General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting a "hill" bike - and afraid I won't ride my new Cervelo p2c! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-14 9:27 PM

Master
Subject: Getting a "hill" bike - and afraid I won't ride my new Cervelo p2c!

I can't believe I'm posting this - but I am...

I bought an awesome Cervelo P2C 5 months ago. It rocks. I was going to have this be the be-all end all of my bike buying, even though it was my first road or tri bike. I thought I'd train like I do on running - mostly long solo rides on "typical" roads.

However, I'm finding now that I'm loving loose group riding, and one day hope to be able to ride with a paceline. Also, I'm finding that here in LA, the greatest bike routes go through and over the Santa Monica mtns. I consider myself a true "HTFU" kind of rider, but wow, I'm getting punished on the weekend group rides with average inclines of 6-8% and regular stretches of 10-15%. The 53-39/12-25 noncompact Cervelo TT gearing, aerobars, and positioning is simply not great for those inclines unless you're really, really strong. Last Saturday, I was doing 50rpm for nearly 40 minutes straight, and dying the entire way up. (The Cat3/4 guys dropped me good!)

I'm 95% ready to pull the trigger on this bike from Nashbar: 

MONGOOSE (!) Koppenberg

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=600065&subcategory=60001001&brand=&sku=24171&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat:%20Road%20Bikes

The frame is actually identical (manufacturing dies purchased by Mongoose and rebadged) to the ones that the Kinese Pro Team used in prior years in the European pro circuit, per some other bike forum posts. The size seems right, as I'm 5'4", and X-small would work (51cm). It's $650 on sale now for 105 components and carbon frame! "Koppenberg" is the name of a 22% nasty, nasty cobbled hill in Belgium that flattens many pro riders; this bike has compact cranks and a 50 front cog, I think aimed specifically at making hill climbing easier - exactly what I'm looking for. The Mongoose Bosberg was the big-brother (but was sold mostly in Europe) with the same frame.

I was hoping this bike would sell out so I wouldn't have this dilemma, but now I think I may "HAVE" to buy this bike since it's such a great deal.

So for anyone out there:

1) Convince me NOT to buy this $650 on-sale bike please! I've been looking for a reason to NOT buy it, but I'm having a really hard time!

2) For all you folks with a TT and road bike, did you stop using your TT bike once you got the road bike? I'm honestly afraid that I won't be riding my Cervelo much anymore, since all the weekend rides I do are group-oriented (not paceline) and hilly, where the standard roadbike would be much more welcome and more efficient on hills.

Edited by agarose2000 2009-01-14 9:38 PM

2009-01-14 10:21 PM
in reply to: #1908631

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: RE: Getting a "hill" bike - and afraid I won't ride my new Cervelo p2c!

Willis, I'm not familiar with the particular bike other than reputation, but why not just 'slacken' the angles of the Cervelo a bit?  Get some cheap road bars and brifters and a different stem.  Push that seat BACK on the rails, swap cassettes and presto/chango, a road bike that is 'doable' on the hills.  And it only cost you around $150.00.   Good Luck!

OR-Buy the new bike.  $650 for 105 group stuff is pretty good.  Studies have shown that the formula to determine the correct number of bikes you should own looks, mathmatically like this.....

If X= number of bikes you own now, then...X+1=correct number of bikes.

Edited by jeffnboise 2009-01-14 10:25 PM
2009-01-14 10:30 PM

User image

Westchester, NY
Subject: RE: Getting a "hill" bike - and afraid I won't ride my new Cervelo p2c!
Well to be honest its not unusual to have both a TT Bike and a road bike. specifically for the reason you have said. On hilly rides a road bike may be better. For solo type rides and for races I use the TT bike. Each bike has its purpose.
2009-01-14 11:12 PM

Master
portland, or
During the winter I ride my road bike(s) exclusively. I'll ride my tri bike for the first time in a short TT in Feb. and then start doing more riding on it in March and by May will ride it 80-90% of the time.

I'm not familiar with the bike you're looking at, and frankly I'm a bit jaded about bikes so my opinion on the bike you're looking isn't worth much.

If you want to stick to your TT full time, you could just put a compact crankset on it. I ride compacts on all of my bikes, and am of the opinion that most AG triathletes should do the same.

scott
2009-01-14 11:49 PM

User image

Cheaper to put a compact.   Cheaper still to put a 12/27.  As Daremo said in the other thread, you won't necessarily be going faster with a compact, just spinning higher.   So I am not sure the new bike is a panacea to make you keep up with your buddies.

IMHO, there's nothing wrong with climbing for a while at 50 rpm in a training ride.  

But if you've got the $$ to spare, a new bike is always good.  No opinion on the bike.

Would I do it?  nope.  I'd buy a Specialized Tarmac

ETA I ride a Litespeed tri bike up those same hills.  Not sure what the aero bars have to do with it, since I don't climb in aero , gearing can be fixed with compact and/or 12/27.  Fit is a bit differentthan a roadie, but I am not convinced that is what's keeping you from keeping up.  I think it's more time /experience in the saddle.   That's just MHO though

Edited by ChrisM 2009-01-14 11:51 PM
2009-01-15 12:59 AM

Master

I agree with the helpful points above - thanks. I'm aware that I will likely derive no speed benefit from going to easier gearing. I will, however, probably would be able to ride some of those hills (up to Saddle Peak Rd for example) without needing to go all-out and dying near the top. In my current state, I'm actually afraid to ride up that route unless I'm in peak form - it's wayyy too hard for me on my 12-25.

I like the idea of going 12-27. That extra gear will probably help me a LOT; I'm on the 25 for pretty much the entire steeper hill climbs around here, so I suspect the 27 would get serious use from me.

