YMCA of Henderson County
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 8s
Overall Rank = 176/428
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 15/32
Pre-race routine:

Got to race at 6:30 - as soon as transition opened up. Set up area - got the end of a rack which made transition area a little bit easier to get in and out of.

At a bagel with peanut butter at 6:30, a banana at 6:45 and drank 22 oz of accelerade between 7 and 7:30.

Had too much time between arrival and race start time (9:00).
Event warmup:

Swam a half dozen laps just before the swim started.
Walked about 2 miles to loosen up.
Swim
  • 06m 1s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Way too many people not seeding themselves properly. Clogged everything up and made things really hard to get around in. Pool was good, though.
Transition 1
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

spent too much time trying to make decisions on what to put on - long sleeve shirt or just singlet . . . then put shirt on backwards . . . couldn't decide on bike gloves or not
What would you do differently?:

Know for certain what I was going to wear - morning started out really cool, but warmed up fairly quickly - need to make that decision right about the time they close transition area.
Bike
  • 47m 44s
  • 14.36 miles
  • 18.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was pretty good. I could have gone a bit harder. The wind was terrible - made things really challenging, especially on the way in.

Stay more in aero. Eat a bar as soon as I got on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Again, too much indecision - not sure what to do about shirt since it had warmed up even more.

Know what I was going to do clothing-wise. Have a water bottle in transition area I could drink from (not just on the bike).
Run
  • 28m 18s
  • 3.12 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

run was good. kind of parched when I got started - got pretty dehydrated before I got to the water station at the turnaround.

drink more.
Post race
Warm down:

not very good. stood around too long. didn't get a drink soon enough. had a half orange, then some accelerade. Stretched a little bit after that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Improper hydration - needed more water before and during the race.
Nutrition - ate before getting transition area set up. Then waited almost 3 hours before race got started. Was feeling pretty depleted through most of the race - but was afraid to eat when I got hungry on the bike for fear of stomach problem on the run.

Event comments:

Good race. good course. good people. nice way to start the season.

Last updated: 2005-03-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:01 | 300 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/32
Overall: 152/428
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Snake swim Had a couple of sand-baggers or overestimators in the groups ahead of me. Passing on a snake swim is difficult at best. Did manage to pass a person or two. The last couple of lanes were too congested to pass so just had to slow down and follow the others.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:55
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:44 | 14.36 miles | 18.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/32
Overall: 161/428
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: out and back, rolling hills, a couple of moderate climbs. Course was good. Roads were smooth. Well marked, no confusion. Wind was blowing about 25 mph with gusts to 35. Cross winds the entire course, pretty much headwinds on the way back in.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:18 | 03.12 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/32
Overall: 192/428
Performance: Good
Course: nice course, out and back. rolling hills, but nothing with any real grade to it.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-03-13 2:41 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX
Subject: 20th Annual Athens YMCA Triathlon

2005-03-13 4:14 PM
in reply to: #129189

User image

Veteran
Hawkins
Subject: RE: 20th Annual Athens YMCA Triathlon
Oooh, I agree about the swim! I knew something was amiss when they got past the 100th seed and people started getting three to a lane all in the same direction! By the time I got in (263) in was like trying to swim in a bloody washing machine! Forget technique and smooth stroking--I was just trying not to get kicked in the face by the guy in front of me nor deluged with splashing water whenever I came up for breath. (I felt like I swallowed half the pool!) I ended up 1 minute short of my best time (though that best was, of course, in a nice, calm practice pool).

Nothing to add about the bike. The wind was a beast; 'nuff said.

I wish there had been more water on the run section. I hadn't hydrated as much as I'd wanted on the bike (too afraid I'd get blown over by a gust if I let go of the bars!), and I could tell. Also, rookie mistake, I hadn't praciticed the bike-to-run transition, so I was stiff as a board for the first mile--had to walk a lot of it. Live and learn!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 20th Annual Athens YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed