General Discussion Race Reports! » P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Phoenix, Arizona
United States
Elite Racing Inc.
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 46m 39s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up before 6, drank some water. Ate a banana and a nutrition bar in the car. Laura and Travis (my favorite BT married couple) and I parked our rockin' rental car (The Boo) at the finish line and took a SCHOOL BUS to the start.
Event warmup:

Stood around in line for the John. Naturally the one I used had no toilet paper in it. I REALLY need to remember to bring that to big races. Travis and I made our way to the corrals and lined up a bit further up that I had been "assigned." The wave start moved pretty quickly and I ditched my long sleeved throwaway shirt before we crossed the start line.
Run
  • 2h 46m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Travis had decided to run with me as my pacer. I was going for a PR, and thought there was a slight chance I could actually drop my time pretty big.

We got going and it didn’t take long for the sun to get overhead and make me wish for more shade than there was. I felt ok for a while but by mile 6 I walked for a minute or so (I think it was mile 6). I knew that was bad for me since I don’t train with walk breaks. I started running again only to walk again. This is when the wheels fell off. At this point I let all hope of a PR or running much at all go out the window. I decided to release Travis of his pacing duties (he claims I fired him haha) and told him to go on ahead.

After a bit I realized I could conceivably PR even with some walking and feeling kinda like crap. I kept doing the math based on my Garmin time and my old PR and at some point decided to go for a PR, small - or nonexistent - as it might be. I did some walking but tried to press forward as much as possible.

As a cold weather (right now) runner and a Chicago flatlander (always) the “hill” in mile 9 was annoying! But I pressed on and figured there was a good chance I’d go home with a sunburn and a PR if I just kept moving.

I crossed the finish line in 2:46:39 which is a 2 minute 43 second PR. It was an ugly race, but I wanted a PR and somehow managed it.
What would you do differently?:

I trained pretty hard and was pleased with my training. It just didn't come together on race day. I don't think my nutrition on the course was that great. I tried to force the gels down.

I REALLY want to run a better half overall. I think I have it in me. I've had a hard time getting the mental determination during the races. Only ever had it for my first half. I'm tough in training, but raceday is another story.
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered around in a daze trying to find the "family" reunion area. We decided to meet under M for my new alter ego "Laurie Macaroni." But Laura and Travis found me as I exited the finish area. We walked up a few flights of stairs to get back to the car. Then we got In N Out Burger and Starbucks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The damn sun and "heat".

But whatever. Overall it was a killer weekend with friends. Ask Travis about how well Laura and I sing in the car.

Event comments:

I ran the Country Music Half last year and I really enjoyed the bands. This race I didn't really feel the same. I'll probably run the new Rock N Roll Chicago half in the summer.

Last updated: 2008-10-07 12:00 AM
Running
02:46:39 | 13.1 miles | 12m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-01-21 9:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Subject: P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half Marathon

2009-01-22 6:04 PM
in reply to: #1921557

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix
Subject: RE: P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half Marathon
Yay! You got a PR! I gotta say it again - I just love hearing you "snowy weather" people say it's hot out here in January. Hahahaha!!! Good job on the race!
2009-01-22 6:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Congratulations! I am one of the cold weather people too. When I flew out of MSP, the low for the day was -26 with a high in Phoenix of 79. You did it! Well worth the trip out there.
2009-01-23 4:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina

Dude.

The Boo was proud of you.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half Marathon Rss Feed