General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike and Bike Shop Recommendations Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-01-17 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI
Subject: Bike and Bike Shop Recommendations

Was wondering if anyone could recommend a good bike shop in the Detroit Metro area.  I'll be buying my first triathlon bike so I'll want to be properly fitted. 

Also, if anyone can give me some recommendations on a good first bike I'd appreciate it.  Reading the gear reviews it looks like the consensus is either Felt or Cervelo.  I'd like to keep it under $1000, but I'm not sure if I'm just dreaming on that one

2009-01-17 11:11 AM
in reply to: #1913736

User image

Veteran
Gibraltar Michigan USA
Subject: RE: Bike and Bike Shop Recommendations

You really can't beat the cervello.  I would suggest that if you are only looking to spend 1G you may want to look at used wheels, you will not get much of a Tri bike for 1G.  As for me, I saved up some cash and waited till I had enough to buy the bike I wanted and would still want in a few years.

Either way, I really suggest that you go to several LBSs and talk to each of them about their process of fitting.  Make sure you ask about how much time they spend during the fit and what type of experience and equipment they have to make sure it is right.  One think I have noticed is that experience weighs much higher then the technology they use.  For instance, I went to one shop who had just about every high tech device made to fit you to your bike, but the fitter was fresh out of school, and to one who only had a trainer and a mirror and a group of fitters who have been fitting pros for several years.  I feel that I got a better fit from the shop with the mirror and a ton of experience.

Above all, make sure you feel comfortable with the bike shop.

Eric

2009-01-17 6:17 PM

Extreme Veteran
Bikesportmichigan.com Bike sport Michigan is located in Dearborn on Mich. Ave. People actually fly from other countries (no not just Canada but even over the big pond) to get fit by Tom.

2009-01-17 6:27 PM

User image

Two Wheel Tango in Ann Arbor has a great selection like some other places mentioned.  However, even better than the selection, is the fact that your bike will arrive when they tell you it will, instead of MONTHS later, or perhaps never.  You will also receive a very thorough, and professional bike fitting.
2009-01-17 7:10 PM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI

TWT and Bikesport are both FIST fit certified.  This is a plus.  However, with your budget, you may want to check out a store in Fenton.  Its called Sunrise Bike and Boards.  They are catering towards the beginner triathletes and have bikes that are appropriate.  IIRC, they had Dura-Ace or Ultegra equipped Quintana Roos for about $1000.  They also had some treks in that range. 

To be honest, I don't think you'll find a Cervelo for $1000 new.  Used, perhaps.  I think a new Felt S32 is still a bit over $1000.   However, if you can figure out the fit, you could shop around and score a good deal on a used model.

2009-01-18 11:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Gibraltar Michigan USA

Above all, you will be establishing a relationship with the bike shop you select.  Make sure you choose someone you feel comfortable with and someone you will not have a problem going back to to ask every minute question.  All the shops in this thread will give you a great fit but the relationship is the most important thing and can only be judged by you.  On this note, you will definitely want to keep going back to the same shop so they get to know you and how you use the bike.  I have found that a bike fit is not a flick of a switch, there will be several tweaks to the fit as time goes on and as your body adapts to the fit.  You will constantly be striving to get into the ultimate position on the bike.  This all takes time and pain.

Eric

2009-01-18 12:18 PM

I have to second Sunrise in Fenton.  I bought at a place up north, but Sunrise helped me out of a bad fit.  The owner took time to walk me though the store the first time, even thou I did not buy anything.  The six times or so I have been in, I have always been treated great.

Joe

2009-01-18 1:30 PM
in reply to: #1914845

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
triorbonk - 2009-01-18 12:46 PM

I have found that a bike fit is not a flick of a switch, there will be several tweaks to the fit as time goes on and as your body adapts to the fit.  You will constantly be striving to get into the ultimate position on the bike.  This all takes time and pain.

Maybe its how I'm reading this, but if you have to go back more than once for a fitting, then I think you were given a poor fit in the first place.

Just my opinion. 

2009-01-18 1:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI

Thank you all for your recommendations and pointers.  I think I'll be revisiting my budget I've also submitted an online request to BikeSport to schedule a fit for next week.  I'll see how things go there and depending on the experience I'll look at the other ones that have been recommended.

Thanks again.

2009-01-18 2:30 PM
in reply to: #1914983

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
ericcooper - 2009-01-18 2:39 PM

Thank you all for your recommendations and pointers.  I think I'll be revisiting my budget I've also submitted an online request to BikeSport to schedule a fit for next week.  I'll see how things go there and depending on the experience I'll look at the other ones that have been recommended.

Thanks again.

Just my two cents, make sure your schedule after the expected bike fit is wide open because they can't keep on schedule to save their lives.  I had a great experience there once it was my turn but I was seen almost two hours behind my scheduled appointment time.  Coming from GR to the East side of the state I didn't have anything else I could do so I just hung out.

Also, if you decide to buy a bike there, add six weeks to whatever date they give you because timing of inventory and bike builds they can't seem to manage either.

