BT Development Mentor Program Archives » stevebradley's Mentor Group FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 264

2011-10-09 9:13 PM
in reply to: #1896958

User image

Master
Subject: RE: stevebradley's Mentor Group FULL

HI Steve,

Dealing with a slight injury right now, but I am moving.  In fact just got back from a ride.  I had a minor tear in my calf from some interval training I was doing on the bike with my new group.  Thats why I always avoided group stuff before, but oh well, it happens.  I will be more cautious.  We were actually doing these really hard 60 second repeats and I heard something "pop" in my calf...which was strange, because it didn't hurt at the time.  Over the next few days bruising started.  It's been about a month now but still feeling it just a bit.

No races, the last one I did was CA 70.3 in April.  I was training for a few races just before I hurt the calf.  For now it looks like I am pushed back until the HITS series this Dec which is in Palm Springs, CA. Most like the Oly.

Thats about it, nothing too exciting race wise. 

2011-10-09 10:03 PM
in reply to: #3717274

User image

Champion

NEIL -

Very sorry, of course, to hear about the calf. I have done a number of things to my calves over the years, but the type of popping you decribe is not in my repetoire. It sounds like it's been a slow recovery, but hopefully you will be ready for the HITS race on December. Man, that's one of the huge benefits of living where you live -- a race scene that allows many more opportunities for redemption!

My season was screwy, with the hip impingement getting intense in about April and causing me to wonder if I would have ANY decent season at all. I did three "throwaway" races up here, two duathlons in May and a dopey sprint about June 11. I then didn't race again until West Point on Aug. 14, but followed that with an oly a week later, then Nation's (sans swim) on 9/11, then two in Buffalo on the 24/25, and two in NJ last weekend. So that's seven for USAT rankings purposes, but two of them -- West Point (bike wipeout) and the Buffalo oly (2-minute "Position" penalty) -- won't count for anything helpful.

So, it was a late-breaking season.....and now it's over. I am still very pleased with my bike and run speed, especially in light of sporadic training from April on, but durability remains a concern. I have a big hankering to continue doing some longer stuff.....but I don't really trust my body to handle the volume required. This is something I have to work through, to be sure.

That's my nutshell, and it is wonderful knowing yours. Don't be a stranger, Neil!

2011-10-12 6:54 PM

User image

Expert
Bethesda, MD/Northern NJ

Steeeeve -

Finally went to the podiatrist tonight. The met-heads have really been bothering me lately, and flared up something awful at the LBI 18-miler on Sunday.  I went from just general numbness and tingling, to full on burning and sharp pain when I put my foot down. It made me grimace, which it never did before.  I guess you know the feeling, but it was just awful, and I almost didn't finish. At one point at mile 15, I thought I'd just have to stop running and take my shoe off. It was not good.

Sooo, I decided to seek out a new, sports-oriented podiatrist.  The doctors I went to are actually the team podiatrists for the Jets! Cool, huh? Anyway.

She took one look at my foot, and my x-rays, and said she's nearly certain its a Morton's Neuroma...

She gave me a cortisone injection, said it should get me through marathon season.  Wants me to keep a log of pain, and then come back after marathon season so we can develop a more proactive treatment approach. She said that since it's been going on for so long (I've had tingly/numbness since 2007 at this point?), she's concerned that there may be more scar tissue in there than normal. Greatttt....

Anyway, she wants me to do some research - her two treatment suggestions (if the cortisone doesn't resolve it) are either "alcohol sclerosing injections" or "radio frequency nerve ablation."

I know you have this and eventually had surgery.  Can you talk me through your experiences and thoughts?

Boo!! On the upside, she did a good job with the cortisone injection - not like the guy who did my ITB injection a few years ago. She was very careful, and kept asking for feedback on where it was going, etc.

On the downside, it hurts right now! She said I'll be ready to run again Friday, and can do a long run this weekend. I had been planning on Green Mountain Marathon this weekend, but will see how I feel. Entry for that was only $30, so not the end of the world if I bail.

Edited by ThatGirl 2011-10-12 8:11 PM
2011-10-12 10:32 PM
in reply to: #3721812

User image

Champion

JESS -

Oh, yeah, I had a big neuroma problem; good memory!

