Overall Rank = 195/
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Run
  • 1h 29m 4s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

The weather was a little warmer than I would have liked (55F) and humid. My only other 1/2 marathon was a year ago and it was 40F so I don't have much to compare it to.

I was worried about being able to start the 1st mile at my pace since last year I was stuck behind so many people. Greg and I made it to near the front of the pack. Gun goes off and I had no crowd issues this time, 1st mile @6:50. There was one guy that shoved us from behind and yelled "You're going to slow to be up here" as he darted through. I laughed and thought see ya at mile 9. I was really surprised at the number of people that were huffing and puffing before we even hit the 1st mile marker, guess adrenaline got the best of them...

Most of the run is a blur, I just focused on keeping my HR under 180bpm and not tripping. The crowd seemed to be much larger this year and some of the intersections were crazy loud! It was great motivation but I had to keep slowing myself down when running through them.

Around mile 10, I saw the guy who darted through us in the beginning and thought well I feel great, I'll pick it up. Then last years race popped into my head and I thought well I'll respect this mile and then pick it up. About mile 11.5mi I passed the guy, gave a little nod and laid down the hammer, 6:33. Only 1.1mi to go, I pretended every person in front of me was stealing my slot to clearwater which helped a ton my last mile was 6:14.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, I had way to much left in the tank at the end but I wanted this race effort to be <180bpm so I was completely aerobic as I would be at the end of a 70.3. The goal time was 1:30:00 so I can't complain. I just hope this will translate to 1:35:00 at the end of the 70.3 with 10 more weeks of training and a taper!
Post race

Last updated: 2009-01-19 12:00 AM
Running
01:29:04 | 13.1 miles | 06m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-01-19 9:22 AM

User image

Master
Houston
Subject: Houston Half Marathon

2009-01-19 9:54 AM
in reply to: #1916022

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: Houston Half Marathon

What a great race!  FAST!!!

The crowds were thick and it did require a lot of dodging, even at a 12 min/mile pace. 

Fantastic effort!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Houston Half Marathon Rss Feed