Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-02-25 6:10 PM
in reply to: #1977625

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Abs of a Greek God...?

patchadams - 2009-02-23 3:19 PM Which would you rather have....The abs of the soldiers off of 300 or a greek God?? I vote 300.

and those abs aren't just made in the kitchen..

To get the abs of a greek god, you need to have some decent muscle mass, while being lean.  Not everyone who is lean will have a nice set of abs. 

2009-03-04 10:49 AM
in reply to: #1910911

User image

Expert
Montreal
GordoByrn - 2009-01-15 7:30 PM

If I could give you three things to consider:

#1 -- focus on your nutrition // eat real food, never spike blood sugar, watch carbs outside of training/recovery - more nutrition through the library in the sig file

#2 -- full body shave // body builders do it for a reason

#3 -- don't diet // eat right and train daily

g

:D
So more eating Snickers (a low glycemic index food) and less eating of bean soup. Gotta watch those high glycemic foods like bean soup.

As a diabetic who monitors his blood sugar regularly I can tell you that blood sugar spikes with aerobic exercise - the liver releases more sugar into your system in reaction to the level of activity. At the same time because aerobic activity primarily uses fat as an energy source (as the result of the release of growth hormone while exercising) - the sugar released by the liver does not get used up but stays in the blood stream. NEVER spiking your blood sugar would equal leading a lifestyle which did not involve aerobic workouts. NEVER spiking blood sugar is just not an option if you are an endurance athlete.
2009-03-04 12:49 PM
in reply to: #1904279

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!

VeganMan - 2009-01-13 9:36 AM  

Weightlifting will help aid in the creation of lean muscle which can also help you retain weight. You might consider compound exercises that utilize your core. But in the end, a 6-pack is made in the kitchen not in the gym.

X10... yes, you must work your core, but this the truest of statements... your nutrition is key to bringing out the ripped abs.

Edited by Tri_n_2_b_fast 2009-03-04 12:51 PM
2009-03-04 12:57 PM
in reply to: #1923405

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!

jsoza - 2009-01-22 4:25 PM I just shaved my entire body and I am not seeing any abs yet.

Dude, LMAO!  My minds eye is blinded!

2009-03-04 5:51 PM
in reply to: #1902826

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

sadly, most of the good greek god spots are taken. I'm pretty sure Heracles, Dionyses and Menelaus got the last spots of that deal...

The rest of us will have to settle for being in extremely good mortal shape.

2009-03-05 8:48 PM
in reply to: #1918542

User image

New Haven, CT
lisac957 - 2009-01-20 3:19 PM
GordoByrn - 2009-01-15 7:30 PM
If I could give you three things to consider:
#2 -- full body shave // body builders do it for a reason

This made me LOL! How exactly will this get him the abs of a greek god? And, do you recommend this for the ladies?

Hopefully not too many of the laddies need to shave their stomach. 

OP- don't forget GENETICS.  if you weren't meant to have abs it will be difficult to get them.

2009-03-13 10:40 AM

User image

Veteran

Genetic  is subjective. Wink

Edited by EleK 2009-03-13 10:41 AM
2009-03-16 7:33 PM

User image

Carrollton, TX

Some people are definitely predisposed to have more lean bodies.  Also, age plays a factor, because it was a lot easier for me to maintain a lean profile when I was younger.  Anyway, I think the 3 takeaways from this discussion is to lift weights as a previous poster suggested, this tricks the body into keeping muscle.  We all know, more muscle->more calories burned at rest.  Keep up the cardio as well, but make sure it is at low HR so the body will burn more fat rather than in the anaerobic zone where the body just burns up glycogen. 

Of course, maintaining a good diet/nutrition or what have you helps, although when I was younger, I could stay lean and nearly had a 6 pack without even trying, yet I ate whatever the heck I wanted.  So I don't even think nutrition is necessarily a must.   I did play a lot of basketball though back then, so I'm sure that helped with maintaining a cut look.   I would just not recommend trying to do too much too quickly, for instance, cutting back too far on calories will only make your body angry, and it will want to retain fat even more, since that is what holds the most calories.  It is my opinion that doing these things over a significant amount of time will net you some results.  As with all great things, they won't come overnight though.

Btw- I'm much like you now, I'm 5'10" and around 150.  I carry my weight pretty well, I have a more muscular build, but I also noticed that I've gained weight in the midsection area over the years.  It's a lot harder than it used to be to get lean, but I have noticed when I lift it is easier to get more cut.  When I don't lift because I'm doing so much s/b/r training due to time constraints, I notice my body fat slowly rises... that may just be my body's way of adapting to what I am throwing at it.

2009-03-30 6:52 AM

User image

Tyler,

it's not rocket science....

1) genetics

2) diet

3) cardiovasucular activities

4) strength training/core

Bold means the most important that will effect this.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Abs of a Greek God...? Rss Feed  

of 2