Mine surfaced in about March '05, and initially it was a sense of fatigue in the index and middle toes. Well, fatigues bordering on soreness. It then morphed into shooting pains out into the spece between those two toes, but affecting the right one a bit more. My sprorts doc concluded it was a neuroma, but when it's between the 2nd and 3rd it is rtechnically a Heuter's neuroma; Morton's is between 3 and 4 (middle and ring toes; is that yours?).

Names aside......a neuroma is no fun, and I found it tough to deal with. I too had a few cortisone shots, but none of them helped much; it might be becaudse the neuroma was too well-formed by then, even though it hadn't aggravated me previously. I managed it, more or less, through the use of metatarsal pads that I could tape to my insole (sock-liner), and those helped to a point. In fact, I had a pretty aggressive and decent season in '05, so whatever I did worked well (enough).

My main symprom was those shoting zaps of electric pain. I never had the burning problem except......

At The Canadian Iron in early Sept., I was about halfway through the run when the burning started. I ahd read that soemthing that might help with this is to vigoropusly massage the botom of the foot, right beneath the neuroma, and that's what i did -- stopped, took off the shoe, and rubbed really hard. I did this for less than a minute, put the shoe back on, continued running, and finished with no more burning. And, in fact, i never experienced that widespread burning again.

That was my last race of the season, and as fall progressed I was more and more bothered by the zaps; I didn't think it could get worse, but it did. I went to a couple of podiatrists, settled on one, and she worked with it for a couple of months, eventually mentioning the ida of having it removed (I might have initiated that discussion). At any rate, we agreed that that would be the tack to take, and on Jan 11 '06 I had it removed.

That was a very wise decision.....but I wouldn't recommend to you just yet. First, you have a string of techniques to try first, and second, you have an off-season coming up that will enable you to deal with it without outside pressures. Also, what she removed was really quite big, and maybe you've caught yours in time and can tame it, or treat it into submission.

I had the A.C.I. done, too, but not the R.F.N.A. I think that is a new treatment, and I think I read about it about a year ago, and I think it sounded very promising. In fact, i think I saved the article somewhere, because every so often I wonder if I'm developing one in my left foot, too!

IF you get to the point of having it removed, PLEASE heed the following -- DO NOT HAVE IT REMOVED FROMN THE BOTTOM. I know two guys who have had removal from the bottom, and recovery was very lengthy, and their foot never worked quite the same again. I had mine done from the top, and while it was a tad messy for a while, it worked well enough to hike around in Mexico about three weeks post-surgery, and I was back swimming and cycling on thr trainer two weeks post-surgery, and I was running when we returned from Mexico.

The long-term side-effects are two -- a little scar that really only I can see, and the permanent loss of about 85% of sensation on the side of each toe as they face each other. (That is, the second toe has full sensation of the sid of the big toe, and the third toe is the same way on the side facing the fourth toe. And, actually, the 3rd toe's loss of sensation is maybe only 50%.) While this was slightly disconcerting for a few months, it soon became the norm.

I am sorry this has affected you, but it can be worked thorugh one way or another. pleaxe keep asking me stuff about it, as I'm sure I haven't said everything there is to say. And if you do Green Mountain -- remember the fierce massage trick!

Finally, Clam Man was a blast. Great people, great little race. I had a good Bassman, too.. More later!

2011-11-03 1:46 PM

User image

Expert
Bethesda, MD/Northern NJ

Alright, thought I'd check in here, since I'm racing Sunday   New York Marathon! I've only waited four years for this race...

I'm excited, but not going into it with any crazy goals. We had a bad winter storm here on Saturday, lost power from Saturday until yesterday, work has been crazy, and I came down with a bad cold this week (of course).  I actually stayed home from work today (first time ever taking a sick day?) in an attempt to sleep this out. I'm feeling a bit better, actually. Also overloading on Vitamin C and tea and homemade chicken noodle soup. Any other tips, Steve?

Heard that they're having problems getting Central Park cleared in time for the race because of all the downed trees from the storm.  I would totally believe it - at least in New Jersey, it looks like a disaster area with all the downed trees.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/nyc-marathon_2011-11-02

At least the current forecast looks perfect: High of 55 and sunny. Yay!

2011-11-03 3:59 PM
in reply to: #3805611

User image

Champion

JESS -

You're doing all the right stuff, and I hope including in there is sleeping to the max, and NO MORE RUNS!! Nothing you do at this point will help you, other than make you feel just a little bit "sharper", and that's not worth it if it puts the four-year dream on the shelf.

For NYCM, you'll have plenty of time to warm up just in those first few miles before some of the congestion clears up. So just cooooooast on into race day, napping plentifully between now and then!

I've read that over 1000 trees in C.P, were destroyed, and - I think i have this right - about 400 acres (?). Maybe those two numbres are twinned, in that those 1000 trees represented the totality of the damage in thsoe 400 acres(?). ANYHOW, what happened was certainly big/vast/massive, and I just hope for your sake (and maybe especially the sakes of the organizers!!!) that things can get straightened away by race day.

Did you do Green Mountains? And if so??

We are now on highspeed......but it has not been a fluid transition. We have to do it via one of those antenna thingies, and on several levels the whole process has been angst-producing. Ack!!

There must be athlete teacking for MYCM, yes? Know what your bib # is?

DON'T FORGET TO CHECK BACK IN POST-RACE (pretty please?)!!

2011-11-06 10:00 PM
in reply to: #3810899

User image

Champion

JESS -

YOU DID IT! The dream realized! Now -- how are you feeling, in all regards??

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

2011-11-07 6:41 AM
in reply to: #3836153

User image

Expert
Bethesda, MD/Northern NJ

stevebradley - 2011-11-06 11:00 PM JESS - YOU DID IT! The dream realized! Now -- how are you feeling, in all regards?? CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Well, that was completely awful. Haha. I still felt sick going into the race - I had cut myself off of cold meds early on Saturday because I read somewhere that its not good to race with them in your system.  Regardless, I knew from the first step that I was still sick and that the day was going to be long - I could not keep my heart rate under control. I couldn't get into a rhythm, and I spent much of the race feeling like I was going to pass out or throw up, or some awful combination of the two It was my most miserable marathon experience to date! The first marathon I've truly considered dropping out of - the only reason (at the time) that I didn't was because I didn't know how I would find Mark and my parents if I didn't make it to the finish line...

Also, I really feel that the New York Marathon is vastly overrated.  Besides being sick, I just did not enjoy that race experience. There were too.many.people.  I was elbow to elbow with other runners the entire way - the course never thinned out.  Also, the spectators were soooo loud - I couldn't hear myself think at all. Maybe I was just cranky from being sick, but I had my ipod on the entire way, and could not hear it at all. Hard to talk yourself through a race when you can't hear yourself think! I would turn a street corner and think to myself "oh, not another band."

The post-race walk through Central Park was also pure torture - my bag was on a truck over a mile from the finish line. People were collapsing left and right, so ambulances would need to get through, meaning we had to stand around like sardines, which put me dangerously close to collapsing myself. Luckily I made it out!

Either way, happy to be done with that! Mostly I am very proud of myself for finishing, given how I was feeling.

And, leave no doubt - NYC is a one and done marathon for me. I'll stick to the smaller races from here on out! (though I guess pretty much any race is a smaller race!)

I'll give that race two things - running over the Verrazano-Narrows was ridiculously cool. And they had good aid stations.

Alright, thanks for the support, Steve Off to hobble to work!

2011-11-08 6:24 AM
in reply to: #3838916

User image

Champion

JESS -

Needless to say, I am so sorry that NYCM was not a memorable race in any positive way. I guess I was hoping that you would've gotten well by race day, and also that the scene would've thinned out enough by, say, mile five, to make it more pleasant, but thinking back on photos i have seen of the race....it's always tight quarters.

I fully empathize with your feelings about the noise, and at Boston in '04 when i came through Kenmore Square (about a mile from the finish and arguably one of the densest concentrations of spectators), I stayed as much in the center of the road as I could, just to be as removed as possible from the constant din (more like a roar!).

Comparing Boston and NY put some perspective on it, as my year at Boston was about 22,000 (I think?), and this year's NY was close to 48,000. Mercy!

BUT! You did it, and now you know, and now you can move on to things that aren't as oppressivley large and a s logistically daunting. And just by comparison, the scene at the Boston finish was much more manageable, with the kind of long walk (but still less than a mile, and maybe more like half a mile) to one's bag being punctuated by lots of food options along the way. How long did it take you to find Mark and your folks??

