General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to use coke on the run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-01-28 1:29 PM
in reply to: #1933706

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: How to use coke on the run
JohnnyKay - 2009-01-29 5:11 AM

As noted, I don't think a detailed IM run nutrition plan is critical.  You have to be ready to adapt to whatever your body can handle by that stage.

Good call.

2009-01-28 2:17 PM
in reply to: #1932414

User image

Mesa
bryancd - 2009-01-27 3:57 PM

Gerrard - 2009-01-26 7:36 PM

kevinlbrown - 2009-01-27 12:30 PM

Once you start using hard drugs to cope with pain, you can never go back.

Don't do it!  Stay away from cocaine!

SAY NO TO DRUGS.

Always has to be one doesn't there

The biatch of it is running while holding the mirror flat, razor blade in your other hand, and the rolled dollar bill jammed up your nose.

You sound experienced Bryan. Explains the Sub 10 IM.
2009-01-28 3:18 PM
in reply to: #1930370

User image

The Natti
Here is the dealeo. This whole Coke thing started back when Mark and Dave were dualing it out on the Lava fields back in the 80's. Coke then was made from glucose, a fine source of carbohydrate/calories and it absorbs quickly with almost zero tummy distress.

Coke these days...well....it's high fructose corn syrup. Why? It's cheap and sweet. Not exactly the premier carb source and it will lead to stomach irritation if you drink too much over a longish period of time.

Having said that, (and having done a bunch of IM's) I certainly understand that at a certain point in the day you go with what you can get down. I would just not do it for too long.

HFCS is not what you want if you can avoid it. I always find that salty stuff goes down better. Sweets not so much.
2009-01-28 3:47 PM

Veteran
Sun Prairie, WI
I hit Coke (hard) after a long hard run/ride for a quick pickup so I don't fall asleep on the way to the shower. I've never used it in a race. I honestly can't tell you how relieved I am to read of all the people more or less "throwing" their nutrition plans out and trying new stuff mid-run. It's less intimidating going into my first IM knowing some finishers "winged it". I don't plan to wing it, but it gives me some flexibility I thought I didn't have.
2009-01-28 9:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
I have to say that this is the first time I have ever heard of this coke drinking in a race. I've seen/done the pickle juice, beer, candies, and a bunch of other things but never coke.
2009-01-29 9:15 AM
in reply to: #1933739

Extreme Veteran
Do you carry the gel flask in a pocket or on a belt?

2009-01-29 10:50 AM
in reply to: #1935317

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Side pocket of my tri suit.
2009-01-29 7:05 PM
in reply to: #1930432

User image

bryancd - 2009-01-26 5:32 PM I hit the Coke around the 10K of a half or 13.1 of the full. Whatever gets you home, baby!

Haha, YES!! I love it.

2009-02-13 9:52 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, WI
I did not read every post, but there is a medication called EMETROL, which is for nausea and vomiting...it is concentrated coke syrup. So, coke in the later stages of a race helps in more ways than one.
2009-02-13 10:34 PM
in reply to: #1934131

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

infinIT 1 - 2009-01-28 3:18 PM Here is the dealeo. This whole Coke thing started back when Mark and Dave were dualing it out on the Lava fields back in the 80's. Coke then was made from glucose, a fine source of carbohydrate/calories and it absorbs quickly with almost zero tummy distress. Coke these days...well....it's high fructose corn syrup. Why? It's cheap and sweet. Not exactly the premier carb source and it will lead to stomach irritation if you drink too much over a longish period of time. Having said that, (and having done a bunch of IM's) I certainly understand that at a certain point in the day you go with what you can get down. I would just not do it for too long. HFCS is not what you want if you can avoid it. I always find that salty stuff goes down better. Sweets not so much.

Not that I expect you to be the coke expert, but what about foreign coke? It always seems to taste a little different in places like Europe and Mexico.

2009-02-14 11:12 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

I drank some coke, for the first time near the end of my 1/2, and the pick up was awesome.  I never did train using it, just because I don't usually need the extra calories, and it seems like junk food.

I tried it at about mile 22 in IMFL and it made me naseous.  It took at least another mile or two to get over the coke. 

I suggest that if you decide to try anything in your race that you haven't experiemented with take just a sip or two first and see how that sets.  If it's ok you can have more. 

For me the last 6 miles were a different world, and I just experimented with what was available to see what helped.

2009-02-15 7:47 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I was having some pretty major GI issues during my IM...so I hit the coke from the GET GO.

In fact, I had some in my T2 bag so I'd have my own personal supply.  It was supposed to be for an emergency...well, this was an emergency!

Coke can totally make you revive.  I've even used it on training rides in desperate situations.  Like you pull into the gas station wanting to fall off your bike.  Drink some coke...voila!

So, I used it the WHOLE marathon because I was trying to be kind to my tummy.  I don't think small quantities generates enough calories.  By my third loop I was STARVING and eating anything I could get my hands on at the aid station.  But for those first two loops Bananas and coke were GOLD!

I did not dilute...but if you have a problem with your mouth feeling sugary you may want a water chaser.  Sometimes I felt a bit thirsty until I got to the next aid station if I didn't have a smidge of water afterwards.