Once all the dust settled and I FINALLY got my bike, they took great care of me and in the end I'd say it was worth all the little (and big) headaches.

2009-01-18 6:24 PM
in reply to: #1915035

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
TriMike - 2009-01-18 3:30 PM
ericcooper - 2009-01-18 2:39 PM

Thanks again.

Just my two cents, make sure your schedule after the expected bike fit is wide open because they can't keep on schedule to save their lives.  I had a great experience there once it was my turn but I was seen almost two hours behind my scheduled appointment time.  Coming from GR to the East side of the state I didn't have anything else I could do so I just hung out.

Also, if you decide to buy a bike there, add six weeks to whatever date they give you because timing of inventory and bike builds they can't seem to manage either.

Once all the dust settled and I FINALLY got my bike, they took great care of me and in the end I'd say it was worth all the little (and big) headaches.

That's a roger, you WILL get a good fit from Tom (not that you wouldn't from TWT or Sunrise, Ii've just seen him put some pretty unique geometries onto the right bikes with excellent fits...I've probably seen him do 20 or 30 of 'em?). Now...here are a couple of ways to manage this fit session:

1) get the first appt in the morning, and let him know you have and end time. The later in the day, the more stuff has gone sideways.  And if that's not feasible, they will come in after shop hours...so you can avoid conflicts by going before or after the shop opens. Just ask. And avoid Saturdays with all your might, it's amazingly busy.

2) tell us (heh) when it is. Some combo of me, Robyn, and Trix will come out and heckle you. It's what we do.

3) throw out your brand expectations, not your budget.   The guy KNOWS bikes and fit. Hell, you might end up on a Kestrel or Cannondale depending on your fit...and they both make EXCELLENT bikes. Don't let the status thing of a felt or Cervelo get into your brain. And for the budget don't forget you're gonna need computer, cages, pedals, and shoes that are not part of the MSRP, or even discounted MSRP, and maybe a seat wedge, bento box, and tools / spare tire stuff.

4) Ask for Tom personally to do the fit. It's worth it.

5) Be sure to ask if he has any prev-year bikes that might fit, too. He's as eager to lose last year's inventory as you are to get the discount.

6) Let him know you're paying attention to the delivery date....there have been instances of delayed delivery, and let him know your expectations are that it gets ordered the second he gets your deposit, and that whenever you call, you should be able to get an up-to-date status.

Other than that, you should end up with a great bike, great fit, at a decent price. Good luck.  

2009-01-18 6:44 PM
in reply to: #1915283

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI

Rick - this is awesome, thanks.  I asked for this Thursday in my email to them - they're supposed to call tomorrow, but I'm thinking I should probably follow up myself.  As for you guys coming out to heckle, that'd be great!  I can actually schedule around you guys - I work out of my house so as long as I'm not traveling, I pretty much set my own hours.  Mornings, though, would have to be after 9 cuz I get my daughter off to the bus at 9.  Don't feel obligated, but I'd like the chance to meet any/all of you and any help you can give this newbie on getting his first bike and equipment would be much appreciated.

2009-01-18 7:00 PM

New user

I've personally had good experiences from BikeSport, (purchase and fitting) but have heard mixed reviews (actually not so good reviews). I also had a very good fitting from Fraser Bike and have not heard negative comments around the water cooler about them. If you're a gambler and don't want to run the risk of having an unpleasant experience I'd put my money on Fraser. I'd check them out.

-Just My $.02
2009-01-19 8:53 AM

User image

Dearborn, MI

Coop,  Tom may actually still be able to get you an S22, they were having some smokin deals towards the end of the year for around $1400.

First the bad:

I had to wait 2 months on mine.  They have all the excuses in the book but I doubt it's all Felt's or Cervelo's fault.  Unfortunatly, ordering and receiving a new bike is not their forte.  Just be very clear up front about your timing expectations.

Now the good:

They are obviously experts at what they do; even a newbie like me could tell that.  Once you have face time with Tom, he will answer all of your questions without making you feel like an idiot and he seems like an honest and genuine person.  You will be treated like gold during your buying/rough fit visit (15 min for initial measurments,) and during your "fit" visit when the bike comes in.  I never felt I was treated any less for buying an entry level bike. Once you have your bike, they will make sure it is right for you.

Keep in mind:

Like mentioned in other replies, the bike is only 1/2 of the cost...if that.  A trainer, pedals, shoes, computer, dorky clothes, etc. etc. etc. will make dead presidets fly quickly.  If this is your first time on a tri bike, everything will feel weird so that's why a fit is important, but it shouldn't keep feeling weird.  eg. I have the stock aero bars on my s22 (almost straight.)  My wrists felt weird but i thought i'd get used to it.  2 weeks later I went down to the store (I live really close so I can do that) and spoke with Tom. He told me to bring in my bike asap and they would make it right by swaping on set of more comfortable extensions.  I haven't done it yet just because I'm lazy but maybe i will this week and schedule something on Thursday for the refit so i can join the peanut gallery and raz you into buying a $10k Cervelo.