Apropos of only a small bit here, but I read in the NY Times yeatsreday a piece about a woman who has been the principal at the same school just outside NYC since 1963 -- when the V-N Bridge was still under construction! And, FWIW, even though she won't say her age, she began teaching in 1946; my math says she's about 85. ANYHOW, I mention that just to bring up the V-N Bridge, which sure would be awesome to run over. THAT'S memorable, just in itself!

Two things: how's the neuroma, and what's next for you?

Keep in touch, pretty-please!

2011-11-30 12:38 AM

User image

Master
Steve. I did it. After a year of feeling a bit "empty" with training and racing I figured it was time to get back at it. I registered for Ironman Cozumel Nov 25, 2012. Next on the list is LA13.1 in Jan.
2011-11-30 12:40 AM

User image

Master
Oh and no HITS race for me. The calf is only just now allowing me another attempt at run training.Also getting A.R.T. Once per week as rehab/maintenance

2011-12-09 4:14 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA

hurrah for coz, neil!!!  that's exciting!  what made you pick that one?  i had several friends who did it this year.  times seem fast for sure, although, i did hear that the conditions were tough. 

as for me, no IM on my plate for 2012.  i need a break....although, part of me is already doubting that a little.  i know, though, that it is the right decision.  my short list for my next IM (in 2012, 2013 or 2014) is Arizona, Brazil or Mont Tremblant.  we'll see.  it's still a long way off.

Jess, I'm sorry NY was a bust.  running a marathon while your sick must SUCK.  i just tried to do a trainer ride today with a small head cold and i almost bailed.  a marathon?  blah.  it sounds like you got the NY thing out of your brain now, though. 

steve!!!  how have you been?  injuries still nagging?  i hope not.  how's the family?  life?  updates?!

so, a few things have progressed since getting back from Hawaii.  you may or may not have seen on my blog, i decided to do something completely different for 2012 and joined FeXYs off road elite team.  this is the first year for it, so they waived the usual qualification and instead had open applications.  i applied and was accepted.  i bought a mountain bike and have been cruising in the woods and loving it.  i love the feeling of seeing noticeable improvement everytime i ride.  i was at the point with regular tri that the improvements were coming in smaller steps and just needed a change of scenery.  that, and truthfully, i'm a bit afraid of chasing 2011's results next year.

i think i might actually have a bit of ptsd from kona if that is possible   it used to be a goal that i could get pumped about striving for.  now, though, when i think of it, it is with an element of sadness to it.  like, will i ever be good enough to experience it again.  i hope so.  my coach, scott, says i am in the same Ironman hell he's in.  he qualified for kona in 2008, i think and as been chasing it again ever since.  i can see how it could be very demoralizing.  i think it's good that i'm taking a break because i think if i just kept going and trying to get there again, well, first of all, we'd be broke   ...but also, i can see how it would consume a person. 

i'm going to focus on xterra this year and just try to get a solid base going and see if i can be competitve there.  i put on my application that i'd like to be the first person on our team to qualify for both the IM world champs and the Xterra world champs.  big goals.  we'll see.  right now i'm just having fun.

i did my first cyclocross race last weekend.  that was intimidating, but fun.  i had never practiced and didn't have a cyclocross bike, but i managed second in womens category 4 (beginner) on my mountain bike.  what a completely different environment that is.  i would encourage you to go see one if you have them in your area.  it is completely a spectator sport.  kind of like nascar on bikes.  i'll probably do another one in january. 

what's everyone got stewing for 2012?  any plans? 

i'll try to be better about coming here too. 

love you guys!

lisa

2012-01-17 11:44 PM

User image

Master

it's been over a month.

cant.

let

it

die...

Been so busy the last month or so its been crazy.  Not much in the tri world, althouh the time off has left me to heal up the calf tear, which lasted much longer than I expected.  Still some minor pain and strength issues but it is slowly coming back.

But the real reason I have been so busy is that my wife and I bought a business.  A medical practice with 20 other psychologists.  So now I get a new title to add, that of co owner and CFO.  SO this year should be a hoot!