I think I may need to "go cyclist" for awhile to get a lot better, although my x-over ability from running is definitely helping me big time. As is, even with my mashing, I easily dropped all non-cat riders on the last long hill climb, but the 10 cat racers in front were totally out of my league. I was toast after 3 hrs, but those 10 guys went on to do 40 more equally hilly miles. Yowzas. 

2009-01-15 4:16 AM

User image

Expert
London, UK

Personally I think it would be morally wrong to persuade you NOT to buy a new bike . It looks like a great deal too. And you will still ride your Cervelo in races and probably on some flatter training rides. However, if you find yourself not riding it, PM me and I'll be happy to take it of your hands......

2009-01-15 7:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX (Valley Ranch area)
That roadie looks like quite a bargain. Personally, I don't know what I would do without my roadie. I use it almost exclusively for group rides and bike rallys. For me ...
50% - Tri Bike
30% - Road Bike
15% - Fixed Gear
5% - Mountain Bike

... now if only my wife would let me try cycle-cross.
2009-01-15 7:55 AM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY

If you buy that bike and like it, you'll only want to upgrade to a kick a$$ road bike worthy to park next to your Cervelo.  I'd recommend saving your ducats for a bike you lust after, especially since you seem to really enjoy riding with the roadies and will soon be able to hang with them on rides.

Get a 12-27 and try it out.  Still not enough? Get a compact.  You can always sell the parts later on and end up with a minimal outlay for this stopgap measure until you get a road bike.

2009-01-15 8:03 AM
in reply to: #1909060

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Well, I'd never tell anyone not to add another bike to their stable!  You can never have enough of them in my opinion (I had 7 at one time).

And the idea of an inexpensive roadie is certainly not a bad thing.

But will you be able to climb better with it?  Looks as if the gearing is right where your P2 is, so in that case probably not.  Would you be better served changing out your gearing on your tri bike?  Probably.

Again ........ an extra bike is not a bad thing!!!  And if you are doing more road riding and even .... gasp .... get the thought in your head to do a road race or a crit. then having a road bike is a must!

My only concern is the size ...... I know you talked about that in your thread in the Gear forum.

2009-01-15 8:06 AM
in reply to: #1909060

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

If you enjoy group rides, get the road bike.  It's a better choice for riding in a tight group since you want to stay out of aero anyway.  Having the drops as an option (in addition to the different gearing and all that) is useful. 

Then again, I'm like some others and have several bikes.  I love my road bike best, it's easily the most comfortable. But I bought a tri-bike last summer and use it for solo rides and races.  I have a new single speed I'm looking forward to riding for casual, short, jaunts and it's infinitely "cooler".  I also have a beater that I rode mostly for commuting, because I didn't care if it got stolen and it has racks and other commuter-friendly parts.  If you can afford it, new bikes are always a good thing.

2009-01-15 9:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
If your P2C is a 51cm; then I think your best bet is to sell it to me, and then buy the new bike
2009-01-15 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
I've got two bikes.. I'd switch off riding them more if I had two sets of pedals. Its fun having two bikes. Trust me, you'll keep riding the Cervelo.
2009-01-15 10:01 AM

Expert
Do you have $650 cash laying around? I hate to sound like a father, but if you can buy this bike with the extra cash in your checking account, then do it. If you're going to stick it on a credit, or not payoff a credit bill because you'll be spending that money on the bike instead, then don't buy it. Someone had to say it. I know your finances are absolutely, postiively none of our business, but that would be my advice.

There will always be bikes on sale. You sound like a savvy shopper -- you'll find a deal whenever you want.
2009-01-15 10:11 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

As someone with 5 bikes, I am not the right person to ask.  My wife pointed out I was 2 bikes short of having a different bike for each day of the week.

When I told her she just gave me permission to buy 2 more bikes, she back pedaled at an impressive rate!

Back on topic, if riding a road bike is fun for you, go for it.

2009-01-15 10:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

:::Looks in garage::: I'm in the philosophy of if you use them, you can never have to many bikes!

2009-01-15 10:18 AM

Master

Well, I emailed Nashbar, and they recommended a small size for me on that bike - and the only size left available is the x-small. Rather than risk it, I'm going to pass on this otherwise ungodly good deal and probably get a 12-27 for climbing. 

It's amazing how fast these bikes multiply, though! I've already got a mtn bike/commuter, and my Cervelo. If I add a road/hill bike and a fixie, that would be 4. I'm going to try to keep it simple for now though - well, until I move into a bigger place! Fortunately, my finances are good, but I do find it really, really hard to pass up spectacular bargains on great hardware like this one. 

2009-01-15 1:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

You can never have too many bikes...no really. Don't have too many bikes, draw the line at three...okay, maybe four, if you commute too.

A road bike is, some would say an essential addition, especially if you are doing roadie group rides....However! riding more of your tri bike will make you a better rider on your tri bike. Hills should not be a problem. Get a freewheel/cogset with a 27-tooth cog.

I rode my Cervelo Dual and some friends rode their P2Cs through the Canadian Rockies during a three day 110km/day ride. Perfect training for Ironman Canada.

Yes, of course road bikes have the advantage on the hills, but think about who was smiling more when we were riding uphill against the wind!

Oh, and on the mountains the roadies were most greatful and obliging to have the tri-riders pull more than their share on the paceline.

You can still do paceline on a tri bike, just stay off the aerobars and try not to make the roadies nervous... 

2009-01-16 11:54 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
You could always have a BT raffle for your P2 8). .....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting a "hill" bike - and afraid I won't ride my new Cervelo p2c! Rss Feed