General Discussion Triathlon Talk » One on One PT/Multi Sport Orthotics - Reviews Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-27 4:17 PM

Subject: One on One PT/Multi Sport Orthotics - Reviews
I've had ITB, popliteus and pernoneal nerve inflammation for more than a year (I had real issues at mile 9 at ING GA and that's when the popltieus and peroneal were diagnosed) and have been to Atlanta Sport Medicine (they fired me and said they can't help me anymore that I need to rest which I've done on several occasions) and PT and I'm still having issues as I train again for ING 1/2 mary.

Today I went to Emory Sports Medicine to see Dr. Brandon Mines (anyone been to him?) and he referred me for evaluations at One on One PT and Mulit Sport Orthotics. Has anyone been to either place? Dr. Jim Fox is at Multi Sport Orthotics. This past fall I went to Dr. Peebles at Atlanta Foot & Ankle and was given heel lifts due to my high arch and instep but was told that I don't need orthotics since I'm a stable runner. Phiddipidees (sp) also confirmed that I'm a stable runner. I've been wearing Brooks Adrenaline for years and I believe that my running shoes are the right ones for me.

I was also advised not to run until I get the evaluations. I did get an appointment tomorrow at One on One PT and Multi Sports Orthotics on Monday.

Because my insurance doesn't cover One on One PT or Multi Sport Orthotics I wanted to get some feedback to see if anyone has been to either place and if they think it would be worth the investment. I'm optimistic that both places can get me on the road to recovery quickly once they evaluate me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2009-01-27 5:23 PM
in reply to: #1932234

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Subject: RE: One on One PT/Multi Sport Orthotics - Reviews

I don't have much advice, but I would love to hear how things go.  I saw Dr. Mines a couple years ago for ITB issues.  He referred me to a PT (not One on One, though).  I'm currently seeing Dr. Peebles for posterior tibialis tendinitis.  He gave me some arch inserts for my running shoes but doesn't think I need orthotics.  I had someone mention Jim Fox to me this past weekend and I actually looked at the website today.  I don't think my insurance covers it, though, so I'm a little hestiant to make an appointment.  Please post your thoughts after you go, though

Oh yeah - I also went to Atlanta Sports Medicine. I saw Dr. Garten for bursitis in my knee last year and did some PT there.  Ultimately a cortisone injection was the cure for that.  Dr. Garten seemed good to me.

Edited by lawyerchick 2009-01-27 5:25 PM
2009-01-27 6:11 PM

User image

I HAD similar issues along with plantar fasciaitis and saw the guys @ Atlanta Sports Med and bought their high-dollar orthotics.  They were Ok for about a year and I had a relapse and went to Dr. Julian at Atl foot & ankle and he told me to trash those orthotics and try going without.  What do ya' know...it worked.  I also had incorporated trigger point therapy and have since eliminated my knee pain and my foot pain all together.  Did 20 miles Saturday in prep for ING and went or a 5 mile walk Sunday with the family.  Check out www.tptherapy.com, well worth the money.  There is nothing worse than wanting to train and being held back by an injury.  Good luck at ING! 

2009-01-27 8:12 PM
in reply to: #1932453

Thanks for the link for tptherapy. I use the foam roller and stick (along with Thera bands) nightly so I'm curious if tp therapy would achieve the same results?

I'll provide feedback regarding One on One Therapy and Multi Sport Orthotics after my visits with them.

My goal is to be able to run ING, if not, I'll use the time to get healthy for tri season!

Hope to see you out there!
2009-01-28 8:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville
I am kinda new and have foot pain issues as well but don't know what its called or anything.  Mainly I hurt like hell for the first 20 min or so of some of my runs.. bottom of heel and outside of bottom of foot... Sunday the first 40 minutes both feet hurt like hell then after a long time warmed up and stopped hurting but then After my long run sunday, my right foot was swollen and I could barely walk on it but it was fine by noon monday!?  What gives? I have been having this foot pain on and off and want to make sure I don't do anything that permanently could screw up my feet....i bought some fancy insoles but I have noticed they make my running shoes heavy...I know ya'll are not doctors but could you give me some basics on what to look out for and what to do about my ouchy feet?   
2009-01-28 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
I have orthotics that I had made a year ago at Multi Sport Orthotics and love them.  I had some before these that a podiatrist made and what a huge difference in material used.  I got mine "just because" I thought it would be a good idea for me to have the correct support for running.  I have had an IT problem once years ago.  Same with plantar facitis (sp????) - once.  Also had back surgery 3 years ago.  When I started running again I was feeling all sorts of little things that I did not want to turn into big things.  So far so good.

2009-01-28 3:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Knoxville

My first 1 year of running I had consistent ITB problems. I went to One on One and it took forever to get better. (I religiously followed the program). Fast forward to last summer out of nowhere my ITB flared up again with a vengance. I had definite biomechanical issues that had not been fully corrected and as I ramped up my workouts beyond what I was used to doing, my ITB freaked out. This time, I went to the sports rehab center for PT (as well as 1st Choice healthcare center for ART therapy) and healed up in no time. (part of my quick recovery was that I did not wait for treatment)I haven't had problems since and my volume for each discipline is as high as it has ever been.

At one on one, you will be the PT's only patient at your appointment time. At other places, the PT may be working with several people at the same time. The basic treatment is the same, determine the underlying biomechanical problem and correct it. The approach may be different, i.e. at one on one they used a pilates based approach whereas at the other place, they used non-pilates excersises. Both clinics worked for me and both of the PTs I worked with were great. The main differentation between One on One and many other clinics (like the sports rehab center) is the level of service. The art and science of treating the injuries will be very similar, the extras will be better at one on one.

I also have orthotics from Jim Fox and have no complaints. I've put them through hell and need to replace them.

Finally, try contacting 1st Choice Healthcare. They are a Chiropractic Clinic that focuses on Athletes and are particularly active in the tri community (one of the Docs is my swim coach). They provide ART (Active Release Therapy) which works wonders on ITB problems.

I hope this helps.

2009-01-28 6:33 PM
in reply to: #1934119

Thanks for your great feedback and other recommendation regarding 1st Choice which I will definitely keep in mind.

I went to One on One and met with Barbara Vaughan DPT and I really liked her. She was thorough with all of her testing and evaluation, and even spent and additional 30 minutes with me at no extra charge:-) which was even better since I'm unemployed due to a recent layoff.

Anyway, turns out and to no surprise, I have weak glutes, hips and core. Barbara showed be two basic exercises that I'll build on. She also recommended down the road, pilates which I've been avoiding for years since it's totally boring to me but I know it's neccessary,

I'm going back tomorrow to One on One tomorrow for more of the same since we ran out of extra time. Fortunately, I have time to take care of this now. It was advised that I don't run for 2 weeks and pretty much don't run ING unless I want to still experience pain.

Next up - Dr. Jim Fox and a gait assessment and possible orthotics.
Stay tuned!
2009-01-28 6:43 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Fox is great.  I purchased orths two years ago and was happy for it.  He will set you up if you go that way.
2009-02-14 3:02 PM

I wanted to give feedback regarding my recent visits at Multi Sport Orthotics and One on One PT.

Dr. Fox was really helpful at Multi Sports Orthotics. He gave me the off the shelf orthotics and made a few adjustments as I tend to curl my left toes. He also recommended neutral running shoes due to my high arches (and instep) vs. the stability ones I've been wearing for years that were recommended by a local running stores that I've been going to 10+ years. They apparently never checked my arches which may be one of the contributing factors with all my imbalances and injuries. I was wearing Brook Adrenaline GTS 7 (Stability) for years which were the incorrect shoes for my rigid ankles and arches.

Per Dr. Fox I went to West Stride on West Paces & Northside and they were really knowledgeable and videoed my stride on the treadmill which was interesting as I've never had anyone check that out before. I ended up getting Asics Cumulous (Neutral) which I didn't like since they rubbed my instep and Achilles. I swapped them out for Brooks Glycerin (Neutral) which I tried with my new orthotics on the treadmill today and they felt good.

I've been going to One on One PT once a week and Barb has been great as she's showing me how to strengthen my core, glutes and hips which are quite weak and also contributing to my injuries. I have lots of home exercises I have to do and it will take some time to get all the bio mechanics functioning properly. I haven't been able to run in a few weeks per the Dr. and PT, so next week I get to try a big 1/4 mile on the treadmill. It looks like ING 1/2 will be out for me, but I'm optimistic that I can healthy and stronger in time for tri season.

BTW - I have a brand new pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 7 Women's size 7.5 that I bought at the ING expo last year if anyone is interested in buying them for $60 obo since I'm not supposed to wear Stability shoes anymore. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks again for all your feedback and recommendations
2009-02-14 5:17 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
It's great to hear you are getting better!

2009-02-14 8:24 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
I knew Fox would hook you up...he is good at what he does.
2009-02-15 3:21 PM

You should try PT Solutions.  They are triathletes, have an endurance club and understand what it's like to want to be back out there racing!   All the therapists are excellent!

J

2009-03-03 2:15 PM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
I went and saw Jim Fox today.  I thought he was very knowledgeable and definitely knows his stuff.  I go back in 2 weeks to get my custom orthotics.  Let's hope they do the trick!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » One on One PT/Multi Sport Orthotics - Reviews Rss Feed