2012-01-18 7:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm not dead yet either. Still running, but not enough time to do much more. Working very hard to quit my crappy job.
2012-02-10 7:19 AM
in reply to: #3996461

User image

Master
Reston, VA

neil, that is awesome news!  congratulations!  being a business owner is HARD, but so well worth it.  how are things going so far?  what is good (probably also can be bad) is that there are other people involved.  the area where we struggle sometimes is that it's just ryan and i.  that makes it awfully easy to slack a bit more than you would without other accountability, especially on a beautiful friday for biking in tri season  

how 'bout the calf?  making any better progress?

nathan, how's the family?  what specifically is the business you're trying to get moving? 

so, i know you both know, but in case steve jumps back on here, i'll mention it again....

i'm pregnant!  woo hoo.  we had heard a bunch of horror stories about the difficulties a lot of woman have while coming off of endurance sports.  fortunately, it didn't take us long at all.  i'm happy the lava fields didn't appear to roast my eggs   i'm due on 8/21.

i felt pretty tired and crummy the first 7-8 weeks after we found out (at about 4 weeks), but things are getting better quickly.  i've heard the second trimester is the best in terms of how you feel.  in the last week, my energy has returned and i am feeling closer to myself again (for now).  my plans as of right now are to:

run 9 miles of a marathon relay on 2/19.  (george washington birthday marathon)

3/4: the reston 10 miler

I'm still trying to do boston on 4/16.  i've committed to training for the next 3 weeks and to reassess.  if i feel like it's too much, i'll bail.  i'll be 22 weeks along at that time.  i read that the kid will be about the length of a football.  i'm trying to envision running a marathon with that.  yikes.  we'll see.  i'm not sold on it.

MAYBE just maybe do the kinetic sprint tri in early may depending on my size

i'm registered for the columbia tri on 5/20.  that is unlikely, but we'll see as it gets closer.

a local 2 mile lake swim on 5/27

...and then, i'm uncommitted.

OH!  and i've convinced my mother and both brothers to train for a 4 mile run here in reston on mothers day.  i'm really excited about that.  one of my brothers is not very fit, so i really hope this sets off a chain reaction of change in him.

i'm also (probably unreasonably) optimistic that i will be able to participate in the reston oly on 9/9.  that's my hometown race that i do every year, but being due 8/21 will cut it awfully close.  it depends on how things go.  if i'm late, forget it.  if i'm early an have smooth sailing, maybe.  we'll just wait and see.

i'd also really like to try to do a late season half.  I'm thinking maybe beach to battleship.  i wouldn't expect to be fast, i'd just like something to kick start myself back into shape for 2013.

we'll see.  that all may just be crazy talk.  maybe i'll just sit at the pool in the summer and get fat.

what's everyone else up to? 

anyone here from steve lately? 

talk soon!

lisa

2012-02-11 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3919967

User image

Champion

GANG!!!!!!

This is the first time I have checked here in over two months, and I assumed no activity. WRONG! (One of the few time si have ever been happy being wrong!)

I'm off now on a rare-ish run, and I'll be here to respond in an hour or two.

NEIL!

NATHAN!!

LISA!!

So great to see you all still here!

JESS -- Might you be at the bottom of the previous page??

2012-02-11 2:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Steve, good to see you too

Lisa,

Day job is a director for an Ad Agency in St. Pete. The business I'm building is a software business. Our flagship project is called ignitiondeck (http://ignitiondeck.com) and while it's making decent money, it's not quite enough for me to quit my job. We also have a few iphone and android apps, but it's hard to handle it all at the same time, so we're taking it slow. That said, as soon as our house is built in May, I may make the jump.

Family is great, though our youngest (2 in March) is still quite the handful and making me feel very much like an old man. My daughter had her first sleep over last night, and it's so crazy to watch them grow up. 

And congrats to you! That is awesome. Having kids is such a blessing, and even though it definitely limits free time, with your spirit I'm sure you'll be just fine.

2012-02-11 7:06 PM
in reply to: #4042120

User image

Champion

GANG again!

Even though there's "only" the three of you here.....I don't know where to begin! I really had given this group up for dead, figuring you had all gone on to bigger and better things, or at least excitingly differenter things. And maybe that IS the case --- but if you all plan to periodically/sporadically drop in here, i sure will as well. Deal??

I'll give a longer counting of myself later, but for now it'll just be snippets. It's been a hectic few months, but mostly quite good -- Christmas in NYC with Jane and her fiancee, and our Peter there, too; a 2.5-week vacation in northern California; the start of a new mentor group; a few burgeoning non-tri interests; gearing up for Lynn's retirement on the 28th; a leaking dog; and so on.

