United States
New York Road Runners
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 59m 22s
Overall Rank = 13132/39000
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3602/
Pre-race routine:

got up early at the hotel around 4:30. got dressed, left the hotel and walked to the NYC Library. Ate a bagel on the way. got to the library and they were loading people on the buses right away. this was easy. Sat down, and tried to fall bad asleep.

got to pre-race sight and was very well organized. grabbed some D&D coffee and had some hot water. they were serving power bars and bagels...supply was not an issue at all. Had more than enough. Ate a power bar than just waited--about 3 hours. Went by fast.
Event warmup:

Not much. Stretched a little waiting in the chute. that was about it.
Run
  • 3h 59m 22s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went well, except the bottom of my foot was in pain from mile 2 until the finish. this was more uncomfortable than painful. What a great city! Crowds were unbelievable.

The Verrazano Bridge is SOOO deceiving. Running in a strong head wind very steep incline. I was running 10:30 miles at this point and tried to make it up in miles 2-3, big mistake. I settled into a 8:30 second pace around mile 3 which was a tad too fast. By mile 18 I was over 9:00 and at 20-21 I had to really focus in to hit my goal of sub 4 hour. It came to a point where I said to myself, "Just finish, stop worrying about your time." Than, I regained my focus and sucked it up for the last few miles. At mile 24, it was looking really good for a sub 4, than my hammy starting cramping and I went down. there was a water stop right there. I drank a cup, stretched it out and the sensation of cramping up stopped. I started running again and it felt like it was going to cramp up again. This was KILLING me as I need to run at about 9:30 miles to finish sub 4. I literally had NO time to rest. slowly, I worked my speed back up, and I felt good. When I saw the 300 yard sign, I started pushing HARD. Had to back off at the 200 yard sign. than, when I saw the finish, I ran as hard and fast as I could at that point. I crossed the finish line, my Timex said 3:59:30 and my Garmin 305 said 3:59:22. Wow. I had about 38 seconds to spear!!

What would you do differently?:

Started out at an 8:50 or so. Could have done low 3:50s or high 3:40s if I did. Started too fast and let the first mile (the hardest in NYC) get to my head too much. That first mile over the Verrazzno is hard. didn't plan for the hills. NYC is a lot more hilly than you would think. The bridges and Central Park is all up hill...the last few miles in Central Park are not easy
Post race
Warm down:

The walk of the living dead.

your walking with thousands of people who all want to get out of Central Park. your minimum walk is 20 minutes, as you have to wait to get a checked back. Luckily, I had no bag to get and got out at first chance. Meet up with my wife and caught a buggy ride back to hotel, where I soaked in an ice bath for 10 minutes than ate a whole pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

bottom of right foot hurt, underestimated bridges and hills (should have done more hill work) and started out too fast.

Event comments:

Can't get better than NYC Marathon. What a great race!!!

Pasta dinner night before is a BLAST!! Post race party is OK at best--more for the people out of country. Expo is GREAT. top notch event.

Crowards are AWESOME....Kids think you are a super star!

Last updated: 2008-12-03 12:00 AM
Running
03:59:22 | 26.2 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/39000
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4