCELLENT resource to tweak your trng schedule to ensure you get optimal benefit from your trng efforts!

I got a knot in my soleus last year after a multiple bike-run-bike-run-bike-run and it didn't go away for months...although I could run on it.  My coach was instrumental in tweaking my trng to ensure I didn't injure it further!

That's really one of the biggest benefits I find to having a coach.

2005-03-14 11:07 AM

User image

Buttercup
BT, The Complete Triathlon Book, Triathlete magazine, wise-cracks from my log Inspirers, ex helps me with my bike technique, and the cute 20ish lifeguard gives me stroke feedback too.

Masters coach thinks she'll have room for me in a couple of weeks so my circle of teachers will soon expand.
2005-03-14 12:04 PM

User image

Pasadena, CA
I've enjoyd reading this thread. I've been on both sides of this fence... I've retained a coach in the past and I'm a full time tri coach. Thanks for sharing
2005-03-14 12:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Belize
Come to think of it; I would probably do a whole lot better if I had a coach, especially a swim coach and a cycling coach and a running coach or better yet, a tri coach. Problem is I don't think I can afford one right now, especially after buying my bike. This is why I am trying to convince myself that I don't need one.

Can we add to this question, "how much do you spend on coaching?" I spend mostly TIME. Time to research, time to read and time to learn all one needs to know about triathlons and triathlon training. In a sense, this website has served somewhat as a coach for me because if I have any questions I know I can get the answers here. Also, the articles and training plans here have helped me to set up my own training program and helped me to make better choices in nutrition as if I am my own coach. And everytime someone responds to my blog saying things like, "great workout yesterday!" It serves as a good motivation, something you'd probably get from a real coach.
2005-03-14 1:14 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
I don't follow a specific plan, as of yet. I have a swim instructor who guides the swim class I take. He offers pointers and drills for improving my stroke, and gives us guided workouts that I don't follow (it includes stuff like back stroke and kicking that I don't want to bother with right now, lol).

As for running, I'm following a general plan that states what type of training I should be doing. Until this week, for example, I was in the "build" phase, so to me that meant just increasing my distance or speed over time. This week, though, I get to move into the "speed work" phase and you can be sure I'll be "borrowing" some track workouts from other sources (local running/tri clubs that post their workouts are a favorite starting point).

When it comes to cycling, I have some of my BF's old training notes from a couple of years ago when he worked with a coach over the web. I have modified them to suit my needs for the trainer. Outdoor rides have been just out and back rides that cover a specific distance with a hill or two for challenge. My next route (I've out-grown my old one) was pointed out to me by my BF -- it was his old "beginner" route, and has a one-mile uphill climb.

I've read countless articles and asked a zillion questions of other triathletes. I'm seeing great progress in each of the three disciplines at the moment, so I'm happy with where I'm headed. But I can see a time in the future where I'd like to work with a live person to fine tune some stuff. I'm especially thinking about my freestyle stroke. I think I could benefit from some one-on-one work there.

2005-03-14 4:28 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Subject: Swim Coaches
Just in case you are looking for a swim coach....

there are several excellent ones listed on my website!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How are you coached? Rss Feed