As for tri........trying to keep my head in it. The hip impingement is still an issue, and a $400 injection in mid-Dec ended up doing nothing. I'd be better with $40/per cortisone injections, but of course they cary side effects so i am limited to how many I have. This all is messing with my head, as I'm not sure how the hip will devolve. Basically, i'm afraid to find I am honing in on being triathically debilitated or something, so I am disinclined to work too hard at it; it's been a pretty slack off-season.

Part of that, too, is just being tired -- too many years of training too hard, methinks. Heck, I'm not even buying all thr tri mags, these past couple of months! I'm sure this will all pass (as long as I can return to decent training and remain roughly injury-free.....), but for now I'm just in a tri funk and have no real idea where the season will take me. I doubt it will have a half-iron in it (second year in a row), but I know I can merrily race olys and sprints until the cows come home. And I don't think there will be many races, just because I am still working diligrnetly to become less of a money-pit for Lynn. Our advisor insists we are fine, and Lynn really doesn't seem to be worried, but I just feel it's high time I became a bit more responsible about tri-related expenses.

Blah, blah, BLAH!

(It will be intersting, however, to see how well my big old Base can withstand all my relative inactivity on the bike and with the run. It'll be great if I can still race well, having taken such a laizzez-faire attitude towards training for 2-3 months! )

ONWARDS!!!

2012-02-11 7:07 PM
in reply to: #4042444

User image

Champion

But first ---- is everybody else's page white, with no borders between posters? Anyone know why that is?? This reply box looks normal, but the actual page is very odd. i feel discombobulated!

2012-02-11 7:19 PM
in reply to: #3996461

User image

Champion

NEIL -

Nope, won't let it die!

I thought about you lots while we were in CA, but the furthest south we got was Pinnacles Nat Mon, and there never was a hope of getting any where even remotely close to LA. But we are fixing to go back in Dec, and that will likely involve a southern CA component, so I'm hoping we can get together at that point. You think?

Sorry to hear about the persistence of the calf tear, and I hope it gets fully resolved soon. They can be gnarkly thinsg, but nothing that decent rest doesn't cure, and fully at that. Are you still kinda sorta on target for Cozumel? That's still about nine months away, so even if you can't get back into full gear before April (heaven forbid), that'll still give you enough time to re-establish your base and be ready for that warm, salty swim and the land-play that will follow it. No problem!

Huge congrats on having your own business!! That must suit both of you really well, as you are no longer someone else;s slave, and she has 20 other psychologists to interact with. Sounds very wonderful, almsot like a dream come true, maybe? Are there any downsides to it, other than perhaps a bit of a repsonsibility to a whole staff....or is most everyone kind of self-sufficient, but ubnder the same umbrella. As for your title -- I'm impressed! I gassho in your general direction!

2012-02-11 7:28 PM
in reply to: #4042145

User image

Champion

NATHAN -

Nice to hear the new company is growing well, and your family doing well along with it, and that before too long you might be able to swimg away from the ad agancy job. You referred to it as "crappy a post or so ago, but at least the raw description sounds okay; "director" is almost always a good thing, isn't it?

Congrats on keeping as active as you can, given all those other repsonsibilities. In fact, in light of thsoe you are doing well tyo be doing anything other than spousing and parenting, and working, and developing a new career. That all displays a great deal of discipline and priority-following, which in turn will help you when (and it is just a matter of [uncertain] time!) you get a chance to devote more of your attention to the endurance stuff.

In the meantime, enjoy every moment of your kids and their early-years lives. It practically brought a tear to my eye to read about your daughter's first sleep-over, especially since we have recently been going through Jabe's room and finding all kinds of stuff from when she was a wee sprout herself. Those days never return, of course, so you need to (a) take lots of photos, (b) build strong memory skills, and (c) cherish every one of their moments as much as possible. There it is -- a parenting triathlon!

2012-02-11 7:40 PM
in reply to: #4039574

User image

Champion

LISA!!

I am thunderstruck by your wonderful news, as i had no idea. (Maybe I should've paid more attention to FB??) Speaking of that, I DID see yoru post recently about how yoru communications aren't what you wnat them to be, and I have been fixing to write you a bonafide email -- which I will probably still do. If nothing else, i have to thank you for the two great cards from you -- xmas and birthday. They were hugely appreciated, more than you might realize, and I've just been a self-absorbed schmuck to not respond to you before now.

