Overall Rank = 105/207
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 8/12
Swim
  • 07m 19s
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

Whew! This was my first triathlon, so I was nervous about the swim. All of my training swims had been done in my backyard 10M pool, hadn't swam in a 50M pool for probably two decades. My gawd, but that thing was long! :-) I got seeded way too close to the front due to a screw-up on my part when I registered online, so instead of being with the 2 min/100m swimmers like I should have been, I was with the guys in matching triathlon one-piece suits and Ironman tatoos on their calves...this was going to be fun. I gave it my best, and pleasantly, I looked like Mark-freakin'-Spitz...for the first 100m; unfortunately it was a 300m swim. I practiced every stroke known to mankind during the next 200m, got passed by several swimmers, even had one old lady do a kick turn off of my head at the 200m mark (I caught the old biddy on the bike and never saw her again after that).

Needless to say I was well and truly gassed as I staggered out of the pool and headed to T1. Afterwards though, when the official race pictures came out, I was pleased to note the fish-on-dry-land open-mouthed look EVERY swimmer had as they exited the swim portion!
What would you do differently?:

Get seeded properly, do NOT let myself get caught up in the event and stay within my abilities.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

I didn't have a tri suit or shirt, so I took time to don a bike jersey in T1--never again. I wasted 20+ seconds on this for no reason. The rest of my transition was good. I had practiced this at home several times, and studied tips on You Tube videos, so knew what to expect even though I'd never even seen one before, let alone participated.

Either use a tri one piece suit or ride/run without a shirt.
Bike
  • 40m 47s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.65 mile/hr
Comments:

I had trained just enough to know where I was comfortable, and I stayed within myself during the bike. As this was my first tri, I wanted to make sure I expended roughly equivalent portions of my energy on each of the three events. So my pace, while respectable, was not as fast as I could've gone.

Knowing now that the difference from riding 19.5-19 mph wouldn't have taken anymore from my run leg than riding 17.5mph, I would push it more on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Ok, here is a bright spot in my first tri. Although hitting the ground after the ride was a bit interesting, I knew what to expect from sims/bricks in training. Although I have to sit down to doff bike shoes and don running shoes, Velcro closure on bike shoes and Yankz on running shoes make this quite fast.
Run
  • 26m 37s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Although I had worked hard to open up my hip-torso angle in the lst 1/4 mile of the bike portion, and to stretch my calves, I was stil stiff during the first mile of the run. Much like on the bike, I stayed within myself and didn't try to press, running in the 8:3--ish range per mile even though I am easily capable of running in the low 7:00's per mile. I took a couple of very short walks to gram Gatorade at water breaks, but other than that kept moving.

Stretch out more on the bike, press more on the run, leave it all on the course!
Post race
Warm down:

Stretch, stretch, stretch!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Staying within the capabilities I knew I had practices in training, not pushing it too hard.

Last updated: 2009-01-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:19 | 328 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/12
Overall: 0/207
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri shorts
Course: 6 lap swim in 50M pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:29
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:47 | 12 miles | 17.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/12
Wind: Some
Course: Big loop course up Pearland Parkway and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ??
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:37 | 03 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/12
Course: Big loop course through neighborhood streets.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes