General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first experience with strength training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-15 1:29 PM

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
Subject: My first experience with strength training

Last october, during my off-season, I decided to give it a try a start a well planned training in the gym with weight, following Friel' bible. I collected several suggestions from you here and I started. I am now at the second last week of Maximu Strength phase and 7 weeks away from Rome marathon, A race.

I was skeptical at beginning but I achieved during this period my best half marathon time of 1h18' (beginning of december) and I did several best time on 12k or shorter races.

I lost few pounds and I am able now to push unbelievable weights (unbelievable for me...) in squat and seated row.

I am 67kg more or less and I push 115kg in squat 4x6 times and 70kg on seated row for 5x6.

Believe me: the tale of "going to weight training, getting some pounds of muscles" is really misleading. I am less bulky than before and I push high weights for my standard. I am much faster on running.

All these effects can not be demonstrated of course that are due to weights but...let's see!

2009-01-15 2:37 PM
in reply to: #1910147

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: My first experience with strength training
Great update! I agree with you that it is hard to determine what exactly improved your run times. Here's the thing: even if weight training indirectly helped to improve your run, then it still helped. For instance, if weight training helped you lose some fat (and often people find that adding in weights will help with fat loss), and losing the fat and being lighter helped you run faster, then weight lifting certainly played an indirect role in making you faster.
2009-01-15 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1910344

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
Subject: RE: My first experience with strength training

MikeTheBear - 2009-01-14 9:37 PM Great update! I agree with you that it is hard to determine what exactly improved your run times. Here's the thing: even if weight training indirectly helped to improve your run, then it still helped. For instance, if weight training helped you lose some fat (and often people find that adding in weights will help with fat loss), and losing the fat and being lighter helped you run faster, then weight lifting certainly played an indirect role in making you faster.

Well I lost some pounds for my new diet I followed and for sure for weight trainings togheter but now, after the marathon, I will start a new cycle with weights starting again from AA phase but it will be for the triathlon season! Let's see!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first experience with strength training Rss Feed