Now the really good:

Bikesport is a stone's throw from Cheli's, Baily's, the Post, the Double Olive, BWW's, Crave, and Buddy's.Laughing  Don't waste a trip to Dearborn!

2009-01-19 11:31 AM
in reply to: #1915979

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI
Well, I'm all set up for my fit with Tom at noon this Thursday.  If anyone wants to come in an heckle the new guy you're welcome!
2009-01-19 4:53 PM

Master
Sorry to hijack!  But I have an appointment for Wednesday at 5:30pm at Bikesport if anyone wants to heckle or go out for a drink after. 

2009-01-20 12:13 PM
in reply to: #1914975

User image

Veteran
Gibraltar Michigan USA
matt3liv - 2009-01-18 2:30 PM

I have found that a bike fit is not a flick of a switch, there will be several tweaks to the fit as time goes on and as your body adapts to the fit.  You will constantly be striving to get into the ultimate position on the bike.  This all takes time and pain.

Maybe its how I'm reading this, but if you have to go back more than once for a fitting, then I think you were given a poor fit in the first place.

Just my opinion. 

If you are flexible to be fit into the correct position the first time I am impressed.  A good fitter will put you in the correct position then relax it until it is comfortable.  Well this is at least for 100 mile plus rides.  Then as you grow into the fix you will be able to move closer to the ultimate fit.  This leads back to my post about experience being the indicator of a good tech to fit you.  The tools will tell you what the perfect body position is but experience will tell you to back off to get the most power and comfort during the ride. 

Edited by triorbonk 2009-01-20 12:14 PM
2009-01-20 12:17 PM
in reply to: #1916240

User image

Veteran
Gibraltar Michigan USA

ericcooper - 2009-01-19 12:31 PM Well, I'm all set up for my fit with Tom at noon this Thursday.  If anyone wants to come in an heckle the new guy you're welcome!

Great choice.  Tom is not only a great tech he also is a very successful racer and understands all the different distances and what you need for each.  Good luck and be sure to talk to Tom a lot during the fitting, you will learn so much.

Enjoy your new fit

2009-01-20 12:21 PM
in reply to: #1918238

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
triorbonk - 2009-01-20 1:13 PM
matt3liv - 2009-01-18 2:30 PM

Just my opinion. 

If you are flexible to be fit into the correct position the first time I am impressed.  A good fitter will put you in the correct position then relax it until it is comfortable.  Well this is at least for 100 mile plus rides.  Then as you grow into the fix you will be able to move closer to the ultimate fit.  This leads back to my post about experience being the indicator of a good tech to fit you.  The tools will tell you what the perfect body position is but experience will tell you to back off to get the most power and comfort during the ride. 

I understand your point a little better now.  Thanks for clarifying.  I will add though, that you should be comfortable enough after the first fitting, to ride for at least an hour. 

2009-01-20 2:27 PM

User image

Regular
I have had great luck working with Bikesport. I bought my first road bike there, and as slow as it was, I would never go anywhere else. As soon as I save up enough for my tri bike, I will definitely go back to get it there.

I get all my service done there as well. I just plan extra time in my schedule, and it is actually a pleasant diversion in my normally hectic day.

Matt
2009-01-20 3:48 PM
in reply to: #1918256

User image

Veteran
Gibraltar Michigan USA

Totally agree, but if you are like me.  When I was "Properly fit" I was not very comfortable and could not ride an hour at all.  Then I talked to a couple of other fitters and read a great article in Triathlon mag which talked about fit, where the "Proper fit", while proper may actually hamper the amount of power you can put out and the amount of time you can ride.  I am now very comfortable and getting closer to the "Perfect fit" every day..  

E

Edited by triorbonk 2009-01-20 3:48 PM

2009-01-20 10:50 PM
in reply to: #1916884

User image

Dearborn, MI

Hey Kristen, are you going in for a fit?  I need to drop off my bike to have the bars switched out so maybe i'll swing by tomorrow evening and just leave it.  I'm always up for a drink so let me know if you're still planning on being there.

-Roque

2009-01-20 11:13 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Wish I could make it...I'm in NYC until Friday, don't have much of a choice there. Enjoy your fit / refit.
2009-01-21 9:09 AM
in reply to: #1919498

Master
sweetchicken - 2009-01-20 11:50 PM

Hey Kristen, are you going in for a fit?  I need to drop off my bike to have the bars switched out so maybe i'll swing by tomorrow evening and just leave it.  I'm always up for a drink so let me know if you're still planning on being there.

-Roque

I'll be there at 5:30pm for a fit. Come on up! That way I won't feel like such a noob with someone else there!
2009-01-21 10:07 AM
in reply to: #1919869

User image

Dearborn, MI
Sounds good.  I'll be the only long hair in there. (besides the chicks)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike and Bike Shop Recommendations Rss Feed  

of 2