General Discussion Triathlon Talk » shin splints Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-09 5:55 PM

Chicago, IL
Subject: shin splints
Can anyone give me any advice about how to deal with shin splints? (Not the proper term anymore, I know. What I'm referring to is pain in the area on the front portion of my leg, to the inside of the shin bone.)

I have them on both legs and have done everything I can think of to treat them. I started by taking it a little easier than normal with the running and applied ice and kept my legs elevated whenever possible. When that didn't work, I started trying other things. I've been to the doctor and had ultrasound and electrical stimulation done; I've also had acupuncture (both with the current and without), and for a few days I took a drug that's supposed to help open up the blood vessels in your legs (had to quit taking it because it gave me an ongoing headache). As a last resort and in order to let me run enough to at least finish an indoor tri (my first!) this coming weekend, I'm taking tylenol with codeine (brand name Panlor DC). Today is the first day, and so far I've taken two capsules, and it hasn't helped much. I'm planning to take two more before my run tonight.

I've been running three or four miles 3 or 4 times a week for years, and while this has cropped up from time to time, it's never been this bad. I've always been careful to wear top quality shoes and get good advice about what model shoe is best for my gait, etc., so I'm at a total loss about what to do.

ANY help would be WONderful!

Thanks!

2004-03-09 7:59 PM
in reply to: #11462

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Subject: RE: shin splints
Don't want this to sound the wrong way, but if you need T#3 to manage the pain, it's definitely time to back off and reassess. Check out the BT main page: Dr. Pribut's running injuries (or something like that). A fair amount of worthwhile information there. I found some exercises and tips to try and help my PFPS that I experience when I run. Hope this helps and steer clear of the heavy duty pain meds. ;-)
2004-03-09 8:32 PM

User image

Regular
North Carolina, USA
Shin splints are often caused my a muscle imbalance. This is usually because your calf muscles aren't strong enough. When I use to get the shin pains coming on, I would do toe raises, but this would make them worse because it was strengthening my shins. My roommate, who is also a runner read in his running log and on www.letsrun.com that the best to get rid of them and to prevent them is to do calf raises. Stand with the balls of your feet on some stairs and go up and down about 20 times. Do a few reps and do this ever other night or every night. This will take of the problem. Hope this helps out.

Cory
2004-03-09 10:49 PM
in reply to: #11491

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA
Two stretches helped me go from having them all the time to not having them at all.

First one, stretch the shin muscles by pulling your foot toward you by the toes. Get some curl in the foot to increase the stretch.

Second, use your shin muscles to pull against resistance provided by your other foot. I put some pics up in my album here:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnail...
2004-03-10 8:00 AM
in reply to: #11489

Chicago, IL
Thanks, I realized last night that you're probably right about backing off. I took four Tylenol#3 just before my run, and it was still very painful. I didn't even finish the run. I'm killed, but I think I'm going to not do the intro baby triathlon I'd planned to do this weekend. Ugh. Major disappointment.
2004-03-10 8:03 AM
in reply to: #11532

Chicago, IL
Thanks, all, for the exercises and advice. I'll try everything you've suggested. The pics were totally helpful in terms of understanding what you were describing, wrybosome! I really appreciate it.

2004-03-10 8:03 AM
in reply to: #11532

Chicago, IL

Edited by beenbit 2004-03-10 8:04 AM
2004-03-10 8:07 AM

User image

NW Suburbs of Chicago
Gosh... 4 T3 with no relief sounds like someone is trying to tell you something.
Smart move to back off for now.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.
Keep checking in and let us know how it goes with the stretches suggested.
Got to keep our Chicago crew in tip top shape!
2004-03-10 8:12 AM
in reply to: #11603

Chicago, IL
Hey! Thanks for the encouragement from Chicago! The baby triathlon I was going to do this weekend was the indoor tri at Glen Ellyn. The "real" one I signed up for is the women's Reebok (used to be Danskin) one in July. Do you know anything about either of these? I think my plan will be to focus on swimming and biking for awhile to try to give my shin splints time to heal. Hopefully, they'll be in good shape in plenty of time to train for the run in July.
2004-03-10 8:35 AM

Canberra, Australia
i find the best thing to prevent and maybe help eleviate the pain ofshin splints is to rub so dencor rub (deep heat cream) into ur legs and stretch properly before running and then stop after 20-30 mins into the run to stretch again, but dont stop for too long or your mucseles will stiffen up. of course this is not really practicle in a running race much lessa triathlon. Whenever i get shin splints its usually within the first 30 mins of a run yet there gone within an hour anyone had similar experiences?
2004-03-10 9:38 AM

User image

Almere - The Netherlands
Have you tried other shoes? Or innersoles (sorry if the name is incorrect, but you know what I mean)?

I had shin splints when training for a 200k walk (not run). It seemed that after a long distance, my feet had been swallen so much, my shoes got too small. I corrected it be pulling my toes just a little little bit in. No problem for a short while, but walking on like that was the start of the problem.
I had to quit (long distance) walking/training for half a year before I was completely recovered.

Maybe it was just a specific problem for me, but I thought maybe it can be useful to say.

Loran

2004-03-15 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
I had problems with shin splints particulary the morning after and beginning of runs for several weeks. I was running in a cross training style shoe. Went to a running store got measured guy looked at my arch and the wear on my previous shoes brought out a few pair. I bought one of them. Recently I had my longest run to date (about 8 miles)and I fully expected my shins to hurt the following morning........NO pain. Shoes, I believe, made all the difference.

PS: In case you're wondering The shoe I bought was a Saucony Grid Hurricane 3D 6. They were $106. Little pricy had to sell a couple books and my older mp3 player and my old hockey gear at Play it Again but worth it in my opinion.
2004-03-15 11:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boise Idaho

Could be a number of things going on. check out this article on compartment syndrome and see if this sounds similar to what is going on. Here is the link, hope it helps! Jack.    http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,2-78-79-2859,FF.html 

2004-03-15 4:11 PM

Veteran
Northern IL
Have you incorporated any hills into your routine? That could make a difference. How old are your shoes? Maybe it's time to get a new pair. One thing I got to help with my shin splints and stretching altogether is "The Stick". You can see it at www.thestick.com Some people use a pvc pipe instead but it's the same concept. It helps stretch the muscles and offers a slight massage. It won't cure shin splints but helps with them in my case.

Mike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » shin splints Rss Feed