YMCA
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m
Overall Rank = 107/428
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke up ate grape nuts and a banana, started drinking water.
Put all my stuff in the car and drove 1.5 hours to Athens.
Didn't get in much of a warmup as I went to get John some food left my water bottles in the car etc. So I mainly did some yoga stretches during the pre race meeting. Okay while I was waiting for my turn in the pool I did get in a few laps of swimming, but it was more to calm my nerves. The pool was indoor and with 500+ people in it, it was REALLY HOT.
Event warmup:

Couple laps swimming and sun salutations.
Swim
  • 05m 35s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

I put my time in for the swim before I started, so the group I was in was a lot slower than I was. It was the first time for me passing people like that in the pool and swimming over people. I kind of felt bad because I swam over this 12 year old girl, she must be used to it though because it didn't phase her.
What would you do differently?:

Next time I will put my time about a minute faster. My swim coach laughed at me when I told him my seed time. He thought I could do it in 4:30. You live you learn.
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Forgot to put on race number tried to go back to get it USAT official told me to just put it on for the run.

Run faster out of the pool and wait to take drinks on bike. Set up shoes a little further back on towel to allow feet place to rest while putting on shoes. Put racing belt under shoes.
Bike
  • 45m 3s
  • 14 miles
  • 18.64 mile/hr
Comments:

I passed quite a few people on the bike, but I lost time here that I was hoping to get to make my goal. But I guess mother nature alway wins. Despite the conditions I feel I did pretty well. My bike time beat the number 1 female finisher anyway.

Hydrate better on the bike. Also I would have taken a gel pack right before the turn around. I forgot the gels. Get used to hydrating while on the bike so I don't loose time by stopping to hydrate after the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Because I didn't hydrate well on the bike I stopped for water. Lost time. I also had to dig out my racing belt from my cooler because I had forgot it on the bike. I put my hat on while running out of T2.

Not stop to hydrate, would have done it on the bike and at halfway point on course or worn my belt.

Should only have to change shoes. Can continue to put on hat while running.
Run
  • 26m 34s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs were super heavy, I felt like I was doing 10:00 miles and I just couldn't get my legs to go any faster. Luckily I only felt that way. My left leg from the knee down had some weird numbness for the first mile that went away. I don't know what that was about. Slight up hill out. Slight down hill back didn't really have too much of an affect. I wish the run course was marked better. I wasn't sure I was going the right way and asked a volunteer. Also there was a turn right before the finishing shoot where you veered off the path you'be been on almost the whole time and nothing to mark it. A photographer spent the morning yelling at people to go right. Thank God. This is where the number 1 woman overall repassed me and kicked my butt. Her 5k was 22:16. Yes, Im anal and I looked at all of her splits. Her T1 was 20 seconds faster, swim 22 seconds slower, T2 25 seconds faster, bike 46 seconds slower, but her run. And I thought running was my strongest pointe. I'm funny.

More bricks. More LONG bricks, not just 10" fluffy bricks.
If it was this hard and I'm training for a half IronMan. Let's just say it makes me nervous. I could complete one right now, but I would never reach my goals for the season, plus it would be painful, REALLY painful. I don't think I would move the next day.
Post race
Warm down:

Eating pizza, not smart, but really its what I did along with some orange wedges water and standing to cheer on my friends who also did amazingly today.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition night before, not enough. Couldn't sleep very well too anxious. The wind was killer.

I don't know it sounds like excuses to me, but this was my first sprint and at least I have a lot to work on. Plus the woman who got first didn't even get my Secret Goal. Made me feel a little bit better about not attaining it myself. I was happy about my performance until I looked at my time, but after pondering it awhile. I am proud of how I did. And I know what I need to work on.

Event comments:

There could have been more volunteers on the run. Also I got so tired of waiting for the awards ceremony I just left. My body wouldn't let me stay any longer. The race started at 9am and I left the race site at 12:30. It felt like we were there longer than that it must have been the sun.

They had free pizza, oranges and bananas, allsport, and water for all the finishing participants. I thought that was exciting.

Overall. I really enjoyed myself and would do it again.

Last updated: 2005-03-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:35 | 300 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 0/428
Performance: Below average
Suit: DeSoto tri shorts/adidas sports bra
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:39
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:45:03 | 14 miles | 18.64 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Downhill and with the wind out 7 miles Uphill against the wind 7 miles back. (24mph winds) The hills probably wouldn't have seemed so bad if not for the wind. When I got on weather.com it didn't have one of those suns as the picture it just had the word windy if that tells you anythin
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:34 | 03.1 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Rolling hills through park trail and on back road. Very little shade as the trees haven't gotten their leaves fully yet.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-03-12 7:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: Athens YMCA Sprint

2005-03-13 2:55 PM
in reply to: #129001

Veteran
Keller, TX
Subject: RE: Athens YMCA Sprint

Hey Jessi,

good job!  First tri?  good job!

Remember when you go to an event, everyone has a different agenda in mind - they aren't all 'A' races for everyone.  Some people are doing it just to get back in the swing of things - some folks are coming off of injuries - etc.  Set your goals and measure yourself against those.

I'd say you did just fine!

TB

2005-03-13 6:10 PM
in reply to: #129194

User image

Veteran
Texas! & Ann Arbor, MI!
Jessi,
Awesome job. Hopefully I'll be on your tail next time! ;o)
Way to get 1st in our age group! Wa Hoo!
2005-03-13 9:24 PM
in reply to: #129001

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
This was actually my second tri ever, first last season was an olympic distance. I classified this one as a C race and treated it like a workout so I didn't taper during the week. I guess I just wasn't expecting it to hurt so bad, but I guess it had a lot to do with the wind and not having enough to eat. I am definitely investing in an aero bar water bottle before my next race, and I think I'll put my aero bars in a bit more agressive position as I get used to them.

Thanks for the support. It appears there were quite a few BTers out there this weekend.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Athens YMCA Sprint Rss Feed