Funny, I was thinking yesterday about Columbia and whether I should sign up for it. i saw both your names on the list, and it seems like a good idea a few ays....but then there are my general qualms that I mentioned above. I also have yet to sign up for Reston, but I fully expect it to be long-filled by now. Maybe '13??

ANYHOW, that is so exciting about the baby, and I'm rally gald that the hooror stories didn't apply to you. Whew!!! When you mentioned many months ago sowemthing like "no luck yet", I was worried that you might be in the legions of endurance women who have struggle to get preganant. But, nooooooooo!!!

the way you are now rethinking your season sounds smart,a nd I agree with all that you say and feel. As for Boston, though, football-kid will be a nice counterweight as you do the descents of some of the course's hills, and if you lean into he/she enough it might help establish momentum on the ascents. Think positive!!

But, yes, I think it can be done, and if anyone can do it, you can. You know that determination thing you have going for you most of the time. Yeah, that!

B2B is a good plan, not crazy-talk at all. two people form the new group are doing it, and then there might be you, and if I fweel my hip can handle training for 56 miles on ther bike, I'd love to do it too. Shall we keep taliking??

Look for an email soon, eh?

Hugs to Ryan, the 40-year old studmuffin!!

2013-01-13 9:19 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA

blast from the past!!!

how is everyone?  i feel like we should have a reunion show!!  

i'm wondering if anyone has their settings set up to get pinged if there is activity here.  if so, how've you been?!  

i think of you all often!!!

oh, and happy birthday to steve!!!!  

2013-01-13 9:24 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA

blast from the past!!!

how is everyone?  i feel like we should have a reunion show!!  

i'm wondering if anyone has their settings set up to get pinged if there is activity here.  if so, how've you been?!  

i think of you all often!!!

oh, and happy birthday to steve!!!!  

2013-01-15 6:00 PM
in reply to: #4576724

User image

Champion

LISA -

And you're here, too; halleloo!

A "reunion show" would be great, and I constantly feel badly that this group just sort of withered away.  That said, though, having done a few more groups after this one (MY FIRST!!!!!!!!!!Kiss) (Surprised)...........they all wither away in time.

When we began to wither, we were:

• Lisa
  • Neil
  • Jess
  • Mindy
  • Nathan
  • me

Is that it?  Rather than miss someone who should be obvious i should maybe go back a buncha pages and see who all reported for duty in those final couple of months.....but I'll allow laziness to rule and just hope my memory is decent!Undecided

I visit FB about once every six weeks, literally, and generally do nothing much more than scroll and skim.  But I see Neil there frequently, and Lisa is mostly ubiquitous, and Jess pops up from time to time, but....but....but......

I'm "evaluating" the upcoming season, wondering wehat all i might not do.  I am just very tired and unmotivated, and dearly need a big chunk of time off -- I think.  There are also a few things we want to do this year, and money might best be spent on those -- I think.   So, I am considering training moderately and racing scantly, just to keep in okay enough shape so that i can plunge back into it in '14, whn I am in 65-69.  That seems like a viable paln, moving fortward -- I think.

My torn hip labrum is unoperable, meaning it isn't wise at this stage to have a repalcement.  it might never be, in fact, as overall the hip is fine -- except for the 25% or so of the left labrum that is missing.  So, the plan is to just keep carrying on, modifying my activity and managing whatever pain surfaces.    While that sounds okay enough, it is odd that, for the first time, I have an "injury" for which there is no hope of it ever getting better.  Needless to say, probably, but i have always worked through my myriad injuries....but not this time.  Cause for pause, eh?

I'm still mentally recovering from totalling my car in the process of totally a deer on Nov 18.  I walked away, but I'm still pretty leery about driving during those crepuscular times when deer are active -- and here in the country, they are also very abundant.   I'm not a basket-case, but just less smitten with driving.  Bah.

Got a new car last week, though, a Honda Fit.  They are incredibly roomy, and you need to look into the back when the seats are folded up to appreciated how easily it can accommodate TWO bikes.  And good on gas, too!

Well, this may've been silly, as no one is likley to be here.  Well, anyhow, my heart's with you all.  I loved you while we wwere operable, and still think about you all, very often.

Bye for now!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » stevebradley's Mentor Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 264