General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Rockingham Waikiki - Pursuit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

City of Rockingham Waikiki - Pursuit - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Waikiki, Western Australia
Australia
Trievents WA
27C / 81F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 23s
Overall Rank = 249/332
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 14/19
Pre-race routine:

Up at stupid oclock to down some crumpets and golden syrup then drove down to Waikiki. It was only when I was driving down to the beach that it occured to me that Waikiki beach is also warnbro sound.
Warnbro sound is where a guy was taken by a shark just before christmas! awesome not quite sure why that didn't register with me before the race. As everyone had been talking about whether it might be changed into a duathlon.

I did have a moments hesitation before i went with the tried and tested mantra I have more chance of being knocked off my bike then eaten by a shark.

got to the race start pretty much on time. registered, racked my bike and was all set up in a very quick time frame. was standing there looking at my watch thinking hmm now what am I going to do for the next 2hours!

found heaps of people to chat too including Sean (try-athlete) debated with everyone whether it was worth wearing a wetsuit or not for a 750m swim in 23.8degree water. after talking to my coach and learning he was wearing his wettie I decided to go with the wetsuit, (in hindsight I think I would have been better without it. but more on that later)
Event warmup:

I did absolutely no warm up. I talked and just wondered why I was actually doing this race. had a very big I can't be bothered attitude, and really was thinking I should have stayed in bed. was in a wierd mood. after milling around talking for ages it was finally time for race briefing down on the beach. it was only then that I learnt the swim course had been Modified!! NOT happy about that. as a result of the shark death and the numerous shark sightings in the last 3 weeks the course was changed to an m shaped course involving a swim out to some bouys, then in to the shore running around some bunting and back out for a second swim!
I was not impressed. I did not sign up for any more running then the 5k's :)
Swim
  • 12m 29s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 40s / 100 meters
Comments:

So I was standing on the beach wondering what I was actually doing why I was doing a race. Then the gun sounded and off I went hurdling the small waves with a group of girls. I hate running into the water but I think I did a pretty good job, porpoised a few times and then with a skyrocketed heart rate I started swimming. tried to calm the heart rate down but also wanted to push the swim today so was struggling for breath a little. right the way out till the first buoy.

It was a bit of a violent swim but I managed to settle down after the first buoy and then started taking advantage of the chop/current/swell and was working with the small swell big kicks at the top of a wave and soon I seemed to be passing girls. rounded the second buoy and lined up the shore to swim in. had a great swim in with the waves behind us. even started passing guys in the wave in front of me.

I really think some people have no idea how to finish a swim off properly. I swim right into the shore till your fingers touch the bottom before a few porpoises and then start running when the water is knee deep or less. so many people were running in chest deep water! its just not fast doing it that way. Anyway I stuck to my exit strategy (hehe) and passed a whole pile of people!
ran up and round the bunting. (I was not happy to be running on the sand with no shoes on! but it was only about 20m's so just sucked it up) back into the water for part 2 of the swim. Had a good swim this time. no good drafting though. I found a set of toes to draft off but realised I was actually wnanting to go faster so took off round them. was glad I did because they went way off course on the way back in. I beat them too the shore well and truly.

back on dry land and up the long ramp to transition.
What would you do differently?:

swim faster! probably not wear a wettie, I didn't know we were going to be running, I wouldn't have worn it if I knew e were going to be running. it was pretty damn hot in the water too.
I think any advantage speed wise from the wettie over 750ms was probably lost in transition.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

stripped of the wetsuit pretty quickly. but messed around a bit putting on my tri shoes. the new shoes aren't as easy to get on just yet. think thety need to loosen up a little.
Bike
  • 38m 31s
  • 20 kms
  • 31.16 km/hr
Comments:

Out on the bike, I knew I'd had apretty good swim and was hoping to not drop too many spots on the ride. I did manage to pass a few people but a WHOLE lotta people passed me. It was pretty windy but I just held onto my speed into the wind and pushed it as hard as could with the tailwind.

a few idiots out on bikes today, a trio blatantly drafting and riding 3 abreast came close to knocking me off my bike. I was very happy to see a TO a few mins later book 2 of them. oh dear :)

Pretty happy with my bike I couldn't really have pushed it much harder today, need to get back into training and over the Ironman and I'll get faster!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

shoes came off really easily and the runners were on in a flash, elastic laces are great!
Run
  • 25m 21s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 04s  min/km
Comments:

I was worried about the run, I've only been back running for 2 weeks and my calf is not playing the game. I was pretty happy when I started running that I coudl only feel the calf as a dull ache. I trotted off fingers crossed hoping I could get to the finish line without a calf tear!

it stayed as a dull ache the entire run but didn't flare up so I was happy.

I really tried to run fast today and pushed it as hard as I could, don't think I've ever run a 25min 5k before. I managed to hold of a friend till the finish line. we actually crossed the finish line together

More run training~
Post race
Warm down:

no cool down at all. I had a very quick chat to my friends, then threw my gear into my bags showered changed in a flash and was in the car heading towards a 2year old birthday party! (I do not recommend that after a tri!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training, calf issues.

Last updated: 2009-01-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:29 | 750 meters | 01m 40s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/19
Overall: 134/332
Performance: Good
Suit: long sleeved 2xu wettie
Course: M shaped course. swim out to a buoy, right hand turn at the buoy swim parallel to shore to a second buoy right hand turn. swim into shore. Run around bunting, back into water and swim to a third buoy right hand turn again parrallel to shore to the forth buoy right hand turn and into shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 24C / 75F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:31 | 20 kms | 31.16 km/hr
Age Group: 13/19
Overall: 253/332
Wind: Headwind
Course: 2 laps of an out and back course with a few undulating dips!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:21 | 05 kms | 05m 04s  min/km
Age Group: 15/19
Overall: 279/332
Performance: Average
Course: out and back lap along the coast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-01-18 9:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: City of Rockingham Waikiki - Pursuit

2009-01-18 9:53 PM
in reply to: #1915545

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: City of Rockingham Waikiki - Pursuit

A PB for a 5km after a swim & bike, on a sore calf.

Your racing just gets better!

2009-01-18 11:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

mel, your first race back after an IM and you're going straight for the shark infested waters....

Damn you're brave! 

Despite the shore running, you had a GREAT swim time!  and I'm glad your calf held up for you. 

2009-01-19 4:47 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Great race!!! That was a fantastic swim and run! Very speedy! And even though you think you could have done better, the cycle looks great too

2009-01-19 8:20 AM

User image

Perth, WA

You did well, gotta love those elastic laces, makes for a real quick transition!

Good run (and good race)! Glad the calf held up for you. Smile

2009-01-19 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Nice race Mel!  I'm glad to see you back racing.

Ernie

2009-01-21 3:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane

Sounds like you had a good race Mel.

A nice way to start the year.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Rockingham Waikiki - Pursuit Rss Feed