General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race planning question - dogs or no dogs? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-13 8:34 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: Race planning question - dogs or no dogs?
I'm involved in planning a 5k Run/2 mile Walk event in a couple of months (a fund-raising event). Someone asked the other day if dogs would be allowed in the walk. This is an issue we hadn't considered yet.... We want this to be a fun, family-oriented event, and allowing dogs might enhance the "family" aspect, but I'm not sure if it's wise from a liability perspective. I would love to hear the opinions of anyone who has been involved in race planning, or just your opinion as a participant. Dogs or no dogs?

All of us involved are in agreement with no dogs on the run, but we're trying to decide if they should be allowed for the walk. The run and walk will follow the same general course, but the runners should be finished before the walkers, and except for some of the slowest runners, they shouldn't be on the course at the same time. I'm most concerned about possibile liability issues if someone were to get bitten, tripped up by a leash, etc...

Thoughts??

Edited by jsnowash 2009-01-13 8:41 AM

2009-01-13 8:55 AM
in reply to: #1904093

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Race planning question - dogs or no dogs?

If you have any sort of liability coverage, then it is a question you need to ask your insurance carrier (same thing with MP3's and strollers).

But ...... if there is a walking portion, then I wouldn't see any reason not to allow it as long as you start the walkers a few minutes after the runners to allow the crowd to dissipate a bit.

2009-01-13 9:15 AM
in reply to: #1904147

User image

Lafayette, CO
The jingle bell run I did a couple of weeks ago did a run wave, a runners with dogs wave and a walk wave.  Although if you have fast runners with dogs they will pass the slow pokes running like me.  I don't mind the dogs but I understand the concern.  I agree, ask your insurance carrier. 
2009-01-13 10:40 AM
in reply to: #1904093

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I think if you allow dogs on the walk, they should also be allowed on the run. If I wanted to run with my dog, the rule wouldn't make any sense to me.

2009-01-13 11:22 AM
in reply to: #1904147

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Daremo - 2009-01-13 9:55 AM

If you have any sort of liability coverage, then it is a question you need to ask your insurance carrier (same thing with MP3's and strollers).

But ...... if there is a walking portion, then I wouldn't see any reason not to allow it as long as you start the walkers a few minutes after the runners to allow the crowd to dissipate a bit.

+1 x 100000 and I will add....dogs on leash....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race planning question - dogs or no dogs? Rss Feed