2009-02-18 7:30 AM
in reply to: #1962919

User image

The Natti
jldicarlo - 2009-02-15 7:47 AM

I was having some pretty major GI issues during my IM...so I hit the coke from the GET GO.

In fact, I had some in my T2 bag so I'd have my own personal supply.  It was supposed to be for an emergency...well, this was an emergency!

Coke can totally make you revive.  I've even used it on training rides in desperate situations.  Like you pull into the gas station wanting to fall off your bike.  Drink some coke...voila!

So, I used it the WHOLE marathon because I was trying to be kind to my tummy.  I don't think small quantities generates enough calories.  By my third loop I was STARVING and eating anything I could get my hands on at the aid station.  But for those first two loops Bananas and coke were GOLD!

I did not dilute...but if you have a problem with your mouth feeling sugary you may want a water chaser.  Sometimes I felt a bit thirsty until I got to the next aid station if I didn't have a smidge of water afterwards.

Fructose is one of the most difficult sugars for your gut and can irritate the stomach lining , you might have been trying to be "kind" to your gut. But the science says exactly the opposite.

There are time when you have to go with whats working during a race if your plan has gone bad. If coke is the thing that is working, perfect. But it would not be my first preference as fuel.

As far as the International Coke being different, yes. I have a Mexican store that I buy Coke. It is made from natural sugar. Tastes WAY better. HFCS is not good for the body.

Again, the whole "sugar spike" thing is not accurate during exersise. Your body is looking for calories...period. Simple, complex whatever.

The main thing is to get a blend of carbs, your body will be able to absorb 25-30% more. Single source drinks like Gatorade, Hammer and Coke will limit how many calories you will be getting.

But again, there are time you HAVE to go with what you can get down.
2009-02-18 8:07 AM
in reply to: #1932414

User image

Pro
Texas
bryancd - 2009-01-27 5:57 PM

Gerrard - 2009-01-26 7:36 PM

kevinlbrown - 2009-01-27 12:30 PM

Once you start using hard drugs to cope with pain, you can never go back.

Don't do it! Stay away from cocaine!

SAY NO TO DRUGS.

Always has to be one doesn't there

The biatch of it is running while holding the mirror flat, razor blade in your other hand, and the rolled dollar bill jammed up your nose.

I came in here to make this joke.

/kicks dirt
2009-02-19 1:28 PM
in reply to: #1967942

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
infinIT 1 - 2009-02-18 6:30 AM

Fructose is one of the most difficult sugars for your gut and can irritate the stomach lining , you might have been trying to be "kind" to your gut. But the science says exactly the opposite. There are time when you have to go with whats working during a race if your plan has gone bad. If coke is the thing that is working, perfect. But it would not be my first preference as fuel.

Heh...funny YOU should be the one to reply to my post.  Plan A was Infinit.   Halfway through the bike I had the $HITS so bad I had to stop eating by the 3/4 point of the bike.  That never happened to me in training though...so I don't blame the Infinit.  Pretty sure there was something in the Tempe Town Lake water.

So after not eating AT ALL for about two hours, I started the run and had to figure out what to eat.  I started with small pieces of banana trying to make the stop, but I needed some quick sugar too.  So I went with the coke.  Bananas and coke saved my ARSE!

Edited to add: I cringe to think how much infinit I wasted that day.  I had at least a whole concentrated bottle left on my bike and I never touched the concentrated gel flask I started the run with.  In fact, as I came around the first loop I told my friends to hold out their hands and I ditched all the nutrition I had brought with me and just lived off the course for the next two laps.  Also edited was the spelling of $HITS since it deleted it the first time.  Stoopid filter.  My post makes no sense without that!

Edited by jldicarlo 2009-02-19 1:32 PM
2009-02-20 3:14 PM
in reply to: #1971044

User image

The Natti
jldicarlo - 2009-02-19 1:28 PM

infinIT 1 - 2009-02-18 6:30 AM

Fructose is one of the most difficult sugars for your gut and can irritate the stomach lining , you might have been trying to be "kind" to your gut. But the science says exactly the opposite. There are time when you have to go with whats working during a race if your plan has gone bad. If coke is the thing that is working, perfect. But it would not be my first preference as fuel.

Heh...funny YOU should be the one to reply to my post.  Plan A was Infinit.   Halfway through the bike I had the $HITS so bad I had to stop eating by the 3/4 point of the bike.  That never happened to me in training though...so I don't blame the Infinit.  Pretty sure there was something in the Tempe Town Lake water.

So after not eating AT ALL for about two hours, I started the run and had to figure out what to eat.  I started with small pieces of banana trying to make the stop, but I needed some quick sugar too.  So I went with the coke.  Bananas and coke saved my ARSE!

Edited to add: I cringe to think how much infinit I wasted that day.  I had at least a whole concentrated bottle left on my bike and I never touched the concentrated gel flask I started the run with.  In fact, as I came around the first loop I told my friends to hold out their hands and I ditched all the nutrition I had brought with me and just lived off the course for the next two laps.  Also edited was the spelling of $HITS since it deleted it the first time.  Stoopid filter.  My post makes no sense without that!

LOL, $h!t happens.

Race day is different. What works in training perfectly somethimes goes screwy. When that happens, you are forced to go to plan B...or C...or D.

Been there done that for sure!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to use coke on the run Rss Feed  

of 2