General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Phantom pains and other ways to tie running shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-26 3:38 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: Phantom pains and other ways to tie running shoes

I did my longest run ever this morning, 13.34 miles.  At about 11 mile mark I had the weirdest sensation.  My left foot felt like it was swelling up and it seemed like I was having a lot of pressure across the top of my foot.  I stopped quickly to check out the laces and looked fine but untied and retied my shoe not once but 3 times.  I finally said "screw it, it's all in my head" and kept on going and it did go away eventually.  When I got home I checked out my foot and all seemed normal with it. I've had weird things with my knees before that a couple of high steps or a quick walk takes care of but not this! Anything like this ever happen to you?

I recently went back to regular shoe strings that came with the shoes (<4wks/~80mi old) after the lock laces I carried over from my old shoes were losing their elasticity and was having issues with them.  Any way a friend of a friend that does marathons was having foot issues and her doc showed her another was to lace up her shoes that she said worked wonders for her, but I've yet to run into her to ask her about it. What other methods of lacing are there? Benefits?

2009-01-26 4:04 PM
in reply to: #1929902

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: RE: Phantom pains and other ways to tie running shoes
i just starting getting this yesterday myself. i remember reading something a while ago that the top of foot pain that most people attribute to excessively tight laces is actually tendonitis. I was able to find this link.
http://www.foot-pain-explained.com/tendonitis.html

hope this helps.

lisa
2009-01-26 4:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canyon Hills (Lake Elsinore), CA

Your friend could be talking about simply running the laces through the second to last hole on one side and then, staying on the same side run the lace through that hole.  Repeat on the other side.  Then cross the laces and run the lace through the new "lace eyelet" you just made.  It is supposed to keep your heal down without over tightening I believe.

2009-01-26 4:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
It could be something totally different, but I had this happen in MCM 2007 starting about mile 13.  I didn't stop, but kept running and by mile 25, the pain was so bad I walked the entire last mile.  Within a couple of days, the pain had spread to the bottom of my foot.  The ortho/sports med doc took x-rays and didn't really find anything wrong.  I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but he gave me a metatarsal pad to put under my arch, and I haven't had an issue since (15 months and 4 marathons later).  It was the exact same sensation though of the laces being too tight and pushing on the top of my foot. 
2009-01-26 5:02 PM
in reply to: #1930067

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I'll be honest, when I start hitting 11-12 miles in my long runs, I almost ALWAYS have some odd pain or interesting sensation...

As for lacing, I use a standard lace pattern AND I have bunjee laces on all my shoes.

2009-01-26 9:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
I saw these videos on the runner's world web site a while back.  Switching to the the 3rd technique shown where the laces go straight across instead of at an angle really helps me.  In fact I lace almost all of my shoes this way now.

2009-01-26 9:16 PM
in reply to: #1929990

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denton
Tim_H - 2009-01-26 4:05 PM

Your friend could be talking about simply running the laces through the second to last hole on one side and then, staying on the same side run the lace through that hole. Repeat on the other side. Then cross the laces and run the lace through the new "lace eyelet" you just made. It is supposed to keep your heal down without over tightening I believe.

This is what I do. 

2009-01-26 9:27 PM

Expert
Southeast

Well, since it was your first time at the distance, I wouldn't think twice about it.  All sorts of pains arise in that situation.

But yeah, there are a zillion ways to lace your shoes.  Check this site out, written by someone who's got way too much time on his hands:

http://www.shoe-lacing.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

I did find that varying the tension in my laces (less near the heel, more near the toes) helped with some issues similar to what you describe.  Others do it the opposite way (since lower tension near the heels can lead to slippage for some, and blisters.)  For how to do something like that, see the site above.

2009-01-26 9:39 PM
in reply to: #1930680

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Hey all thanks. Next time I run I'll have some different lacing in them, the video's were helpful.

Yeah that website above is pretty in depth.  I use to lace my lacrosse stick years ago with a traditional pocket, some of those shown blow that away!

It's not my 1st time at ~13 miles, I did 13.1 a couple of times before in a HIM and training but the 1st since PF  in 07-08. 

Thanks again, BT rocks!

2009-01-27 11:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have the same issue with my current running shoes and adjusted my lacing to something similar to the last example on the shoelace site that was called Lock Laces.

The difference is that I do the straight up to the next eyelet instead of crossing thing one set lower so it is right over where the pressure point was happening. I found that this relieved the pressure, but allowed more slippage than I liked. So at the top of the shoe, I went ahead and laced up to the very last eyelet that most people never use.

Also using Locklaces which I'm liking for the way the let the fit sort itself out and keep me from over/under tightening every time I tie my shoes.

2009-01-28 9:19 AM
in reply to: #1930695

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
I walked the dog then went for an easy run this morning and I used the technique of the 5th video from the Runnersworld link above while loosening up the cross laces.  It worked well once I found the proper balance to keep the heel stable and the fit I needed across the top of my foot.  I'm going to redo the laces per video #3 to see how it feels and maybe incorp the loops from #5.  Thanks again for all your feedback.

2009-01-28 9:28 AM

Runners world mag has some articles on that.

Check it out: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html

I see i'm a little too late with reply but iether way i use Lock Laces also

Edited by wannakona 2009-01-28 9:33 AM
2009-01-28 3:18 PM

Veteran
Wyndmoor, PA
I saw a podiatrist last week for a similar issue -- lots of soreness on the top of the foot when I run, but just on one foot. I thought it was irritation due to the laces as well at first, but after seeing this Dr. I think it may be more serious than that. He took an x-ray of the ankle from the side view while I put pressure/weight on that foot. What he saw on the x-ray was that I have bone like material that has built up on the top of the foot due to usage/sports/etc.. Now that that excess bone area has been added to the top of the foot, it rubs against the shin bone as I finish my running gate. Not sure if I am explaining it well, but basically the joint where the shin bone comes down into the ankle now has this bone material growing so my foot gets sore when I run from the friction -- bone on bone.

Only real solution is to have it scoped and trimmed down.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Phantom pains and other ways to tie running shoes Rss Feed