General Discussion Race Reports! » Prairie View Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Prairie View Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Vicksburg, Michigan
United States
3Disciplines
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 12m 30s
Overall Rank = 6/51
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

up at 4:30 am - shower, body glide the body, get dressed. Had a cup of coffee and a large bagel w/ peanut butter. Also drinking lots of water throughout the morning as it was supposed to be a hot day. I packed up the car and got on the road at 5:30 for the 1 hour ride to Vicksburg.
Event warmup:

Got to the site around 6:30 and got registered and set up transition. The water temperatur was 78 degrees and much warmer then the air, no wetsuits allowed. This helped out the T1 time by 10 seconds probably. I had a GU about 20 minutes before the 8 am swim start. I then double checked my Transition area and headed down to the lake for swim warm up.
Swim
  • 19m 34s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

I went out really hard the first 200m to get in with that lead group although they lost me by the first buoy. I was able to just keep my head down and follow that lead group to the buoy which was good. I was on my own until the last 200m when (2) others caught me. I hopped on their feet to the swim out. I ended up passing both of them in transition.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - I just want to work on my swim over the winter and get stronger in this discipline overall
Transition 1
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Transition included long run uphill to transition area. I had trouble mounting my bike and getting shoes into pedals - probably looked like an idiot. Overall good transition - even better w/out having to bother with the wetsuit.

Mount my bike better - shoes already on bike?
Bike
  • 1h 06m 33s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.40 mile/hr
Comments:

I passed (2) people in transition and then headed out onto the course and knew it would be fast - just needed to get my HR down and kill it. The first lap was pretty lonely as there was nobody on the course. A competitor passed me at the 10K mark but nobody else. I saw I was in 4th place at the out and back on Oakland. As I made the turn there were a few a couple minutes back but knew my bike was going to be solid. I stayed within 500 feet of the guy that passed me onto the second lap and then lost him as the Sprint distance came on the course. It is fun to pass people and broke the boring spell of the first lap. The roads were in good shape and I liked the course. My HR was in a good spot and felt good as I was ready to get to the run and hoping for a PR on the 10K.

Maybe push harder? I dont know felt like I gave my best effort.
Transition 2
  • 00m 23s
Comments:

solid - fast - happy

nothing
Run
  • 44m 43s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

I really wanted to PR this 10K and end the season on a high note. There was a large hill right away and that was not the best way I wanted to start the run but no problem. I had not been on the course before so had no idea what to expect. After the first mile i settled in and felt good. The last 1.5 miles of each lap was flat and I was able to get on a good clip. As I turned for the second lap i had not been passed by anybody and knew I was in good shape and wanted to have a great finish. My pace on the second lap was steady and tried not to push too hard but hold a good clip. Dammit-passed at mile 4 by one guy, although running very fast. I pushed a little harder as i did not want that to happen again. I got to the flat section and pushed hard until the end. As i got to the finish line I checked my watch 2:12:xx WOW!! Awesome - very happy and wanted to know my run splits.

Nothing - run felt hard but within myself
Post race
Warm down:

Drink alot of water and Gatorade Endurance - pizza an hour later - Got my gear from transition and loaded up the car - headed down to the lake for a swim so i did not smell so bad. Stuck around for awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My swimming, my biking, and my running - Lots of room for improvement which is exciting based on my finish.

Event comments:

Good venue - bike course uneventful and flat - they did have lots of volunteers on the course which was good and police holding traffic - run course was nice and shaded and unique. I would do the race again.

Last updated: 2008-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:34 | 1094 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 10/51
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: counterclockwise around an irregular triangle in Lake Hogset - Prairie View County Park. Water was clear but a little weedy at the drop off.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:17
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:06:33 | 24.85 miles | 22.40 mile/hr
Overall: 5/51
Wind: Little
Course: 2 laps - All right hand turns - mainly flat and fast - couple turns near the end of the course that breaked the monotony.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:23
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:43 | 06.21 miles | 07m 12s  min/mile
Overall: 11/51
Course: half trail run and half park roads and paved pathways - (2) laps -
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-01-09 6:40 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: Prairie View Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Prairie View Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed