General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Create your own bikelane... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-21 8:46 AM

User image

Expert
New York
Subject: Create your own bikelane...
For those of us who brave traffic on our bikes every day, often witnessing our lives flash before our eyes, could someone really for real invent this gadget???

http://www.terrapass.com/blog/posts/create-your-own-bike-lane?utm_s...

2009-01-21 8:53 AM
in reply to: #1919800

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: RE: Create your own bikelane...
That is soooo cool. You know, I never understand when I'm out riding why cars drive so close when they have plenty of room to go around. I figure it's because they are angry that I'm out doing something good for myself. But that is really cool!
2009-01-21 8:54 AM

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
Pffffft, yea, and one day men will actaully land on rhe moon. And while yoiur dreaming...how about a black president!!!!

Edited by ditchdoc 2009-01-21 8:54 AM
2009-01-21 9:03 AM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario
simpler to just take a 3 foot length of semi-rigid flexible plastic tubing, glue a nail on the end, then attach it to your seatpost horizontally, facing towards the centre of the road. Instant bike lane. 
2009-01-21 9:07 AM
in reply to: #1919860

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

sty - 2009-01-21 9:03 AM simpler to just take a 3 foot length of semi-rigid flexible plastic tubing, glue a nail on the end, then attach it to your seatpost horizontally, facing towards the centre of the road. Instant bike lane. 

Im really beginning to like like you Sty...no, NOT like That!!! (  Not there is anything wrong with that.)

2009-01-21 9:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Firestone, CO

Does this come with the forward pointing laser to shoot at the rear view mirror? Laughing

Ace

Edited by acefaser 2009-01-21 9:32 AM

2009-01-21 1:24 PM

Even if there was a device that created a bike lane, it would be worthless unless the local police actually enforce car and truck drivers to respect the cyclist rights to that section of the road. I have lived in cities with well marked bike lanes on some streets and from my experience they provide little protection. I find that drivers that respect the cyclist will give them room with or without marked bike lanes. Those who do not respect the cyclist rights do not ,whether the road is marked or not. There are cases that the police don't even respect the cyclist right to be on the road even though it is the law.

Even cities like Portland, Oregan that are "bike friendly" have reports of cyclist being killed even though they were in the bike lane.

Ride defensely as if your life depends on it, because it does.
2009-01-21 1:28 PM
in reply to: #1920551

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

browncd - 2009-01-21 2:24 PM Even if there was a device that created a bike lane, it would be worthless unless the local police actually enforce car and truck drivers to respect the cyclist rights to that section of the road. I have lived in cities with well marked bike lanes on some streets and from my experience they provide little protection. I find that drivers that respect the cyclist will give them room with or without marked bike lanes. Those who do not respect the cyclist rights do not ,whether the road is marked or not. There are cases that the police don't even respect the cyclist right to be on the road even though it is the law. Even cities like Portland, Oregan that are "bike friendly" have reports of cyclist being killed even though they were in the bike lane. Ride defensely as if your life depends on it, because it does.

Yeah, do that but also carry an extra waterbottle full of lacquer thinner to spray the buggers that get a little too close  

2009-01-21 1:38 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
That looks pretty cool. I don't think it would be that difficult with current laser technology to put something like that together. I think image stabilization and getting a wide enough beam to be visible from a distance would be obstacles to overcome.

On a more editorial note, I think people that would buy this are the people that already use other lighting systems to be visible and so probably wouldn't improve their safety but it is a cool looking concept anyway. In our area, there a lot of people that still ride at night with no lights, no reflectors, and obviously no brains. Aren't there laws about having some type illumination devices while riding at night?
2009-01-21 1:48 PM

Unfortunately heard of too many cases of bike accidents. Even one is too many.

In one case during a ride, even saw a couple guys in a car pulling up next to a cyclist and swerving into him to scare him and then started pushing cyclist with their hands out of the moving car. During an organized bike ride, with cyclists all around, he was lucky that we didn't catch up to him before the police did. They were very quick to respond.

So no matter if it's an organized bike ride or you are on your own, anything to make you more visible and spray off people like that would be helpfull i think.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Create your own bikelane... Rss Feed